JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Essential accessories for a new owner (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/essential-accessories-new-owner-1074157/)

McKBrew 07-22-2010 10:18 AM

Good luck on keeping the sand of of the Jeep. I've got sand all over my seats, carpet, under carpet, etc... from last weekend.

little_Jeep 07-22-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffself (Post 9831460)
These are all great suggestions! I've just ordered the Rugged Ridge floor mats for the front and rear from Northridge 4x4. Hitting the beach in about a week and want to control the sand as much as possible. Will try and get my basic kit set up before hitting the beach.

I have a feeling the wife is going to take my credit cards away from me!

There isn't sand anyway within 500 miles of me so I have never wheeled in sand. However, wheel-n in sand is different than wheel-n in dirt or rock. Maybe a few guys/gals here that have experience in sand, can share some sand driving tips.

Amesbear 07-22-2010 10:27 AM

When I had my Jeep (RIP) I always had the following:

Jumper cables
Camp Shovel
Tow Straps
Socket Set
Ponchos
Foil Blankets
Candles
Flashlight
Matches (in an aspirin bottle)

I'd also recommend a fire extinguisher.

jeffself 07-22-2010 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little_Jeep (Post 9831516)
There isn't sand anyway within 500 miles of me so I have never wheeled in sand. However, wheel-n in sand is different than wheel-n in dirt or rock. Maybe a few guys/gals here that have experience in sand, can share some sand driving tips.

Fortunately for me, I'm 3 hrs from the mountains and only a little over an hour from riding on the beach. I'll mostly do the sand, but I definitely look forward to hitting the mountains either this fall or next summer.

May have to arrange a little Jeep excursion around a Virginia Tech football game!

little_Jeep 07-22-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amesbear (Post 9831535)
When I had my Jeep (RIP) I always had the following:

Jumper cables
Camp Shovel
Tow Straps
Socket Set
Ponchos
Foil Blankets
Candles
Flashlight
Matches (in an aspirin bottle)

I'd also recommend a fire extinguisher.

FYI, Stick matches painted with clear finger nail polish are pretty much water proof.

1222 07-22-2010 11:10 AM

I also carry a top rated tire plug kit. Not only is it good for your vehicle but others too. Iíve used it several times over the years. Of course youíll need an air compressor which I feel is a must have anyway.
:cheers2:

krip 07-23-2010 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by little_Jeep (Post 9831282)
You are in my area of the World.... so I suspect that the terrian we have is about the same.

CB radio (don't waste your time with a handheld) there are some real nice mini CB that work great for about $50.00 (Cobra M19 at Wally World, but there are others to choose from).

CB antenna, Firestic II, or Wilson (Pilot Truck Stops have a great selection of these antenna). For wheel-n, you want antenna to stick above the roof line only a couple inches, any taller and you will just knock it off in brush. Usually a 3 foot fiberglass antenna works perfect if mounted about tail light high. If you want to use CB for highway use, purchase a second taller antenna.

Great tips. I like the idea of teh Cobra 19 (especially the small size) Curious to know where and how you mounted the unit inside your jeep?

Thanks
Krip

little_Jeep 07-23-2010 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krip (Post 9838044)
Great tips. I like the idea of teh Cobra 19 (especially the small size) Curious to know where and how you mounted the unit inside your jeep?

Thanks
Krip

I actually have the Cobra 19 in my tow rig and I have it setup to be a loaner when needed... I zip tie it to a roll bar, and have a long power cord that plugs into cigerette lighter, add my magnetic antenna, and a newbie without a CB now has a CB. You can mount it under the dash, beside the console, there is a mount that you can mount it on dash by driver's side door, basically, you can mount it anywhere if you also attach a $10.00 external speaker so you can hear what is being said.

fernjack 07-23-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1222 (Post 9831849)
I also carry a top rated tire plug kit. Not only is it good for your vehicle but others too. Iíve used it several times over the years. Of course youíll need an air compressor which I feel is a must have anyway.
:cheers2:

That has been a trip saver for me in the past ....... I strongly second this for sure :cheers::wave:

Mudhound0530 07-24-2010 02:31 AM

Maglite and cb

Silvercreek 11-19-2015 09:16 AM

Just as a note, I think the word essential is a very mis-used word. Of course the aftermarket retailers are taking advantage of it in their advertising. Check out what you get when you search Jeep Wrangler Essentials.

cranbiz 11-19-2015 09:47 AM

I mounted my CB using the Rugged Ridge Footman loop mount. It's holding a Bearcat 990 radio and it's solid.

jay-h 11-19-2015 10:05 AM

Pocket code scanner

fastfreddie 11-19-2015 10:22 AM

Essential?
GraBars.
:D

After your sandy, play time is through, make sure you hose out the sand that accumulates in the nooks and crannies of the undercarriage. The sand will act like a localized sandblaster due to vibrations, not to mention it being a moisture trap.

motoguy1251 11-19-2015 12:12 PM

To me the most essential tools for a Jeep is a Torque wrench and preventative maintenance.

The time now is 10:55 AM.