1Likes
  • 1 Post By pismo61

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-13-2020, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Abail400

Garage
Hardtop wiring for defrost and wiper

Hello everyone.

I have searched for the answer to this but have yet to find a possible answer.

I just recently bought a hardtop for my 2012 JKU to replace my original factory soft top for the winter months. My JKU didn't come with a hardtop and therefor the rear wiper and defrost have no switches for them. There is a washer hose and plug tucked unto the plastic molding on the rear driver seatbelt but I haven't tried to see if it will reach the connection on the top yet. I have seen the harnesses that include the new controls for wiper and defroster and I'm sure I could do it myself but I read that the ECM will have to be reflashed or else they won't work anyway.

2 questions. If I installed the new harness and controls can I flash this myself with a programmer such as Flashcal? OR has someone figured out a way to "redneck engineer" a discrete looking way to make this work?

Thanks in advance for the help and if I have overlooked this somewhere please point me in the general direction.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-13-2020, 08:42 AM
MacK

2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abail400 View Post
Hello everyone.

I have searched for the answer to this but have yet to find a possible answer.

I just recently bought a hardtop for my 2012 JKU to replace my original factory soft top for the winter months. My JKU didn't come with a hardtop and therefor the rear wiper and defrost have no switches for them. There is a washer hose and plug tucked unto the plastic molding on the rear driver seatbelt but I haven't tried to see if it will reach the connection on the top yet. I have seen the harnesses that include the new controls for wiper and defroster and I'm sure I could do it myself but I read that the ECM will have to be reflashed or else they won't work anyway.

2 questions. If I installed the new harness and controls can I flash this myself with a programmer such as Flashcal? OR has someone figured out a way to "redneck engineer" a discrete looking way to make this work?

Thanks in advance for the help and if I have overlooked this somewhere please point me in the general direction.
I don't think you can flash it yourself. HOWEVER, there is an Android/iOS app called JScan (http://jscan.net) that may let you enable it. My swaybar died and I had a blinking light and I was able to disable the sway bar completely with the app. It's a good purchase either way, well made app that works.

Worst case is you take it to the dealer and have them do it. It shouldn't be over $200.

Edit: you can download the demo app and go through all the changeable settings.

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-13-2020, 08:53 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

A Flashcal won't reprogram the TIPM for the rear wiper/washer. You will need the JScan which is cheaper than a Flashcal and more powerful. The JScan and a BT OBD dongle should run you around $50.

I think, but I'm not 100% sure that you may need a new stalk for the rear washer/wiper. So the harness and new wiper stalk and a JScan should hook you up.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 9 Old 10-13-2020, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Abail400

Garage
The Mopar kit comes with a new stalk and a replacement module for the heat/AC that has the rear defrost on it.

Itís the Mopar hardtop wiring conversion kit on the quadratec website. I canít post the link.

Someone gave it a review that it was an additional $380 to have the dealer do the install and flash. I just canít see buying the kit if it wonít work without having the flash done.

Also Iím not fond of dealerships. The 2 times itís been to 2 different dealers (we had relocated) they wanted to keep it overnight even though I had set up an appointment for first thing in the morning.

But, I digress. I was hoping someone had figured out a way to discreetly add a switch with a built in timer for the defrost that I could just add with a relay and then another dedicated switch for the wiper on delay for another switch. My JKU is just a sport so I have a few blanks available in front of the gear shift where factory accessories go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 Old 10-13-2020, 10:08 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abail400 View Post
The Mopar kit comes with a new stalk and a replacement module for the heat/AC that has the rear defrost on it.

Itís the Mopar hardtop wiring conversion kit on the quadratec website. I canít post the link.

Someone gave it a review that it was an additional $380 to have the dealer do the install and flash. I just canít see buying the kit if it wonít work without having the flash done.

Also Iím not fond of dealerships. The 2 times itís been to 2 different dealers (we had relocated) they wanted to keep it overnight even though I had set up an appointment for first thing in the morning.

But, I digress. I was hoping someone had figured out a way to discreetly add a switch with a built in timer for the defrost that I could just add with a relay and then another dedicated switch for the wiper on delay for another switch. My JKU is just a sport so I have a few blanks available in front of the gear shift where factory accessories go.

Contact JScan to make sure they support the TIPM flash for the wipers. If they don't AlfaOBD does but it's a few more dollars. No need to have the dealer flash it other than to have the sales code added to your VIN so that a stupid tech doesn't reset your options (which you would then have to reprogram).

If you really want to, you can certainly add a manual switch to activate the wipers, washer and defroster. You can add small switches to the panel but it's not for the faint of heart. I have done it using micro off on switches completely independent of the CANBUS and a relay box. The blank covers can be made to work with some careful trimming. The timer for the defroster might be a bit harder but a circuit with a 555 timer IC controlling a relay could be built.
Attached Thumbnails
Factory switch mod.jpg   dash switch panel.jpg   Relay box.jpg  

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #6 of 9 Old 10-13-2020, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Abail400

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Contact JScan to make sure they support the TIPM flash for the wipers. If they don't AlfaOBD does but it's a few more dollars. No need to have the dealer flash it other than to have the sales code added to your VIN so that a stupid tech doesn't reset your options (which you would then have to reprogram).

If you really want to, you can certainly add a manual switch to activate the wipers, washer and defroster. You can add small switches to the panel but it's not for the faint of heart. I have done it using micro off on switches completely independent of the CANBUS and a relay box. The blank covers can be made to work with some careful trimming. The timer for the defroster might be a bit harder but a circuit with a 555 timer IC controlling a relay could be built.

Thanks for the help. I think the micro switches may be slightly out of my comfort range but I did find a defrost timer made for plow trucks. One of the modules they sell is for a window replaced with defrost window that has no controller built in for it.

Iím gonna do a little more research on getting it flashed from the info you gave me. If I can make that work with the Mopar conversion I would much rather do that and have stock controls.

Thanks again.

post #7 of 9 Old 10-14-2020, 07:36 AM
pismo61

2013 JK Wrangler 

The mopar kit is not available till 10/15 or 12/4.Ive been waiting.The one for my 2013 is is 12/4.I have the non heated mirror version.Do you have one yet?

2013 Red 2 Door Auto.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-14-2020, 07:52 AM Thread Starter
Abail400

Garage
I have not ordered it yet. I need the same one without heated mirrors.

I did get a message back from JScan and they said the ECM does not have to be flashed to add the rear wiper and that it can be added with their equipment.

Iím not in a gigantic hurry to add the rear wiper and defrost since I just dropped $1000+ on the top itself but Iím sure Iíll wish I had it once the snow starts to accumulate on that back window going down the road.

post #9 of 9 Old 10-14-2020, 03:10 PM
pismo61

2013 JK Wrangler 

Not in a hurry here either.I live in SoCal.When the kit is available Ill get it and suffer through the install.Unplugging plugs with lots of wires,removing and replacing,soldering with new ones dosent sound fun.
Abail400 likes this.

2013 Red 2 Door Auto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in