Essential accessories for a new owner - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
jeffself

2010 JK Wrangler 

Essential accessories for a new owner

Since I already have an urge to buy stuff for my new Rubicon, I want to spend on the essentials now and save the big stuff for later. So what IS essential?

What are the things that should be in my Rubicon?

Here are some things I'm thinking of now:

1. Hitch mounted rack carrier
2. Tools (Just bought the #40 torx driver last nite, what else?)
3. Tire guage

What am I leaving out?

2010 4dr Rubicon. Temporarily stock.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Vin

2012 JK Wrangler 

Recovery straps and an air compressor.
post #3 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 AM
BornInTX
2009 JK Wrangler 

^^ This. Add an extra strap and some shackles. I like overkill on recovery gear.

post #4 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Ravik

2010 JK Wrangler 

What do you plan to do with the Jeep? Different driving environments need different essentials... Beaches are different from dirt roads, which are different from mountain passes.

Tools are always a safe bet, recovery tools as mentioned, and duct tape - never forget the duct tape.

In my Jeep, an 'essential' is my sat-phone as I'm routinely in places where the only communications alternative is smoke signals... While I leave my itinerary with friends, including where I plan to be and when I plan to be back, I'd rather not have to wait out the timer before folks start looking for me.

Another example would be that for half the year my Jeep has winter survival gear in it (mylar blanket, old military wool blanket, spare coat / gloves / hat / shirt / pants, spare boots, folding shovel, tarp, tape, 4 MREs, flares, etc.). But this is because I've been stuck out on the road in winter, and being prepared is a real life saver.

2010 2dr Rubicon
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
post #5 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 AM
McKBrew

JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInTX View Post
^^ This. Add an extra strap and some shackles. I like overkill on recovery gear.
Funny story this last weekend regarding recovery. My wife got the minivan stuck in soft sand on the beach. My recovery gear is typically in a rubbermaid tote which I took out and left in the cabin (Fortunately only 1/2 mile up the road). Still a good lesson to make sure your recovery gear is stored somewhere that it will not be moved.

I would recommend having a full set of metric sockets and wrenches from at least 10-21mm. That will handle most of the nuts and bolts on the JK. Also a large set of channel locks and vice grips and an assortment of TORX bits. A cheap 3/8" drive set can be picked up at Sears (Craftsman Evolv line). Also a BFH (Big Fing Hammer). While not 100% necessary to carry on the road/trail, my torque wrench is also in the JK.

A Hi Lift Jack (Which I haven't purchased yet) is a good investment.

Flashlight, First Aid Kit, Warm Blankets or Space Blankets, Fire starters, Rain Ponchos and some survival food are also part of my load out.
post #6 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 10:10 AM
McKBrew

JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Ravik;9831087]What do you plan to do with the Jeep? Different driving environments need different essentials... Beaches are different from dirt roads, which are different from mountain passes.

QUOTE]

True. I have a four door, so I have the advantage of being able to carry a lot more items. Even so, I haven't checked things lately, and I know I am seriously lacking for winter and even an extended issue in the summer.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

where the hell do you guys put all this stuff?
post #8 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
DeepSky

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Still a good lesson to make sure your recovery gear is stored somewhere that it will not be moved.
I'm definitely a believer in this. I keep my strap, shackles, and winch remote in the Jeep at all times even thought there's a chance they could get stolen.

For a brand new Jeep I would recommend getting a nice set of floor & cargo liners; Huskey and Rugged Ridge make nice sets. Also you can do some other cheap (but important "mods") like mounting a fire extinguisher or two to the seats.

2003 Patriot Blue Wrangler SE - RCX 2.5" Kit on 31x10.5 Firestone M/Ts and stock the rest of the way.
2007 Flame Red Wrangler Unlimited X - Skyjacker 4" Kit on 35x12.5 Cooper Discovery STT(
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
post #9 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Jeepin_Dad
I Like TATAs

2007 JK Wrangler 

Fire extinguisher, rachet straps, zipties

8th Annual Topless For TATAs
August 12, 13 & 14, 2016 at Rausch Creek Off-Road Park
post #10 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 AM
McKBrew

JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi View Post
where the hell do you guys put all this stuff?
I have a four door. Plenty of space. A two door will work too, as long as you don't carry any extra passengers.

Honestly though, a basic tool kit and survival kit doesn't take up that much space and the other items can be strapped on the rollbars.

I also forgot to put a full size shovel on the list. I ended up having to change storage locations when I put on the soft top, so I sawed the handle down but definitely have a shovel. It's actually a requirement in some of the national forests.
post #11 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 10:41 AM
little_Jeep

1998 TJ Wrangler 

You are in my area of the World.... so I suspect that the terrian we have is about the same.

Tow strap with LOOPS no metal hooks. 2" X 20' from Wally World works. Bigger straps are not bad, but they are harder to deal with, harder to store, and don't fit into a standard 2" hitch receiver, etc..

CB radio (don't waste your time with a handheld) there are some real nice mini CB that work great for about $50.00 (Cobra M19 at Wally World, but there are others to choose from).

CB antenna, Firestic II, or Wilson (Pilot Truck Stops have a great selection of these antenna). For wheel-n, you want antenna to stick above the roof line only a couple inches, any taller and you will just knock it off in brush. Usually a 3 foot fiberglass antenna works perfect if mounted about tail light high. If you want to use CB for highway use, purchase a second taller antenna.

Heavy Work gloves

My trail tools are typically from Harbor Freight... good tools, that are cheap, so if I lose one, or they get stolen, I don't lose much $$. A 13MM, 12 point, 3/8 drive socket should be in your tool bad. Must be 12 point. If you or someone on the trail with you, ever needs to replace an axle shaft, you will be glad you have this socket.

Zip ties of every size you can find. Small spool of Bailing (utility) wire, duct tape, a couple small ratchet straps.

I have little black tool bags that I keep my tools, recovery gear in..... this way when I'm ready to go wheel-n, I just pop the bags in the Jeep and strap them in place (everything inside your Jeep should be strapped in place).

Once you get into wheel-n, you will add gear to the above list and modify how you do things as your knowledge grows and you become more experienced with items that you will really need/use on the trail versus carring a lot of crap that will never be used.

Never, Never, wheel where you do not personally have permission to be. Hunt up a local 4x4 Club in your area and learn to wheel safely. If you want your wife/GF to be involved, look for a Club that is Family friendly and that has a fair number of women on the trails. Your Wife/GF is NOT going to want to hang out in a "Boys Club".
post #12 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 10:55 AM
BenderX
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I also forgot to put a full size shovel on the list. I ended up having to change storage locations when I put on the soft top, so I sawed the handle down but definitely have a shovel.
I'll second that motion. Even if you go with a smaller camp shovel, it's way better than nothing.

After just one time of trying to dig out snow or dirt with your hands or random branches, it becomes obvious what a great invention the shovel is.
post #13 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Tireguy
2009 JK Wrangler 

Owning a new vehicle, major mechanical failures won't be the most pressing issue. Its the stupid little things that make 'essentials' more practical. Flat/damaged tires, getting stuck, and (lack of) communication can be more vital.
A Tool kit, first-aid kit, CB radio/cell phone, duct tape (mentioned quite a bit here), tow strap/recovery gear, some sort of air source (CO2 tank or mini compressor), flashlight(s), and maybe a HI-Lift jack will always come in handy. Don't forget about personables either- water, something to munch on, and extra britches/jacket. Muddy, wet, and hungry aren't fun all the time.
Granted, you won't need to carry all this if your Jeep is your DD, but when its time to hit the trail, well, you know what to do.

You will always forget/need something and not have it. Being a Jeeper, you'll be among those who might have what you need on the trail (or camping)- because last time, they forgot 'that' too. We all have stories to tell.
post #14 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 11:12 AM
McKBrew

JK Wrangler 

And since it's fairly common for the 4WD linkage clip to break, I highly suggest you learn exactly where it comes out on the bottom of the vehicle and how to shift it by hand so you aren't lying in gravel under a hot Jeep for an hour or so and trying to rip up your center console in the woods.

I figured it out, but could have saved a lot of time had I known about the issue beforehand and where to go.
post #15 of 31 Old 07-22-2010, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
jeffself

2010 JK Wrangler 

These are all great suggestions! I've just ordered the Rugged Ridge floor mats for the front and rear from Northridge 4x4. Hitting the beach in about a week and want to control the sand as much as possible. Will try and get my basic kit set up before hitting the beach.

I have a feeling the wife is going to take my credit cards away from me!

2010 4dr Rubicon. Temporarily stock.

Tags
accessories , essential accessories , JK Wrangler , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in