High Mileage and engine flush? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
4DrWranglerLvr

High Mileage and engine flush?

Hi - a bit new to the forum, and never posted before. I've been a proud owner of a 4 door Sahara model (3.8L, V6) since I bought it in '08. It's getting up in miles, close to 150k, but been regularly maintained for the most part. My kid recently brought to one of the local quick lube type places to do a quick oil change, and they were suggesting an engine flush (about $70) because of sludge when they did the oil change. Is that something we should have considered? Under what conditions would a flush be appropriate? I've never done one before on any of my cars, but I've also never had a car get up this high in mileage. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 07:30 PM
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Utterly unnecessary. Just change the oil & filter regularly and be sure not to run it low on oil by neglecting to check it. 3.8L engines are known to consume oil, run it down low on oil and you'll have a pile of scrap.

Last edited by SoK66; 10-09-2017 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Typos
post #3 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
4DrWranglerLvr

@SoK66 - thanks. The oil was a little low too, and the Valvoline guy said that was one of the reasons to do it. I tend to agree with you; all my cars have always consumed a little oil, including the Wrangler.

post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2017, 08:09 PM
Mlarv
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DrWranglerLvr View Post
@SoK66 - thanks. The oil was a little low too, and the Valvoline guy said that was one of the reasons to do it. I tend to agree with you; all my cars have always consumed a little oil, including the Wrangler.
If worried flush it yourself. There are several way to do it.

With that said if you useed a quality oil there really should not be any sludge. The new oils and engines along with unleaded gas make for very little to any sludge. I would recommend change your coolent along with diff fluids if not already done

What Would Scooby Do?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2017, 09:41 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Engine flush is a waste of money. Sludge can only build up where oil doesn't flow. Flush will only go where the oil already flows. See the conflict?
If you think you have a buildup - use HD oil and change (oil only) at 2000 miles for three changes (filter on third) and get it cleaner than one 75 dollar flush ever can.

I think here the key word was KID took it to a changer... I would want to SEE that sludge - a thick goo only visible when you pull covers - not just calling black (normal) oil sludge.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-22-2017, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
4DrWranglerLvr

thanks @jwmbishop . and great point on "seeing" it. They said it was sludge, but my son probably never actually saw it.

Tags
engine , flush , oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in