JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Footwell glow lights . (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/footwell-glow-lights-1081030/)

fernjack 08-01-2010 09:02 PM

Footwell glow lights .

5 Attachment(s)
I thought I would do that LED footwell glow light deal . I went with blue , I find it easier on my eyes at night . The ones I used I picked up at Walmart for $14.99 a set . I used a slightly undersized drill bit and friction fit the LED lights into the holes . I soldered and heatshrunk everything , grounds got dielectric grease . I was going to wire a trigger to the driving lights ........ then to the ignition..... I decided to just use a switch so I could use them whenever I want . They draw 0.04amp/light so even if I left them on it wouldn't matter . I only installed 4 ( one set ) and may put some near the centre arm pad ....... not sure yet if I even like them ...... time will tell . So here it goes .........

In three parts .... for the pics ...:cheers::wave:

fernjack 08-01-2010 09:17 PM

Footwell glow lights P-2 .

5 Attachment(s)
I put the lights in the pull off panels at the bottom of both sides of the dash ....

fernjack 08-01-2010 09:22 PM

Footwell glow lights P-3

3 Attachment(s)
The lights point straight down ........

I also got rid out the insulation from under my hood ....... hated that stuff !!
:cheers::wave:

TheShift 08-01-2010 09:23 PM

Awesome... i got red led's in the foot wells.. it looks badazz with the doors off...

i actually have not 'completely' wired them in with a switch yet...kinda rigged it up until i have time to do it right.. what i am really wanting to is replace the factory power supply on the dash unit...so i am waiting to hard wire it completely ...with a set of Hella lights :shhh:

:highfive: heres to you and your baby blues

lol

MacK 08-01-2010 09:24 PM

Looks good, I actually did the same thing.

Could I snatch power from the outlet that's switched? Would it mess up anything?

fernjack 08-01-2010 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShift (Post 9889012)
Awesome... i got red led's in the foot wells.. it looks badazz with the doors off...

i actually have not 'completely' wired them in with a switch yet...kinda rigged it up until i have time to do it right.. what i am really wanting to is replace the factory power supply on the dash unit...so i am waiting to hard wire it completely ...with a set of Hella lights :shhh:

:highfive: heres to you and your baby blues

lol

Thanks Dude ! :cheers:

fernjack 08-01-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasMack (Post 9889018)
Looks good, I actually did the same thing.

Could I snatch power from the outlet that's switched? Would it mess up anything?

I don't honestly know , but you sure could use a switched source to trigger a relay . It would be just about bulletproof then , take power from your battery for the relay and use the switched source to tell it to come on ...... no worries ....... and Thanks ! :cheers::wave:

ls6tt 08-01-2010 09:44 PM

awesome, can you snap some pictures of them at night? id like to see how well they light up the floor board.

fernjack 08-01-2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ls6tt (Post 9889136)
awesome, can you snap some pictures of them at night? id like to see how well they light up the floor board.

The last couple of pics where at night ..... I'll try again tommorrow with a different setting and see how they come out . I think they are a bit bright ...... only time will tell .
Thanks Dude ! ...... :cheers:

MacK 08-01-2010 10:00 PM

I have the same brand and they light up my floor well pretty neat. I'm going to install them in my glove b ox and center console soon, and the rear foot well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernjack (Post 9889075)
I don't honestly know , but you sure could use a switched source to trigger a relay . It would be just about bulletproof then , take power from your battery for the relay and use the switched source to tell it to come on ...... no worries ....... and Thanks ! :cheers::wave:

I was thinking it would just be like a load being put onto the outlet right? I already have a secondary outlet tied into my always-on plug. I'm going to redo my whole setup soon, I don't like the way I wired part of it.

They are so light in the power they use, I doubt they can cause harm.

fernjack 08-01-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasMack (Post 9889222)
I have the same brand and they light up my floor well pretty neat. I'm going to install them in my glove b ox and center console soon, and the rear foot well.

I was thinking it would just be like a load being put onto the outlet right? I already have a secondary outlet tied into my always-on plug. I'm going to redo my whole setup soon, I don't like the way I wired part of it.

They are so light in the power they use, I doubt they can cause harm.

I like that glove box and console idea ....
Although they only draw 0.004amp/light I don't know how fussy that canbus deal is . My way of thinking is I just avoid it altogether ..... stand alone electrics can only have certain problems . I couldn't even guess what a small current draw noticed by the computer would do .
Hey the rear footwell ... another good spot !
Take pics and share ....... Thanks ThomasMack ....... :cheers:

ls6tt 08-01-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fernjack (Post 9889206)
The last couple of pics where at night ..... I'll try again tommorrow with a different setting and see how they come out . I think they are a bit bright ...... only time will tell .
Thanks Dude ! ...... :cheers:

leave the door open and take a shot standing back away from the jeep :cheers:

doliss 08-02-2010 08:28 AM

I saw some mopar lighting set for the interior before, but I can't find it now on their website. Anyone know the part number for it?

jeepcache 08-02-2010 09:58 AM

you know that insulation on your hood is actually a fire retardant blanket designed to drop on the ehgine in case of a fire right?

Scooter_Trash 08-02-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepcache (Post 9890675)
you know that insulation on your hood is actually a fire retardant blanket designed to drop on the ehgine in case of a fire right?

Maybe he relocated it above the transmission.

The time now is 10:41 PM.