Don't care either way. 14 8.97%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 04:51 PM
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
more torque- most importantly! so better for wheeling, especially rocks and climbing.
Gears. There is a point where you just break stuff. The 3.8L has enough grunt in 4 lo now.

Quote:
also more efficient, so better mpg.
True, but not always cheaper to run. Oil changes cost more, maint cost more, fuel can be so much more expensive that the fuel mileage does not matter.

Quote:
simple modifications to increase power
Only on some turbo diesels.

Quote:
plus you get that cool black cloud of smoke when you stomp on it
Just what 4 wheelers need. Another reason for the eco-nazis to shut down our trails.

Cole Ford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 05:15 PM
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
Diesel, Michigan weather ???...I will stick with what I have
My neighbor has a TDi Jetta and Diesel F-350... I don't even see him having an issue.

2013 FR-S
post #18 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 05:24 PM
RussK
2007 JK Wrangler 

agree. I am in MI and know plenty of diesel owners. No problems from what they say.

start saving money for that too

sign me up or for the diesel swap once its here you can get as a crate motor.

post #19 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 05:42 PM
HELMET
2006 LJ Wrangler 

In very cold weather the diesel fuel will gel. I have seen truckers chipping a hole in it so that they can put in adatives to help melt it. If you are lucky it will just plug your filters, and not the lines and fuel rail. I deal with it every winter by adding about 25% of diesel #1 to the tank after the station has blended thier fuel. I do this when the temp. is going to be in the teens or lower. You must also plug in a diesel motor to keep it warm or it will not start. I would love a factory V8 but would stay away from the diesel if you live or wheel where it gets very cold.
post #20 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 06:06 PM
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HELMET View Post
In very cold weather the diesel fuel will gel. I have seen truckers chipping a hole in it so that they can put in adatives to help melt it. If you are lucky it will just plug your filters, and not the lines and fuel rail. I deal with it every winter by adding about 25% of diesel #1 to the tank after the station has blended thier fuel. I do this when the temp. is going to be in the teens or lower. You must also plug in a diesel motor to keep it warm or it will not start. I would love a factory V8 but would stay away from the diesel if you live or wheel where it gets very cold.
Thanks for the background music...I fully agree..
My son has a F250 with a Navistar and he has a lot of "procedures" to follow during very cold weather..Also diesels are not your favorite engines for short trips/runs..Anyway diesels are work horses, their torque curves require a lot of correct shifting to ride the peak of the curve otherwise you loose the power..
post #21 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 PM
bbjsw10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
their torque curves require a lot of correct shifting to ride the peak of the curve otherwise you loose the power..
I thought the reason for alot of shifting was there limited Rpm's and also turbo spool. The torque curve is normally pretty flat on a diesel.

Here in Ohio the "procedures" for starting a diesel is wait for the glow plugs and crank it over.

Also the only time you normally have gel-ing issues is with summer diesel, they make a winter mix that prevents gel-ing of the fuel.

I am no expert on this, but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express once.

[]lllll[]
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/project-code-name-olive-56k-enter-own-risk-891727/
post #22 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 06:32 PM
ZX14Rider

2008 JK Wrangler 

As a long haul truck driver of about 15 years I'm finding all this diesel gloom and doom stuff kinda funny...
post #23 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 06:55 PM
bbjsw10
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14_Rider View Post
As a long haul truck driver of about 15 years I'm finding all this diesel gloom and doom stuff kinda funny...
Yeah I get a kick out of it too. Diesels have advanced about 15x in technology in the last 15 years. They are also more reliable compared to gassers. Hundreds of thousands of miles on a diesel is standard these days.

So yeah I would buy a diesel Wrangler I wanted one for a while.

[]lllll[]
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/project-code-name-olive-56k-enter-own-risk-891727/
post #24 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 07:03 PM
Kencary

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
Now that a diesel wrangler is going to become a reality instead of a fantasy (for some) let's hear some discussion of what you prefer.

Personally I'm a gas fan due to the quicker throttle response and performance. I think the diesel will be a cool option but I think that a gas motor does better in the sticky mud.
I have the 2.8CRD Turbo in a Liberty and thanks to its electronically controlled variable geometry turbo, it is surprisingly responsive.

I would love to have one in a manual trans Wrangler.
post #25 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 09:32 PM
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Gears. There is a point where you just break stuff. The 3.8L has enough grunt in 4 lo now.

True, but not always cheaper to run. Oil changes cost more, maint cost more, fuel can be so much more expensive that the fuel mileage does not matter.

Just what 4 wheelers need. Another reason for the eco-nazis to shut down our trails.
I doubt it will smoke, won't be able to meet emissions requirements if it does....

You can also alleviate some of the maintenance cost if you do your maintenance yourself....

I sort of agree with your first statement...with proper gearing, the 3.8 gets the job done, but doesn't come with proper gearing imho...

Let's all face it, the main reason we are finally getting a diesel is to help with CAFE numbers....but I am sorely tempted...the wife and I are already planning on one for her, after they have been out a year....she doesn't want to be a guinea pig either...

2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 09:58 PM
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
their torque curves require a lot of correct shifting to ride the peak of the curve otherwise you loose the power..
that's why they add Turbos to them.

2013 FR-S
post #27 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 11:01 PM
VIJeeper
2007 JK Wrangler 

well if its on a blog on the interwebs it must be true!

My Jeep: 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X. Rescue Green, 6 speed.
post #28 of 61 Old 11-04-2009, 11:35 PM
No_Return

2008 JK Wrangler 

Having owned Diesels in the past I am sort of neutral here. I owned the best Diesel Car ever made, Mecedes 300D and on the other end of the spectrum possibly the worst diesel ever made the 1982 GMC 6.2L Diesel.

The 3 things going against all diesels are:

#1 Price of Diesel Fuel... High Taxes make it more $.
#2 Price of Diesel Vehicles typically a $2500 - $5000 premium
#3 New Diesel emissions requirements that rob about 20% of the power.

Don't forget that with the new owners it may be a FIAT diesel truck engine and transmission they end up using not the Mercedes Engine / Transmission currently in the Euro JK.

One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes a revolution in order to establish a dictatorship. - Orwell
post #29 of 61 Old 11-05-2009, 05:28 AM
RussK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX14_Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbjsw10
Yeah I get a kick out of it too. Diesels have advanced about 15x in technology in the last 15 years. They are also more reliable compared to gassers. Hundreds of thousands of miles on a diesel is standard these days.

AGREE TOTALLY

my neighbor has a diesel in his dodge has 300k on it. He uses it to plow snow. He is buying new one cus the truck itself is falling apart from the salt he uses, not the engine. (in mich). He doesnt plug it it. the fuel doesn't gel. it is 2009 and we are not talking about diesel engines in huge semi's.

If you use bio diesel then maybe but it is a mixture so it won't gel.. And now they don't react to the starting and stopping like they use too.

if you haven't owned one or know someone who owns one than you need to do some research on the diesel engines they put in light trucks and passenger cars now

its a far cry from even 10 years ago.

Last edited by RussK; 11-05-2009 at 05:50 AM.
post #30 of 61 Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Bgut
2009 JK Wrangler 

The problem with putting a diesel in the wrangler is not that it is a diesel.

It is they will put a comparable hp/ torque diesel in the wrangler so they don't have to change the axles or the transmissions. If they put a 300 hp/ 600+ torque diesel in it with dana 60 front and rear then it may be worth it to buy it. But if they are going to put a 160 hp/ 275 lbs torque crap in it then I don't see any advantage to buying one. I would rather see a small V8 gas engine in it.

Last edited by NaeKid; 11-05-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Moderator: Approved post

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in