Have you hit your exaust loop? - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: Have you hit your loop?
yes 1 7.69%
no 12 92.31%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
xamdarb
2015 JK Wrangler 

Have you hit your exaust loop?

I have been in the market for some skid plates in front of the cross member and have been running into a dilemma.

I really like the rock hard oil pan/transmission skid plate for being flat and continuous making it easier to slide over rocks. They do not offer full protection of the loop though, it looks like a bit but not 100%. Anyone have this plate willing to share their opinion on how much it protects the loop?

The evo skid plate system consist of 3 plates, not at all joined together and in my opinion not the best design for integrating them together. I also do not like how the oil pan skid connects to the oil pan. They do however offer complete protection for the loop.

So long story short, how many of you have actually hit the loop? Any other options out there? I will not remove the loop so keep that in mind.

Thanks,
Xam

Current 2015 JK
Previous 97 TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 10:06 PM
rich6700

I run the rock hard plate, I've never had an issue with the exhaust loop. There is a small plate that is used a a support for the rock hard plate that sits next to the loop. I've thought about modifying it to cover the loop.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 10:43 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Once. Really really bad.

Couldn't walk for an hour.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old 06-03-2015, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
xamdarb
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
I run the rock hard plate, I've never had an issue with the exhaust loop. There is a small plate that is used a a support for the rock hard plate that sits next to the loop. I've thought about modifying it to cover the loop.
I have only seen pictures but does the rock hard plate offer any type of protection directly or indirectly?

Current 2015 JK
Previous 97 TJ
post #5 of 12 Old 06-05-2015, 12:07 AM
rich6700

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamdarb
I have only seen pictures but does the rock hard plate offer any type of protection directly or indirectly?
No protection to the loop at all. The plates sits just to the rear of the loop. I really wouldn't worry to much about it, the oil and trans pans are your main concerns.
post #6 of 12 Old 06-05-2015, 07:46 AM Thread Starter
xamdarb
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich6700 View Post
No protection to the loop at all. The plates sits just to the rear of the loop. I really wouldn't worry to much about it, the oil and trans pans are your main concerns.
Thanks, I have a manual so no concern on the trans pan.
looks like I will be going with the rock hard plate after all. I'm suprise that not one person has hit the loop!

Current 2015 JK
Previous 97 TJ
post #7 of 12 Old 06-05-2015, 09:19 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2020 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamdarb View Post
Thanks, I have a manual so no concern on the trans pan.
looks like I will be going with the rock hard plate after all. I'm suprise that not one person has hit the loop!
A cracked case is just as problematic as a crushed pan...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 Old 06-05-2015, 09:39 AM
Hudson3
2013 JK Wrangler 

^^agree.
I went with the Synergy HD skid setup before ever wheeling.
I've hit just about everything under the rig (including all the pretty Synergy plates) but for the exhaust loop... and vacuum canister, but apparently vacuum canister is less likely to be impacted on the 2drs, which is what I have.

Since typically you run your wheels up over the high sports on the trail, and the front tire is so close the the loop... combine that with my trans and engine skid hanging lower than the loop, and control arm bracket hanging lower than the loop... makes sense that it's not been hit... yet...

2013 JKR 6spd 3.5" MCGCARB 35"KM2s 5.13's 1310DLs armored PSC hydro Zeon8k.
post #9 of 12 Old 06-05-2015, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
xamdarb
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson3 View Post
^^agree.
I went with the Synergy HD skid setup before ever wheeling.
I've hit just about everything under the rig (including all the pretty Synergy plates) but for the exhaust loop... and vacuum canister, but apparently vacuum canister is less likely to be impacted on the 2drs, which is what I have.

Since typically you run your wheels up over the high sports on the trail, and the front tire is so close the the loop... combine that with my trans and engine skid hanging lower than the loop, and control arm bracket hanging lower than the loop... makes sense that it's not been hit... yet...
Thanks for the info. I have not looked under an auto but I assume the trans pan sits lower than the casing in the manuals, that's what I was getting at. I don't know if they changed anything in the 2015 but my loop is just as low as my control arm bracket. Good to hear from everyone's experiences though!

Thanks guys!

Current 2015 JK
Previous 97 TJ
post #10 of 12 Old 06-05-2015, 07:29 PM
TheBoss

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xamdarb View Post
I have been in the market for some skid plates in front of the cross member and have been running into a dilemma.

I really like the rock hard oil pan/transmission skid plate for being flat and continuous making it easier to slide over rocks. They do not offer full protection of the loop though, it looks like a bit but not 100%. Anyone have this plate willing to share their opinion on how much it protects the loop?

The evo skid plate system consist of 3 plates, not at all joined together and in my opinion not the best design for integrating them together. I also do not like how the oil pan skid connects to the oil pan. They do however offer complete protection for the loop.

So long story short, how many of you have actually hit the loop? Any other options out there? I will not remove the loop so keep that in mind.

Thanks,
Xam
Look into the JCR trans and exhaust loop skid.
post #11 of 12 Old 06-05-2015, 10:00 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
everything but, though looking closer seems it has a little rash. best would be to put in a straight down pipe and dump the trumpet. on my list but the way i do things it will be when the Trumpet is playing in B flat.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #12 of 12 Old 06-08-2015, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
xamdarb
2015 JK Wrangler 

Other than the one case were I heard of them hitting their loop and causing the manifold to break, I don't think I'm as nervous about the exaust loop as previous. This thread confirms that I should be focusing elsewhere on armor.
Besides, I just wrecked my stock front bumper on the trail this weekend!

Current 2015 JK
Previous 97 TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in