How to open rear door, exterior thumb knob stuck pressed in - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-18-2020, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
RainyLake
2012 JK Wrangler 

How to open rear door, exterior thumb knob stuck pressed in

Hey all. My 2012 JKU was getting squeaky/stiff door latch thumb knobs over the last month or so. Silicone spray from the outside didn't help much - was ok for a week, then stiff again. They'd open but then the exterior thumb knob in the handle wouldn't retract, then the door wouldn't close without a bunch of messing around. But today one rear door got stuck closed with the outside thumb knob stuck in the depressed position, and bashing it, yanking the interior open handle, and leaning on the door and going ham on it aren't getting me anywhere.

The video I watched on YT about removing the interior panel (with the regulator/motor etc) seems to say that's connected to the actual latch mechanism, which I can't remove because I can't get to the screws becase the door is stuck shut. The other door I was able to take the interior panel off, spray some lithium grease in a couple spots and it's running good again. But this othe door is foobar - any tips before I take a grinder to the little loop that the latch holds onto, and start doing real damage to it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-20-2020, 06:06 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Lol, yea i sold my doors off long ago on our 12. even if you did cut the loop of what you see, it latches on the other side of that loop. so that wont work. unless you can cut both sides of the loop. so it wont open from the inside nor Fob? The only way will be to get through the panel.

Jk have hinges that can come off. But its still latched. maybe jiggling might make it open, no hing<BUT you could bend the fecal matter out of it easy too doing this lot can go wrong. Murphy and Fubar are close friends.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-21-2020, 12:19 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Try locking and unlocking it repeatedly. That might be enough to cause enough of a vibration or impact inside the mechanism to allow the regular latch to spring back like it should. I am just grasping at straws here.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-21-2020, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
RainyLake
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks 222Doc, your assessment is bang on. I found a few related threads and it seems like a sawzall is the better tool to get through both sides of the loop. Dealer will have a new striker plate loop in tomorrow, if I can't finesse it by then I'll just cut it.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-21-2020, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
RainyLake
2012 JK Wrangler 

Prot, had a similar idea, was hoping some road vibration and cycles with the key fob would help but so far nothing.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in