Headlight Issue - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ravenworks

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 09-06-2020, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
SolarFantom

Headlight Issue

Alright guys, i’m coming here in desperate need of some help. So i have a 2010 Jeep wrangler sport. it has after market LED headlights, when you turn the headlights on they flicker and shut off. We thought it was the headlights, so we ordered factory replacement halogen headlights and they did the exact same thing, they ducker on and shut off. all the auxiliary lighting is working fine, blinkers, running lights, tail lights.
we bought a brand new TIPM, installed it, worked fine for 2 days, then they stopped working again. computer diagnosis says ground issue, my brother is a Level III dodge tech and he completely rewired the entire headlight wiring with all brand new wiring. worked for 1 day. now they aren’t working again. i have no idea what else to do, has anyone had this issue and can help me out? we order a new headlight control switch also. installing that once it comes in, but i have no idea what else to do. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-06-2020, 11:41 PM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

You need the anti flicker module
Search that
wilgeno likes this.

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #3 of 9 Old 09-07-2020, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
SolarFantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenworks View Post
You need the anti flicker module
Search that
It has the anti flicker installed.

post #4 of 9 Old 09-08-2020, 11:47 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well, There are Anti flicker harnesses and then there are Anti Flicker harnesses.

However, if you actually went back to stock headlights and still had the issue, then who knows what the issue is.

If the grounds are good, then the PCM might be suspect. The headlights are Pulse Width Modulated voltage, which is why many aftermarket LED's flicker. The halogens actually flicker too but because of the lengthy decay a halogen bulb has, you never see it.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #5 of 9 Old 09-08-2020, 04:14 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The headlights get pure dc when the ignition is off. If your headlights behave the same with the ignition on and off, it's not a pwm issue.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #6 of 9 Old 09-13-2020, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
SolarFantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Well, There are Anti flicker harnesses and then there are Anti Flicker harnesses.

However, if you actually went back to stock headlights and still had the issue, then who knows what the issue is.

If the grounds are good, then the PCM might be suspect. The headlights are Pulse Width Modulated voltage, which is why many aftermarket LED's flicker. The halogens actually flicker too but because of the lengthy decay a halogen bulb has, you never see it.
we’ve replaced everything except the PCM but the issue is, according to the diagnosis, it shows the PCM is functioning as it should, it’s getting the info it needs to turn them on. so it has to be a wiring issue somewhere, i just don’t have $2,000 to buy a whole new wiring harness just for it to not be the issue. we replaced all the wiring that goes to the lights themselves but that hasn’t fixed it. really don’t know what else to do. it sucks having a vehicle that you can’t drive at night and not being able to fix it because nobody knows what the issue is. we’ve had people look at it and not a single one can fix the problem. it can be fixed, just needs the right person that knows what to do.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-13-2020, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
SolarFantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The headlights get pure dc when the ignition is off. If your headlights behave the same with the ignition on and off, it's not a pwm issue.
it does the same. sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t. it’ll work for a week straight then the next week they won’t, so i have no clue what else to do 😞 it’s a sentimental jeep so selling it is not an option
post #8 of 9 Old 09-14-2020, 06:37 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Have you gone thru and made sure ALL the grounds are good?

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #9 of 9 Old 09-18-2020, 11:41 AM
Dale M.
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When they quit working did you check for voltage on the lighting leads on back of headlight... If not there trace back to any relays or switches or fuses or to output of PCM till you find it!

On my 2002 TJ the headlights are grounded to radiator core support, did you clean and tighten ground connections, does your core support have good ground connection to fenders and frame?

Wife was having a problem with one headlight on her HONDA... Turns out it was bad socket on real of headlight lamp... IT could be anything...

Probably biggest problem may be how you are trouble shooting it....

If you can get wiring diagrams for you year model it helps....

Dale

“Fear The Government That Wants To Take Your Guns" - Thomas Jefferson.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in