DIY qik disconnect idea - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jwmbishop

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-13-2018, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
excessiveforce
2016 JK Wrangler 

DIY qik disconnect idea

Credit: username Lupinsea (jeepforum.com)

Hey everyone. Quick disco prices are insane. Been looking up diy qik discos. Saw this one where this guy saws part of a bolt off then attaches it to the lower end link tab that's welded to the axle. Which I thot was way too much work considering I don't have a chop saw. Anyhow I'm thinking of a slightly easier dfrnt route. I'm thinking the original poster thot of it but maybe thot it was unsafe. See pic below. Tell me if anyone sees a problem with it. It seems much easier than his way but the question is will this be good and safe. Pls leave me your input. Thx it's a 2016 JKU daily driver. Using 12mm class 10.9 metric hardened bolts nuts and washer. I will be hacking off the threads and drilling a 1/4 in hole thru the shoulder of the bolt to accept the lynch pin.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3167_1528922092160.jpg  

Last edited by excessiveforce; 06-13-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: forgot to mention
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-13-2018, 10:00 PM
USMCWO97

2004 WJ 

I did this with my TJ and it worked just fine but you need to use a washer and a pin lock pin (round or square) this pin will rattle out of the hole. I used a square lock pin and never had any issues.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-16-2018, 08:22 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
The concept is ok, if execution is done well. Biggest concern is pin clearances. The high dollar discos are higher than mere bolts BECAUSE the pin is made to a much closer tolerance, and hardening process is tighter controlled. A brand new pin set fits nicely in the eye bushing, very little clearance. Sure bushing and pin wears and over time the added slack creates a soft spot in handling over center. But the bolt, if it starts looser (diameter clearance) it gets worse and gets there faster (daily drive concern).
And if I get you, you're gonna weld the bolt hex to the tab?
Why?

Cut the hex off and use THAT end for the bushing pin (cut long and grind a nice taper, heat and quench to re-harden) Use two crimp lock flange nuts on the the threaded end to mount it to the axle tabs.

And like stated above, a thick washer to spread the radial load...
propped1 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in