Death Wobble- need new shocks - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 17 Old 10-05-2016, 11:14 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmreagan View Post
OP, to rule out ball joints jack the front end of the JK up and set it atop some jack stands securely. Use the jack as a back up to the jack stands for redundant safety. Then grab the front tire at 6:00 and 12:00. Yank the tire at the aforementioned positions back and forth. Repeat the process to the other side. If you have no movement with the wheel then your ball joints are fine. This is an easy way to check ball joints and will save you lots of cash IF they check out fine with no movement... instead of throwing money at parts that don't need replacing. Now if you were on 37" tires and had 80K on the odometer I would have mentioned the above ball joint check as well in my previous thread above. But I believe I read you have stock-ish sized tires and no lift if I'm not mistaken. So I didn't mention the ball joint check...
That will check the upper ball joints for side play, but the lower ball joints need to be checked for vertical play with a pry bar under the tire.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 17 Old 10-14-2016, 04:26 PM
wilson1010
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As usual, everyone has an opinion. Some better than others above, but none from any actual inspection of your rig. Hence, none that mean anything other than you will find on one of the 200,000 pages that mention it.

The good news is that there are probably more 4x4 shops in Denver per capita than anywhere else. And, as was said by some of the more savvy posts above, unless you have considerable expertise, a good 4x4 shop is where you take death wobble. Post in the Colorado forum and ask for a recommendation of a knowledgeable 4x4 shop.

Good luck.

03 Rubicon; 99 xj with too much stuff to list; Unimog 406 (gone)

Tags
death wobble , lift advice , shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in