Do garmin maps expire? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kev M
  • 1 Post By fixajet

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-16-2019, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
fixajet

Do garmin maps expire?

I have a 2016 jku rubicon that I purchased 6 months ago. About a month ago I got a message on my rhb16 stereo that said something to the effect that my nav map was about to expire and that I needed to update it. Something about going to garmin.com. I just blew it off and didn't give it another thought. Yesterday I went to put in an address and there is no detailed map there. The gps is still working and it still shows present position but no detailed map and wouldn't let me put in an address. Im getting 3 messages: "detailed maps are required for routing. No detailed maps were found on this unit." "Can't unlock maps" and "No map data available".
Really! is garmin/Jeep so cheap that I can't use an expired map? Or, is there something wrong with my stereo? Everything else works on the stereo, even stored music on the hard drive so I don't think the hard drive failed.
I have 2 weeks left on the 36 month warranty. Do I take it to the dealer and ask them what's wrong with my navigation system? or should I just do the update on my own and hope nothing is wrong with my stereo.
By the way, I hate going to the dealer and avoid at all cost, but if something is wrong with my stereo I want it covered while its still under warranty.
Thoughts?

88 yj 4.2 28" from ground to bottom of rocker panel. Trak lok, Posi-Lok and Aussie locked! Howell tbi.
"One day, square will be rare!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-16-2019, 09:11 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

What do you have to lose by having them look at it under warranty?

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-16-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
fixajet

There is nothing wrong with having the dealer check it out. I guess what Im asking, Is it normal for maps to expire and delete themselves? If this is the case I will deal with updating on my own. If its not normal, I will take it to the dealer.

88 yj 4.2 28" from ground to bottom of rocker panel. Trak lok, Posi-Lok and Aussie locked! Howell tbi.

post #4 of 11 Old 08-16-2019, 11:16 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Not normal

Someone on this forum recently tried to update their map and somehow deleted the existing map while simultaneously failing to install the new up, rendering the unit’s navigation useless

post #5 of 11 Old 08-16-2019, 01:21 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Yeah Garmin update software can be kind of wonky even when it comes to their own software working with their own hardware. I've got a few lifetime maps Garmin units and only keep them around to keep my Basecamp mapping software updated with good maps, I've moved to full phone/tablet navigation now so the Garmin units just sit on my shelf collecting dust.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #6 of 11 Old 08-17-2019, 06:01 PM
Socalruby

2016 JK Wrangler 

Pretty strange. I get those update messages once a year and I just decline them and everything goes back to normal. The one time it asked to update and I hit OK, it wanted me to pay like $49 or something and I declined and things went back to normal.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-18-2019, 08:35 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalruby View Post
Pretty strange. I get those update messages once a year and I just decline them and everything goes back to normal. The one time it asked to update and I hit OK, it wanted me to pay like $49 or something and I declined and things went back to normal.
This

We've got the original map in both the 2012 (WK2) and the 2016 (JKU).

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #8 of 11 Old 08-18-2019, 06:12 PM
Randglerjk

Contact Garmin, hopefully they have the option for you to get a Lifetime license and pay a one tome cost to get free map updates for life. There’s nothing worse than having a Nav unit and not using it because its POIs are outdated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 11 Old 08-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randglerjk View Post
Contact Garmin, hopefully they have the option for you to get a Lifetime license and pay a one tome cost to get free map updates for life. There’s nothing worse than having a Nav unit and not using it because its POIs are outdated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Outdated?

Meh.

Built in nav systems and static maps are a thing of yesterday anyway. Apple car play/Android auto and the ability to use constantly updated apps would be the way to go anyway.

Besides, I can't think of many times the "outdated" original map in our 2012 mattered, unless we were say looking for a Columbian restaurant between OBX and NJ.... Then we just used Google anyway...

downs likes this.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #10 of 11 Old 08-23-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
fixajet

thought i would give an update. The jeep was at the dealer for a day and a half. Just picked it up. They tried to update the nav data base and bricked the whole stereo. Looks like Im getting a whole new stereo. glad I didn't try to update it on my own and that I got it into them while I still got 2 weeks of warranty left.
Prot likes this.

post #11 of 11 Old 08-24-2019, 08:43 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Glad you didn’t put it off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in