Hot oil light... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 31 Old 08-01-2010, 08:15 AM
rah

2008 JK Wrangler 

Tranny Cooler is the way to go. Easy to install and not too much $$. I have had the light come on during my last trip out even on 4lo. The stock cooler is not very good. (I thnk mine had a bit of mud in it at the time)

2008 Steel Blue Wrangler Unlimited Sahara

More info
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 31 Old 08-01-2010, 08:49 AM
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

I've never had the chance to examine an Auto Transmission setup on JK yet.
But is the stock transmission cooler setup still the same as its been over the last 40 years where its basically a copper pipe that runs throught the Raditor tank?
post #18 of 31 Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 AM
vonhef
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavic View Post
I've never had the chance to examine an Auto Transmission setup on JK yet.
But is the stock transmission cooler setup still the same as its been over the last 40 years where its basically a copper pipe that runs throught the Raditor tank?
Not sure if is copper, but basically... yes it is the same cooler in the radiator.

post #19 of 31 Old 08-01-2010, 11:17 AM
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I was in 4 high but wasnt going very fast. It was shifting a lot and I did think of putting it in 4 low but I never had a problem before so I thought I could get away with it. Dumb, I know.
OK, thanks for the info - I was hoping you were in 4 High and it was shifting. Yeah, I haven't put in a transmission cooler, and it gets pretty hot in the desert here, but I always turn off the O/D when I'm wheeling and if I'm running below 20 then I throw it into 4 Low so I keep the fluid moving through the cooler faster, and it typically stays in 3rd so its locked up most of the time. Last month I was up in Colorado climbing some pretty good peaks (up to 13,000 feet), and I followed the same practice. So far I haven't had the light/ding thing.

I know a transmission cooler will help keep things cool, and Im not averse to making mods to my Jeep, but Im also thinking about the dealership and warrantee issues. If I keep the Jeep long enough I know the transmission will fail. I was hoping that when this one fails it will be covered by the warrantee. I take it to the dealer every 20k miles to have the fluid changed and every 40k to have the filter changed. Ive heard that the cooler wont hurt the warrantee, it can give the dealer an excuse to void the warrantee, they have to prove the mod made the transmission fail, etc. Im sure that if they decide to not cover the transmission failure due to the cooler I could try another dealer or get a lawyer and eventually win... Oh well, sorry got a bit off topic here

2008 Rubicon - 2 Door - Flame Red - Automatic - MyGIG - Power Group - Deep Tint.
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
post #20 of 31 Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

The engine fan thermo. is set to operate when the ENGINE gets hot, not the tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonhef View Post
Are you saying that the engine fan isn't already running? He said he was in the desert at 107 deg... I would think that his radiator fan would already be running. If so... seems to me that turning the AC on would introduce additional heat thru the radiator and into the factory transmission cooler.
If you don't have an aux fan mounted in front of the A/C condenser--then of course the A/C will induce more ENGINE heat, but the engine doesn't trigger the fan untill it gets around 200, regardless of the tranny heat !!

Install an aux cooler !!

JIMBO

Firecracker Red 2dr RUBICON--2018
Stinger Yellow 2016 RAM/Hemi/8spd auto 4x4

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #21 of 31 Old 08-01-2010, 01:55 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonhef View Post
Are you saying that the engine fan isn't already running? He said he was in the desert at 107 deg... I would think that his radiator fan would already be running. If so... seems to me that turning the AC on would introduce additional heat thru the radiator and into the factory transmission cooler.
The engine temp will cause the fan to come on only when it reaches 215F.
It will shut off when it goes back down to around 195F.

Turning on the A/C will cause the fan to run without regard to engine temp.
The air that the fan pulls through the transmission cooler is not affected by the temperature of the A/C condenser. They are mounted on the same plane, so the air can't go through one, then the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
The engine fan thermo. is set to operate when the ENGINE gets hot, not the tranny

If you don't have an aux fan mounted in front of the A/C condenser--then of course the A/C will induce more ENGINE heat, but the engine doesn't trigger the fan untill it gets around 200, regardless of the tranny heat !!

Install an aux cooler !!

JIMBO
According to the service manual, there are three things that will turn on the fan:

Engine temp above 215F

A/C system on

Transmission overheat condition

And yes, install an aux cooler.
post #22 of 31 Old 08-01-2010, 02:08 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

Thanx ronjenx, the last sys you mentioned about the engine fan coming on when the auto overheats is like putting an idiot light on a grenade, the tells you of danger "WHEN YOU PULL THE PIN" !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The engine temp will cause the fan to come on only when it reaches 215F.
It will shut off when it goes back down to around 195F.

Turning on the A/C will cause the fan to run without regard to engine temp.
The air that the fan pulls through the transmission cooler is not affected by the temperature of the A/C condenser. They are mounted on the same plane, so the air can't go through one, then the other.

According to the service manual, there are three things that will turn on the fan:

Engine temp above 215F

A/C system on

Transmission overheat condition

And yes, install an aux cooler.
About the A/C condenser/radiator being mounted on the same plain, the outside air, that passes thru the condenser ALSO passes through the radiator into the engine compt.

This is why the fan AUTOMATICALLY comes on when the A/C is turned on--it pulls outside air thru the condenser (cooler) and the radiator!!

Install an aux fan !!

It's made all the difference, to my JK in the Nevada desert and pulling trailer !!

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #23 of 31 Old 08-01-2010, 02:35 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX View Post
Thanx ronjenx, the last sys you mentioned about the engine fan coming on when the auto overheats is like putting an idiot light on a grenade, the tells you of danger "WHEN YOU PULL THE PIN" !!

About the A/C condenser/radiator being mounted on the same plain, the outside air, that passes thru the condenser ALSO passes through the radiator into the engine compt.

This is why the fan AUTOMATICALLY comes on when the A/C is turned on--it pulls outside air thru the condenser (cooler) and the radiator!!

Install an aux fan !!

It's made all the difference, to my JK in the Nevada desert and pulling trailer !!

JIMBO
Yes, but he was implying the heated air from the condenser would add heat to the stock transmission cooler. It can't, because the air doesn't pass through one, then the other. They are on the same plane, the condenser above the transmission cooler.
post #24 of 31 Old 08-01-2010, 02:52 PM
JIMBOX

2018 LJ Wrangler 

Heh Heh, I think we're on the same plane also--

Quote:
Yes, but he was implying the heated air from the condenser would add heat to the stock transmission cooler. It can't, because the air doesn't pass through one, then the other. They are on the same plane, the condenser above the transmission cooler.
Good day

JIMBO

--YA GOTTA HAVE CLASS--
post #25 of 31 Old 08-01-2010, 07:17 PM
vonhef
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Ahhh... you are correct, I was thinking the factory cooler was in the radiator. Nice to know it is part of the condensor unit. Thanks for the explanation!
post #26 of 31 Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 AM
bigdobes
2009 JK Wrangler 

I got a notice in the mail from Jeep a couple of weeks ago for this. When you take it in all they do is raise the temperature limit so the warning doesn't come on as soon.
post #27 of 31 Old 08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdobes View Post
I got a notice in the mail from Jeep a couple of weeks ago for this. When you take it in all they do is raise the temperature limit so the warning doesn't come on as soon.
what notice was that? do you mean one of the recall notices? And who told you that they raised the temp limit?
post #28 of 31 Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdobes View Post
The service dept. told me the recall sets the temp at 275 degrees.
post #29 of 31 Old 08-02-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

I thought that there wasnt a hot warning light at all on the 07s and 08s. Thats what the flash was for, not raising the temp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(2011-2016)
post #30 of 31 Old 08-03-2010, 12:28 AM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I thought that there wasnt a hot warning light at all on the 07s and 08s. Thats what the flash was for, not raising the temp.
As far as I know, you are correct. A warning at 275F would be kind of useless, as the shift schedule begins to depart from normal at 240F, with a second change at 260F.

Raising the warning temp could be part of the flash, I guess.

Tags
automatic transmission , hot oil light , JK Wrangler , oil temp warning , transmission temp warning , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in