gurgling/scratching in transmission - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-15-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
YourAlterEgo
2009 JK Wrangler 

gurgling/scratching in transmission

My transmission seems to be making an odd noise, it only occurs in 4th and 6th gear when applying the gas. there is no sound in neutral, or any other gear, but with as the engine revs up, the sounds becomes more apparent. if my foot is off the gas and coasting it sounds like normal. The noise is hard to explain, it sounds almost like a gurgling/scratching sort of sound, almost as if its bogging down. there does not seem to be any negative effect on acceleration or anything else, its just making a noise.

I don't want something small to turn into a couple thousand in repairs. Any ideas anyone?

I have a 2009 JK X, with a 6 speed manual transmission, 87K miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-16-2015, 12:43 PM
duneslider

2007 JK Wrangler 

Have you changed the oil in the transmission recently? I would think starting there would make sense. Drain the oil and see what it says. If all is good, refill with fresh lube and see if the noise is still there.
post #3 of 4 Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 PM
goodwrenchdave
2008 JK Wrangler 

dropping the oil never hurts and you can get a good idea of wear or even damage by how much "beard" or "fragments (hopefully none)" the magnetic plug grows

have you tried:
if you slightly push on the shifter to the right, up down while accelerating- does the noise go away? if it does- Make sure the shifter boot (lower) isn't causing too much tension (sometimes the trans mounts loosen/rip from wear and the movement causes the boot to overstretch)- most boot problems cause popping out of gear.....but ya never know. something to look at

post #4 of 4 Old 09-18-2015, 11:23 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourAlterEgo View Post
My transmission seems to be making an odd noise, it only occurs in 4th and 6th gear when applying the gas. there is no sound in neutral, or any other gear, but with as the engine revs up, the sounds becomes more apparent. if my foot is off the gas and coasting it sounds like normal. The noise is hard to explain, it sounds almost like a gurgling/scratching sort of sound, almost as if its bogging down. there does not seem to be any negative effect on acceleration or anything else, its just making a noise.

I don't want something small to turn into a couple thousand in repairs. Any ideas anyone?

I have a 2009 JK X, with a 6 speed manual transmission, 87K miles.

Hey YourAlterEgo,

Unfortunately, I could not locate any TSBs that relate to your vehicle. Does this noise happen every time you accelerate or does it only happen intermittently? I would advise you to have your vehicle formally diagnosed at an FCA certified dealership. Private message me if you have any further questions.

Tags
noise , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in