Diagnosing Death Wobble and Fixing Non-DW Shimmies and Wobbles - Page 24 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #346 of 360 Old 06-18-2015, 11:32 AM
unicron
2012 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the replies all.

since I am not 100% sure it's JUST the ball joints causing the death wobble, and it would seem the Chrysler Maximum Care should take care of it; I will bring it in to hopefully have them replace as many faulty parts as possible.

I don't want to get caught throwing money at a specific part (say ball joints), and then it turns out something else causes the death wobble...breaking more parts and possible busting up the new ball joints i just installed...heh.

best case scenario for me now is that the dealership gets the car driveable, and down the road i replace the ball joints with synergy or dynatrac ball joints.

I called the dealer my appointment is on July 1st!!! There has been recent floods in houston, I think they are backed up.
Thank goodness this is a 3rd car for us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #347 of 360 Old 06-18-2015, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
planman
Thanks to all Mod erators

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicron
thanks for the replies all. since I am not 100% sure it's JUST the ball joints causing the death wobble, and it would seem the Chrysler Maximum Care should take care of it; I will bring it in to hopefully have them replace as many faulty parts as possible. I don't want to get caught throwing money at a specific part (say ball joints), and then it turns out something else causes the death wobble...breaking more parts and possible busting up the new ball joints i just installed...heh. best case scenario for me now is that the dealership gets the car driveable, and down the road i replace the ball joints with synergy or dynatrac ball joints. I called the dealer my appointment is on July 1st!!! There has been recent floods in houston, I think they are backed up. Thank goodness this is a 3rd car for us.
One of the primary points of the first post in this thread is that dealer techs are not sufficiently trained to diagnose the sources of the problem.

It is likely that they will just install a new steering stabilizer and not look at anything else.

It is in your best interest to diagnose the sources of the problem so that you can ask them to fix those specific components.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #348 of 360 Old 08-25-2015, 01:29 PM
Leahcim
1993 ZJ 

93zj limited death wobble

first post, first rig. 93zj limited 5.2 stock
wow thank you planman!
i first experienced my dw hitting a rock around a corner at hwy speeds, i pulled over thinking id blown a tire. i didnt notice anything(but didnt really know what to look for). drove home without any major issue(500km). i drove for a bit with a speed dependant wobble. then dw at 120km\hr again slight turn hit dip in road and... had to stop and check, shop says everything tight but steering box and STEERING STABALISER. great replace stabaliser and tighten box. and all was well untill it wase't. was doing lots of hwy commuting and couldnt feel safe so i parked it till time&money alowed.

went through your check list after watching your videos. wife was not happy with the arm workout but i learned alot:

1. steering box to frame seams to twist at bottom all is tight no visable cracking of frame (could dw fatigue frame alowing twist?)
2. clunk felt at pitman arm TRE but no movement up\down. all the way to passenger side of drag link. all looks good.
3. traking bar feels good no clunk but up and down movement noticable at frame bracket end.
would this transmit to be clunk in draglink side? or is that likly in box or TRE?
axle side was tight but i broke it checking bushing so i replaced bolt(truck is metric) whole was not wallowed but bolt was coroded. used 10mm shank 10.9 bolt fit was tight torqed to 74lbs bushing could be moved with screwdriver but seamed tight.

4. ball joints and berings look good no movement

5. ca bushings with minor cracking and visual damage no visual sway when truck pushed side to side

6. sway bar bushings and link bushins look old and cracked

7. all bushings in rear craking and old looking, noticeable sway in her whole ***

i dont have a large channel lock can i squeez/test TREs another way?

i am going now to tighten steering box and see if i can tighten bolt on frame end of track bar it is TRE so we will see.

i guess im looking for the best/cheepest way to fix dw without replacing new parts again if i decide to raise it 2-4"

but that being said i dont have alot of money these days and need to make it safe first and formost.

1. replace track bar
2. steering box stifener(is it nessasary)
3. all new bushings (rubber complete)
4. should i replace control arms front and back top and bottom as a unit i read something about burning old bushings off(no thx)

i saw at kevins off road they have a dw kit for $530ish

KOR-1199 Super Durometer Bushings, upper and lower KOR-1109 (x2) Special Polyurethane Lubricant Tubes KOR-9001 Hard-KOR Track Bar Conversion KOR-7401 Hard-KOR Double-Reinforced Steering Box Brace KOR-9309 Hard-KOR Steering Stabilizer w/ hardware

your thoughts pls.

or just get ome parts.

thank you for all previos posts learning a ton

post #349 of 360 Old 08-25-2015, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leahcim View Post
first post, first rig. 93zj limited 5.2 stock
wow thank you planman!
i first experienced my dw hitting a rock around a corner at hwy speeds, i pulled over thinking id blown a tire. i didnt notice anything(but didnt really know what to look for). drove home without any major issue(500km). i drove for a bit with a speed dependant wobble. then dw at 120km\hr again slight turn hit dip in road and... had to stop and check, shop says everything tight but steering box and STEERING STABALISER. great replace stabaliser and tighten box. and all was well untill it wase't. was doing lots of hwy commuting and couldnt feel safe so i parked it till time&money alowed.

went through your check list after watching your videos. wife was not happy with the arm workout but i learned alot:

1. steering box to frame seams to twist at bottom all is tight no visable cracking of frame (could dw fatigue frame alowing twist?)
2. clunk felt at pitman arm TRE but no movement up\down. all the way to passenger side of drag link. all looks good.
3. traking bar feels good no clunk but up and down movement noticable at frame bracket end.
would this transmit to be clunk in draglink side? or is that likly in box or TRE?
axle side was tight but i broke it checking bushing so i replaced bolt(truck is metric) whole was not wallowed but bolt was coroded. used 10mm shank 10.9 bolt fit was tight torqed to 74lbs bushing could be moved with screwdriver but seamed tight.

4. ball joints and berings look good no movement

5. ca bushings with minor cracking and visual damage no visual sway when truck pushed side to side

6. sway bar bushings and link bushins look old and cracked

7. all bushings in rear craking and old looking, noticeable sway in her whole ***

i dont have a large channel lock can i squeez/test TREs another way?

i am going now to tighten steering box and see if i can tighten bolt on frame end of track bar it is TRE so we will see.

i guess im looking for the best/cheepest way to fix dw without replacing new parts again if i decide to raise it 2-4"

but that being said i dont have alot of money these days and need to make it safe first and formost.

1. replace track bar
2. steering box stifener(is it nessasary)
3. all new bushings (rubber complete)
4. should i replace control arms front and back top and bottom as a unit i read something about burning old bushings off(no thx)

i saw at kevins off road they have a dw kit for $530ish

KOR-1199 Super Durometer Bushings, upper and lower KOR-1109 (x2) Special Polyurethane Lubricant Tubes KOR-9001 Hard-KOR Track Bar Conversion KOR-7401 Hard-KOR Double-Reinforced Steering Box Brace KOR-9309 Hard-KOR Steering Stabilizer w/ hardware

your thoughts pls.

or just get ome parts.

thank you for all previos posts learning a ton
I'd suggest you start with:

A replacement trackbar. This one looks to be a good deal and would handle a future 2-4" lift. http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-LJ-Jeep...Bar-p/7035.htm

A steering box brace.

A new drag link and tie rod (because of the clunking at your pitman arm end). A new steering stabilizer if yours is leaking or does not have a smooth stroke. This kit is heavier duty and includes a new stabilizer. http://www.amazon.com/Crown-Automoti.../dp/B009X1QS7G

Find a set of used rear control arms that are better condition than yours and run them until you lift your jeep more than 3".

post #350 of 360 Old 08-25-2015, 09:11 PM
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is there any indication that a steering box brace could be the cause of a problem?

I replaced my steering box with a mopar reman from Rock Auto and when I did , I also installed a synergy sector shaft brace as I already had their track bar brace. Well 3 weeks later ( no off roading or mall crawling) and the box starts leaking from the seal around the sector shaft and has play in the sector shaft bearing. I can see it trying to push the brace around.

Install error? Bad reman box?

I got a new OEM box from psc, but the question remains as to whether i put the brace back on.
post #351 of 360 Old 08-25-2015, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1251
Is there any indication that a steering box brace could be the cause of a problem? I replaced my steering box with a mopar reman from Rock Auto and when I did , I also installed a synergy sector shaft brace as I already had their track bar brace. Well 3 weeks later ( no off roading or mall crawling) and the box starts leaking from the seal around the sector shaft and has play in the sector shaft bearing. I can see it trying to push the brace around. Install error? Bad reman box? I got a new OEM box from psc, but the question remains as to whether i put the brace back on.
You shouldn't need a brace with a JK on 35s and a stock pitman arm.

post #352 of 360 Old 09-23-2015, 06:54 PM
ZDerry
1994 ZJ 

Planman,

I recently purchased a '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo as just a daily driver and have a good wobble from 35-45 mph. Once you hit 50 it evens back out and there aren't any issues until you slow down again. I've spoken to a friend of mine who is a bit of a Jeep officianado & he even said it was DW. Although it doesn't seem to be full blown yet I realize it to be imperative to fix ASAP. Having read your whole post and watching part one of your video I have a starting point but was wondering if you had any suggestions or an idea of where to start looking based on the symptoms i described above. Any and all help would be much appreciated!
post #353 of 360 Old 09-24-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
planman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDerry View Post
Planman,

I recently purchased a '98 Grand Cherokee Laredo as just a daily driver and have a good wobble from 35-45 mph. Once you hit 50 it evens back out and there aren't any issues until you slow down again. I've spoken to a friend of mine who is a bit of a Jeep officianado & he even said it was DW. Although it doesn't seem to be full blown yet I realize it to be imperative to fix ASAP. Having read your whole post and watching part one of your video I have a starting point but was wondering if you had any suggestions or an idea of where to start looking based on the symptoms i described above. Any and all help would be much appreciated!
A speed dependent wobble/vibration like that, which happens every single time you reach a given speed, is nearly always wheel or tire related.

Since it goes away at 50, my bet is that you simply need your wheels/tires balanced.

Full blown DW is more random and requires a trigger to start the violent oscillations.

post #354 of 360 Old 09-29-2015, 08:26 AM
mtnbiker995

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDerry View Post
Planman,

Let your "Jeep officianado" friend know that what you just described is not death wobble

post #355 of 360 Old 09-30-2015, 12:18 PM
ZDerry
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker995 View Post
Let your "Jeep officianado" friend know that what you just described is not death wobble
Unless the last video in the original post on this thread "isn't death wobble" then what I have happening is death wobble. The Jeep I currently have does the exact same thing, even if it is caused by unbalanced wheels it has alerted me to other problems under the front end of my vehicle.
post #356 of 360 Old 09-30-2015, 04:51 PM
fratracide

Hi all. I originally posted the following:

Amazingly helpful post! Thanks a zillion.

My wife and I experienced the "Death Wobble" a week or so ago while cruising on a smooth paved road at about 60mph. Most violent thing that ever happened to me in a vehicle (that didn't result in a crash). Long story short I went online, found this post, called the dealer and decided to replace the steering dampener first. We have a 2008 JK Sahara - rock-stock - with 42k miles on it. NEVER had an issue before.

So I got an aftermarket from Amazon (Rocky Ridge $45) and replaced it. The new one was stiff as hell - LOTS of dampening. So as I removed the old one it was a HUGE relief to discover that it was basically resistance-free. Had virtually no dampening (in or out) thus confirming that sometimes the most easy fix really is the right one. While I was under the jeep I checked all the stuff that I could without a tear-down and re-torqued all the bolts. NONE were loose at all. All the parts check out and perform nominally.

So I really felt like I dodged a bullet. Then again it only happened once in 42k miles so there's plenty of time left...

Thanks to mntbiker995 for his helpful reply - "What an idiot". Way to keep it fraternal and positive dude. Seriously? You're a "senior member"?

Allowing for the fact that I'm an idiot - here's a follow up for those who care.

Jeep now has 50k miles. After replacing the steering dampener for $45 I have had NO recurrence of the death wobble. Zero. Ziltch. Nada. My (idiotic) opinion is that by acting IMMEDIATELY when the problem arose that I did indeed "dodge the bullet". That's an additional trouble-free 8000 miles for a $45 - 15 minute fix. That doesn't mean it won't come back at any time. It doesn't mean all the good advice in this thread is wrong. It just means that sometimes a chest pain is just gas - not a heart attack and it MIGHT be a good idea to try the low cost route first. In fairness, I did check EVERYTHING listed as wobble causes then had my dealer do it again when I couldn't find any loose, worn, or damaged components. Maybe it was a fluke - maybe it'll return someday. Maybe it'll get crushed by a meteorite. But in the meanwhile it cost me $45 to fix.

But then again...what do I know? I'm just an idiot.
post #357 of 360 Old 09-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Xatten

2013 JK Wrangler 

It's pretty sad that some people feel the need to flame others. That shouldn't happen from anybody on this forum as we all should share the same passion for our Jeeps. Especially not from a Senior Member. Sorry that happened.
Glad you solved the problem with a little troubleshooting. Take yourself out for dinner. On you!

Just Hunt!
post #358 of 360 Old 10-02-2015, 03:57 PM
MynameisIAN
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have a random questions about DW. Is there a certain part associated with a certain kind of DW? Slow speed DW vs. high speed DW? I'm curious to know if there are certain culprits that would cause DW.
post #359 of 360 Old 10-05-2015, 09:54 PM
PhatBasturd
Web Wheeler

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratracide
Hi all... Thanks to mntbiker995 for his helpful reply - "What an idiot". Way to keep it fraternal and positive dude. Seriously? You're a "senior member"? Allowing for the fact that I'm an idiot - here's a follow up for those who care.... I'm just an idiot.
Don't think he was replying to your post.

Sent from my over priced iPhone.
post #360 of 360 Old 10-12-2015, 06:28 PM
orangecrush03
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratracide View Post
"What an idiot". Way to keep it fraternal and positive dude. Seriously? You're a "senior member"?

Two thoughts I'd mention...

1) I don't think mtnbiker was referring to any member here, I took it as he was referring the guy at Sema. Just sayin'

2) I agree with the others here. I believe the parts installed are just that.... a way to mask the true problem. It's not just Jeeps. My buddy took me for a ride in his Dodge Ram and it was SO VIOLENT, I couldn't keep my cell phone steady enough to video it.

He changed tires and it went away. I am NOT saying tires were the cure, I'm just saying what he did. I've known a couple of guys that had BFGoodrich's that when they got some miles on them had the exact same problem.

I'm with the OP's cure to fix it...

Mark

Tags
death wobble , JK Wrangler , shake , shaking , steering shimmy , wheel shimmy , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in