Finally looking to lift and put new wheels/tires advice needed - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-14-2021, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
GEC5741

Finally looking to lift and put new wheels/tires advice needed

So I'm finally looking to pull the trigger on a 2.5 or 3" lift and 35in tires. Looking for a good tire that is tuff looking and aggressive looking and not "to" loud. I can handle some noice and would rather it look good and have some hum when I drive but I obviously don't want to it to be so loud I can hear myself think. Anyone with some advice on a really good looking tire that would be like that or is it just the case of aggressive tire = noise?

Also I wanted 17x9 inch rims but I'd have to wait 6-8 months for them. I can go 18inch but I prefer the look of more sidewall over the larger wheel. At 35" tires would I really notice that big of a difference in the 17 to an 18? Also the price is a few hundred less for the 17's so maybe the wait would be worth it.

Anyway just looking for some advice. I've had my Black 2017 Jeep Wrangler 4 door sport for a bout 4 years now and would like to get this done this summer. I plan to get a heavier tire carrier to support the 35" spare and also get a superchip to reprogram for the larger tire size. then eventually upgrade the bumpers and fenders etc.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Shoot I now see that there is a tire/wheel board also. I'll put this out there as well!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-18-2021, 09:40 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
if you have 3.21 gears 35s will be an anchor. even 3.73 if it has Max tow is still not enough. 4 door you will need at least 4.56 gears. Those will cost more then most people spend on a lift(China cheep).

gears are for street so dont be mislead in thinking its only need for off road. You have a low range that will do most the work off road, just wont have a good CR.

Multi posting tends to be frowned on.

17s over 18s all day. say 17x9 at 4.5 BS for 35s.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-18-2021, 10:01 AM
MCMike37
Random Guy

2012 JK Wrangler 

So I recently pulled the trigger on the same upgrade for my 2012. Wanted a 2-ish inch lift, 35's with new wheels and have the stock 4.10 gears. With the help of Kolak here on the forums I settled on the following...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMike37 View Post
Well, nothing technically done to it today, but did just put in an order for...
  • BFG T/A KO2 in 315/70R17
  • 17 inch Mammoth Moab Black Wheel
  • Rubicon Express Geometry
  • IRO Trackbar
  • Rancho RS9000
  • OME Springs

And picked up a new Rough Country steering stabilizer for cheap here in town to add on as well. And as a bonus it was all with the wife's blessing as she really wanted the Jeep to be lifted and didn't balk when I told her how much everything would be
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMike37 View Post
Everything installed and have finally joined the big boy Jeep club after 8 years of ownership. Just need to put the steering stabilizer on it since I forgot to give that to them yesterday. Still need to have them trim the pinch seem and rail, but not doing any crazy off-roading until then.

Now I need a new front bumper since these tires rub a little on the still stock front end....
Ended up being closer to 3 inches in the end but haven't pulled the trigger on a winch which should bring down the front a little more. Big things for me was a tire that was going to be good offroad but behaves on road as well. Don't plan to do extreme rock crawling but still wanted an "aggressive" tire when I need it. The BFGs are significantly quieter than the Duratracs that I ran for a number of years which I liked as well. Really like the Rancho's adjustability as well and it rides just as comparable to stock with them I think on 2 or 3 all the way around.

The wheels where a huge part for me as well as I wanted something with the proper backspacing (Was running a 1.5" spacer with stock wheels prior) and still have a very easy design to clean.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-19-2021, 10:13 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Rubicons stock autos after 2012 are all 3.73. Unless it had the option of 4.1. back in 12 when i bought mine there were no 4.1s so i had to CPO it.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #5 of 6 Old 06-19-2021, 03:18 PM
MCMike37
Random Guy

2012 JK Wrangler 

Autos did have an option to get the 4.10s, but mine is a stick which came with them.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-22-2021, 06:52 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Tire choice will largely depend on your usage. That being said, I love my Cooper Discoverer STX MAXX. I have 315/70-17 tires on 17X9 wheels with 4.5” of backspacing.

Your lift will also be partially influenced by your usage. For what I do, the 3” BDS suspension lift with the matching Fox shocks and Fox ATS stabilizer works well. What is good about this kit is they sell matching components to upgrade it if the need arises.

You will want to regear. The norm for second generation automatic JK’s and 35’s is 4.56, but up or down one size is fine as well.

4LO.com has some calculators that help you make a good choice with gearing. It also has some metric to standard tire conversion calculators and other things.

The time to install lockers is during regearing to avoid paying labor twice.

I have Yukon 4.88 gears and Yukon Zip lockers in both axles. The Yukon Zip lockers are powered by an ARB compressor and operate very similar to ARB lockers.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in