how to spend $3,000 on driveline/axle upgrades - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

how to spend $3,000 on driveline/axle upgrades

A little info: 2008 JK unlimited X, just upgraded to 6" lift, currently running 35" BFG KM2 but about to go to 37x13.5, stock axles with 5:13 gears, heavy duty adj. track bars, relocated brake lines, fox 2.0 shocks, etc..... My ride is a daily drive, dont do much rock climbing (live in florida) just a lot of beach riding, trail riding on sand and some water crossing.
I have about $3000 to spend and want to upgrade driveline and axles. I could buy a new dana 44 for front but that would use most of funds and I have already regeared. My question is, where is money best spent? Where are weakest points in driveline and suspension? I dont want to upgrade something just for sake of upgrading. So, should I upgrade axles with chrome moly axle shafts? Gussets? Should I replace drive shafts? Because I am now at 6" of lift should I upgrade to adjustable upper and lower control arms to get axles back in right position? steering upgrades? If I want to install lockers is it a waste to only do the rear axle and not the front axle at the same time?
Any feedback would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 PM
xplosivo1
2011 JK Wrangler 

If your running 37's you need to upgrade your drive shafts they will fail sooner than later. I don't think its necessary to upgrade to a D44 if you are only on light trails, at most gusseting should suffice. I'm no expert, but that is what I would do if I were in your shoes.

2011 Unlimited Rubicon / Bright White....stock (but it's a very capable stock)
2007 Unlimited Rubicon / Silver / 35 BFG AT 5/13 Gears / Pro Comp 4" lift - SOLD SOLD SOLD

"I can never again see a UNITED STATES MARINE without experiencing a feeling of reverence." -GEN. JOHNSON, US.ARMY
post #3 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Didnt say what lift kit you have, but I would get full adjustable control arms, track bars,tie rod, draglink and new brake lines. If you have an auto then chances are your front drive shaft is going to hit the tranny skid and limit flex, will need to do some cutting or get a new driveshaft. Could upgrade the ball joints, knockles, gusset the C's, sleeve the tube. I wouldnt worry about chromo axles tell you break the stock ones first. With your wheeling it sounds like a lunch box limited slip would work great, if not a detroit auto locker is bulletproof and works great in the rear.

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Charles
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplosivo1 View Post
If your running 37's you need to upgrade your drive shafts they will fail sooner than later. I don't think its necessary to upgrade to a D44 if you are only on light trails, at most gusseting should suffice. I'm no expert, but that is what I would do if I were in your shoes.
Driveshafts don't fail because of tire size, they fail because of increased pinion angles. The boot goes bad and then the grease escapes. They are plenty strong as far as torque capacity.

Your money is best spent sleeving and gusseting your front axle tube. Anything else that fails can be upgraded WHEN fails pretty cheaply. If you bend the axle tubes you're in for some $$.

Hopefully, as the guy above me said, you already have 4 adjustable control arms and new driveshafts because you did the lift correctly. Anything less is half finished job.

You can wait for the driveshafts to fail because if they go it won't be catastrophic.

2017 TrailHawk Hemi, Everything but the TV's.
post #5 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 PM
ncb

You're at six inches of lift on stock steering, control arms and drive shafts?
post #6 of 12 Old 08-02-2011, 11:02 PM
FrankensteinOR

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Really need to know what lift you are running to answer this correctly but I would definetly toss a Currie steering setip onto the top of your list.

Currie Steering

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Use coupon code JeepForum for an additional discount!! Never pay for shipping again!!!
Low price Guarantee on all Currie Items.
post #7 of 12 Old 08-03-2011, 07:16 AM
dsjk

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
You're at six inches of lift on stock steering, control arms and drive shafts?
X1000

Unless you are running a very basic 3 in lift with another 3in body lift I have not seen any lift over 3.5ins that does not come with control arms already.

Also if you are at 6in lift you are also the only person that I have heard of that did not need to replace driveshafts after 2000 miles or so due to the angle and stress that is put on the driveshafts.

For what it sounds like sleeving and gusseting your axle will be almost top on the list espeically if you want to run 37's.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodooJK View Post
Something you said after the fact exposed that part of me... like a catholic school girl normally would.
post #8 of 12 Old 08-03-2011, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

sorry guys, should have given you more lift info. Original lift was a procomp 4" spring lift. lift included 4" springs, brake line relocation brackets, extended bump stops, reat trac bar relocation bracket, shocks, and longer front sway bar links. I have since added fox shocks for 6" lift and tereflex adjustable front trac bar. I am not convinced that I ever had 4" of lift. When my jeep was next to other JK's with 4" lifts, my jeep sat noticabley lower. and after a couple thousand miles, the front sagged and i had a rake similar to stock. I then added 2" teraflex spacers to front and 1" teraflex spacers to back to give me more lift and correct the rake issue. a month ago I ran into a guy who had 6" procomp springs and wanted to trade for some other stuff I had so i just installed those. So theoretically, I have 6" lift in back and 6" in front but not convinced it is truely 6". I knew by going to 6" i would need to upgrade other components which is my reason for this thread. Not sure I can get everything I need so wanted to prioritize and get the most critical upgrades first. thanks
post #9 of 12 Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 PM
Rescue13
2007 JK Wrangler 

Want to take a photo of it? Just so we can see how tall it actually is?
post #10 of 12 Old 08-04-2011, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

heres a photo
Attached Thumbnails
8-3-11.jpg  
post #11 of 12 Old 08-04-2011, 05:47 PM
DBA2GO

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman44 View Post
heres a photo
1st cool stickers.

2nd measure between center of axle & bottom of stock fender flare. I believe that stock that distance is about 21.5" on Rubicon 4-door. If you are at 27.5" then you have a 6" lift.

I can't believe that I'm saying this; but, 6" is a lot bigger than most people think. Be kind.

Happy trails.

One foot in the grave & one foot on the gas pedal!!
post #12 of 12 Old 08-04-2011, 08:23 PM
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Address steering a new driveshaft and sleeve/gusst IMO

truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in