Electrical gurus take heed! Grounding problem? Where to start? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Electrical gurus take heed! Grounding problem? Where to start?

OK, CJ are notorious for poor grounds but seems like the JK isn't much better.

It all started with a dome light that would flash when closing the door. A nuisance at worse but now it's escalated into a demonic possession.

I figured that while my son is away in 'mil training' I would fix fix all the problems on his jeep. I got maybe 8 months.
It's a 2008 JK Wrangler. V6, 6 speed nav package.

What I notice so far:
LED tail lights never shut off completely. They are barely visible only at night but always on.
Brake lights flash when you close the doors. Either side.
Nav radio only shows "JEEP" nothing else ever, unless you have the doors off. Then some strange radio station sometimes comes on sometimes.
ALL the lights/warning and otherwise light on the dash momentarily. Sometimes, have really figured out the sequence to make that happen. All the fuel gauge pins, goes to zero, pins and go to zero. Might be bump related.
Engine does not shut off with the doors off. EEK!!. Radio comes on and wipers start to wipe, low speed. when key turned off.
Traction control light comes on at start but will turn off if you hit the button 3 times.
MIL light is on all the time, Error code is O2 sensor. (Started after he welded his exhaust hanger.)
Air bag light on all the time and horn does not work. Use to sound randomly. (Suspect the clock spring as the wheel kept on spinning when his sector shaft broke on the steering box. There was this tearing sound...)
One headlight turns on when jeep is turned off for a little while, Both work normally though when headlights are turned on.

Electrical upgrades:
Electric locker in rear.
Some type of arc light headlights with amber halos and green lights inside.
4ea fog lights on windshield.
halos in bumper driving lights
rear view mirror back up camera.
LED tail lights.
Under dash mood lights (?)
auxiliary backup lights in rear bumper.
Jeep CJ LED Tail lights, (round LED lights lost all the little LED's.)

Any drawings where all the grounds are located?

The jeep runs great other than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I drive a Prius to save money and buy more Jeep Parts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 03:01 PM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

Register to become a member of autozone's benefits: https://www.autozone.com/myzone/prof...ipBenefits.jsp
post #3 of 7 Old 07-01-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
Register to become a member of autozone's benefits: https://www.autozone.com/myzone/prof...ipBenefits.jsp
Too bad they only offer help on vehicles up to 2007...

Quote:
Take advantage of our services by registering with us. Registered users have unlimited access to thousands of pages of repair instructions through our free Vehicle Repair Guides. These Guides have vehicle-specific printable repair instructions covering a large number of models from 1950-2007. Registered members can also keep track of their vehicle's service history as well as sign up to receive e-mailed information about their vehicle including Technical Service Bulletin titles, recall notices, and service reminders.
Missed it by that much...

post #4 of 7 Old 07-02-2019, 03:50 AM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

Then there's the Haynes subscription: https://haynes.com/en-us/jeep/wrangler/1987-2017
post #5 of 7 Old 07-02-2019, 09:21 AM
JTPhoto

1937 CJ2A 

I see a lot of bad going on here.
- CJ LED taillights do not have the proper draw and resistor harness and will make the computer go crazy
- LED headlights without the proper harness and resistors will also cause computer issues.
- 2007 to 2011 do have engine ground strap issues. This can be fixed by running a 4 gauge ground cable from battery negative to the alternator bracket.

You can start by disconnecting those LED lights, add the ground, and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^Jeff^^
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, D44HD/J8 w/ OX locker and RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 2635 Predator Alloys, AEV Prem Bumper, Smitty X2O 12K ETC..
post #6 of 7 Old 07-03-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
I see a lot of bad going on here.
- CJ LED taillights do not have the proper draw and resistor harness and will make the computer go crazy
- LED headlights without the proper harness and resistors will also cause computer issues.
- 2007 to 2011 do have engine ground strap issues. This can be fixed by running a 4 gauge ground cable from battery negative to the alternator bracket.

You can start by disconnecting those LED lights, add the ground, and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you,

I noticed the PO left the original tail lights bulbs (incandescent) hidden in the body to create a load on the tail light circuit. I'll see If I can add a load resistor and get rid of the bulbs to get a good Draw on them. Would 10 Ohms each be enough?

They are HID light I found out. And he is always burning up the power supply for them. I'll have to see if I can run down some stock headlights for it until I get this sorted out.

I'll add some ground wires right as suggester.

post #7 of 7 Old 07-08-2019, 05:42 PM
waterdowg

1984 CJ7 

Wow John that's a lot. Was the PO British? Sounds like it is wired to Lucus specs....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in