Engine Computer Issues? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-23-2021, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
cbjeeper

Engine Computer Issues?

I just picked up a low mileage 2008 Jeep JK. It ran and drove excellent. All was operating perfectly. Being the OCD person that I am, I decided the never-cleaned engine compartment has to be addressed. As I have all my vehicles, I sprayed it down in simple green and took the power washer to it. It looked fantastic when finished. I used my compressor to dry all connector (exterior of connectors) and started the engine. It ran perfectly. I let it run until warm to continue to dry all components and then shut if off. When I started it the next day the check engine light came on. I drove it in to town, figuring that the CEL was engine wash related. It seemed to run fine. I do remember on the downhill to our house that there was impressive engine braking, but had the radio on and maybe did not notice high RPMs. The next morning I started to again drive the Jeep but quickly found that RPM were 4,000 at 45 mph. I realized something was wrong and doubled back to the house. Later, I again test drove (CEL still lit) and the (auto) transmission will not shift out of what appears to be 1st gear. After some reading, I determined that water may have compromised the harness connectors going into the computer module. I (with the battery connected) systematically removed each connector, blew each side with compressed air and reconnected. I did the same for the two connectors behind the intake manifold. I also disconnected the battery and reconnected. Now when I start the engine I get the CEL, the electric bolt symbol and the traction control symbol and the engine runs rough, stumbles and will not accelerate.

I must also add that I have also made numerous attempts to scan with an ODB II and the scanner comes up with ERR.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-24-2021, 08:05 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

I suggest a different scanner, or tell us if you have a quality (read $$$) scanner?

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-24-2021, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
cbjeeper

No, it was a generic, low cost reader. I used to have a Hypertech tuner that I used for this purpose, but sold it with my last JK.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-24-2021, 03:11 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I (with the battery connected) systematically removed each connector
Not a good idea. ANY time you do any sort of electrical work on a vehicle, you need to disconnect the battery. If you fried your TIPM, this is what likely did it.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #5 of 5 Old 05-04-2021, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
cbjeeper

OK, I want to take an opportunity to update this issue.

After cooling my jets for a couple days, I decided to systematically repeat the steps I had previously taken, but with the battery disconnected this time. I disconnected all the wire connectors under the hood and again blew them out with air and reconnected. After completing and about 20 minutes later I connected the battery and connected by newly acquired Superchips 6874. I read the codes as P0882 and cleared the code. After clearing and starting the engine the CEL came back on immediately. I shut off the engine and cycled the ignition key three times at roughly 15 seconds each. This time the CEL did not return and I drove the Jeep to find that it was still operating in 2nd gear. After 30 minutes of driving, it did not set off the CEL. After more research, I learned that the TIPM J18 fuse could be the culprit in not allowing the transmission solenoids to operate. I pulled the 20-A fuse and sure enough, it was failed. I replaced with a new fuse and can report that all is now working perfectly!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in