2Likes
  • 1 Post By gutthans
  • 1 Post By 67rayfan

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 06-16-2021, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
IowaJack
2018 JK Wrangler 

I have a hot wife

My wife has a 2018 2 door JK that is all black with a black soft top with manual doors and windows and no remote start and she is baking in the AZ sun.

This is her daily driver to work and there is no shade to park it under during the day and the high yesterday was 113. She does have a cloth dash mat and a windshield reflective cover, tinted soft top windows and she cracks the driver window just a bit to let some heat out. Is there anything she could do to help keep it cooler or cool it down quicker. The AC works well, but she only has a 10 min drive home. Would any of these things help

Ceramic window tint on the side doors and windshield
A tan colored soft top
a solar powered vent fan
A hard top
Is there an aftermarket remote start for these (it is an automatic)

Thanks for any and all ideas and info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-16-2021, 09:59 AM
MCMike37
Random Guy

2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm in the central CA valley where it promises to be 115 tomorrow so I feel the pain, especially with a black Jeep. I think you're best option is the remote start since you have the automatic. Even if you can only start it a few minutes prior it will take the edge off the scalding heat.

-The tan top would theoretically help, but I think it would take it from crazy stupid hot, to just crazy hot. Short term I think it would keep the Jeep from heating up (Quick run into store or something) but feel that after more than a half hour the difference would be minor if at all. Pure guess.
-I thought about these, and first off couldn't find one that had anything better than about a 3 star review, and in the end seem to suffer the same problem, you'd be moving hot air around, not cooling anything.
-With the hard top you could buy an insulation kit which again I would think would take you back to the first problem. Short term yes it would keep it cooler, but after a while the temp inside the car is what it is going to be regardless of what type of top.

Something else that you don't mention is a sunshade installed underneath the soft top. I find this helps to keep the radiated heat off the soft top from directly hitting the passengers, good while driving, but again does nothing while the car is sitting still. Of note, I actually stuffed a bunch of pillows between the shade and the hard top when I was driving across country, first for a place to put them and secondly it really helped again with the radiant heat as well as the noise. You could do the same with the soft top and some closed cell/dense foam you can get at craft shops, but again not sure the money would be worth it for your situation.

In the end it all comes back to find some shade to park under if possible, and spend the money on a remote start in my honest opinion.
post #3 of 11 Old 06-17-2021, 01:14 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Remote start. I have a 12 and an aftermarket remote start so it can be done.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 11 Old 06-17-2021, 01:22 PM
texbiker358
2017 JK Wrangler 

Several years ago I saw a commercial for a can of aerosol of water. The idea was spraying inside a vehicle the mist absorbed heat because the mist came out cold. Maybe try a mister with very cold water and spray it when she opens the door.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Texas Bicycling News, Events, Experiences
post #5 of 11 Old 06-17-2021, 01:40 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Spend about $250 on a Cover-King or similar reflective cover...
Wyo likes this.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Delta0

Are you boasting or complaining?
post #7 of 11 Old 06-17-2021, 02:10 PM
calisk8er1080

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Don't they make mesh tops that will keep the sun off the upholstery (and therefore not cooking it) but will also allow air to flow through as if it were topless?

Been MIA from here for a while... I'm trying to be active in this community again.
post #8 of 11 Old 06-20-2021, 09:37 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Leave the doors off or at least roll the windows all the way down.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-22-2021, 06:14 PM
67rayfan

Is it possible for you to purchase and setup a canopy at work? Would the management approve it?
That would do 80% of what you need I'm sure
Submariner likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-04-2021, 01:17 PM
Submariner

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67rayfan View Post
Is it possible for you to purchase and setup a canopy at work? Would the management approve it?
That would do 80% of what you need I'm sure
might be a pain in the a$$ but put up a pop up everyday over your jeep and tie it down to your jeep so it don't blow off or a way

Or maybe a big beach umbrella with the mount on the bumper so the shade is in the right place when she comes out from work.

Submariner and you wonder why I am this way LOL
post #11 of 11 Old 07-07-2021, 08:49 PM
Yeep99
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Ceramic tint your windshield and side windows, if legal.

I live in FL and do 35% on my windshields and 20% on my side windows...massive difference. Not legal here but cops don't bother me.

00 Camaro SS - 02 Firebird Firehawk
11 CTS V Coupe - 11 WK2 Limited
13 300 C - 15 JKU Willys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in