How do I best remove transmission pan on stock 2012 JK with automatic - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 06-25-2019, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
RainyLake
2012 JK Wrangler 

How do I best remove transmission pan on stock 2012 JK with automatic

I'm looking to do a transmission fluid and filter change by dropping the pan on my stock 2012 with auto/WA580 . I've watched a couple youtube videos and looked underneath and the clearance between the pan and the exhaust and one crossbar looks insanely tight. One video recomended jacking up the transmission (after loosening the bolts to the transmission crossmember) to get more clearance and I'm trying to figure that out.

Sorry if this is a total newb question. I'm new to this process and I just want to make sure I understand that part - does this assume I'm using jack stands holding on the front axles, so that the tranmission and hence the rest of the vehicle is resting only on the springs/suspension so that it will be free to move up an inch or two at that point. Is that right? Want to make sure I'm not going to bust or crack something if I put a jack there. But if that's what's going on, doesn't that mean the jack would be lifting the entire weight of the vehicle through the transmission, and could damage the housing? Or am I totally missing something?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-25-2019, 09:30 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

If I remember right, I had no issues getting to all the pan bolts without messing with the transmission crossmember. It's been a while since I did it but I don't remember doing anything like that.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in