HELP: Installing RECON Smoked Driving Lights - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 07-16-2012, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
GeckoFun
2012 JK Wrangler 

HELP: Installing RECON Smoked Driving Lights

Hi Forum,

I need some help from anyone who has installed the Recon driving lights (the ones that go in the grill, not the fenders). I have them in smoke and have seen reports all over the place on how difficult they are to install and the instructions make no sense. Some state you need to drill, re-wire etc...others say when done correctly you don't. Is there any thread on here that walks through it? Have tried to search the forum but don't see anything.

Anyone who has done this, can you please let me know the steps and what tools are required?

I have no wiring experience and want to know if this is something I should even attempt myself.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-16-2012, 03:42 PM
poleposition
2012 JK Wrangler 

The grill lights are easier than the fender lights. They pop in within seconds. Remove grill, identify the left and right lights. It's literally plug and play. No issues. I cant even imagine what the confusion would possibly be.

2012 Wrangler JKUS - Blk/Blk Factory Katzkin, Dual tops, Hardtop painted, auto trans. Limited slip, Max tow (3.73 gears), 730N, remote start, Auto Air, side airbags, - Mods: Lots
post #3 of 27 Old 07-16-2012, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
GeckoFun
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleposition View Post
The grill lights are easier than the fender lights. They pop in within seconds. Remove grill, identify the left and right lights. It's literally plug and play. No issues. I cant even imagine what the confusion would possibly be.
Thanks, thought there was a reistor that needed to be hard wired to avoid the wrong blinking with the fender lights...but that may be the fedner lights. Should be getting tues/wed - will post pics of the before after

post #4 of 27 Old 07-20-2012, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
GeckoFun
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by poleposition View Post
I just got them today and it has two load resistors that are suggested to solved LED signal problems, these need to be wired to some wire (DIRECTIONS ARE HORRIBLE) and mounted somewhere. I installed the lights without them and they blink fast and say the lights are out. It also makes my TPS tire system say the tires are low, which they aren't. What the hell?!?! This is NOT a plug and play product. I don't want to alter the wiring because I know if anything electrical is needed under warranty Jeep won't honor it if I start messing around with wiring...

What gives? Has anyone else on here installed these lights? Have any directions on how to do so?

I would have just smoked the stock lights, this is way too annoying fo simple LEDs upfront
post #5 of 27 Old 07-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

The load resistors for any LED lights can be wired to either wire but its best to wire them on the ground loop side. Just cut the wire and solder them in, not hard.

08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
post #6 of 27 Old 07-21-2012, 05:05 AM Thread Starter
GeckoFun
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcatracing View Post
The load resistors for any LED lights can be wired to either wire but its best to wire them on the ground loop side. Just cut the wire and solder them in, not hard.
These are the instructions...are the wires labeled on the jeep?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG00149-20120720-1804.jpg  
post #7 of 27 Old 07-21-2012, 03:40 PM
bluerockymtn

interested in how this turns out and your final thoughts on these. been looking at them for a while but given their cost have been contemplating just smoking my factory lenses and adding leds myself
post #8 of 27 Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 PM
alexkemple

2010 JK Wrangler 

you shouldn't have to cut any wires it should have come with 4 blue jumper connectors (called something like that)... the middle wire on the harness is the running light wire, do not connect the resistor to that... connect one end to the other white wire (the outside one) and the other end to the black wire (ground) and you're done... it took me about 5 minutes, although I did put in resistors from radioshack, 6ohm 50watt, because the Recon ones were defective. The harness must attach to the light in a certain direction, because the LEDs are polar... just connect it, turn on the running light switch on the dash, check to see if they're on, if they are then you're golden, if not plug the harness in the opposite direction and it should work, or you could look at the harness and put the black wire end in line with the black wire from the lights.

PM me if you need any help

Alex
post #9 of 27 Old 07-22-2012, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
GeckoFun
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the direction, but my electrical skills fail even when you say "connect"...don't even know how to do that.

I decided to not go this route because I'm leasing the vehicle and don't want to have to "un-do" this later on. I actually went for the Nite Shade and blacked out the plastic light cover and it came out great, even more black then the Recons.

That said, does anyone want to buy the Recons off of me? They are $120 new. I will sell them for $80. They are brand new in working order with resistors and blue connectors, everything you need to install them, I just wasn't brave enough! Let me know before I return them to the seller on Amazon. I ended up Nite Shading my LED tail lights and brake lights as well so everything has essentially a blacked out look during the day
post #10 of 27 Old 07-22-2012, 02:29 PM
alexkemple

2010 JK Wrangler 

Connect means put one wire into the channel in the blue thing, then slide one end of the resistor into the other channel in the same blue thing, then push down the little metal tab. Taking them off would take maybe 5 mins
post #11 of 27 Old 07-22-2012, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
GeckoFun
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkemple View Post
Connect means put one wire into the channel in the blue thing, then slide one end of the resistor into the other channel in the same blue thing, then push down the little metal tab. Taking them off would take maybe 5 mins
Don't I have to disconnect the wire up pull it out of the where it's connected now. I understand how the resistor wire is able to go in, but not the wire from the jeep if I don't cut it or strip it....any photos to explain? I would still have to mount (and therefore drill) the resistors wouldn't i?

Anyway, here is what the car looks like all blacked out with Nite Shade. All LEDs in the back.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3547.jpg   IMG_3549.jpg   IMG_3550.jpg   IMG_3551.jpg  
post #12 of 27 Old 07-22-2012, 05:48 PM
alexkemple

2010 JK Wrangler 

post #13 of 27 Old 07-22-2012, 05:50 PM
alexkemple

2010 JK Wrangler 

I just used double sided tape to attach the resistor to the body. They don't get very hot as long as you don't leave your turn signal on for hours at a time. I'll post pictures on how to install when I'm done with dinner
post #14 of 27 Old 07-22-2012, 06:04 PM
alexkemple

2010 JK Wrangler 

I just did a quick video to explain, I'm posting it on YouTube and should have the link in a few...

If you wanted to remove them you would just do the video in reverse and they would come off easy.

I've never gotten any rapid flash or light error lights... And every single light on my exterior is LED. I went crazy a few months ago and made it my goal to replace every bulb with LEDs

In the state of Texas, at least, it is illegal to use NightShades. Each light has to be visible from a certain distance, so if you want to black things out then you have to give them better lights
Attached Thumbnails
image-889968754.jpg   image-536862255.jpg   image-4169064612.jpg  
post #15 of 27 Old 07-22-2012, 06:29 PM
alexkemple

2010 JK Wrangler 

This should help. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in