Complete Audio System Upgrade...HELP please! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
pegleg1960
2014 JK Wrangler 

Complete Audio System Upgrade...HELP please!

First, please allow me to say hello. Hello!
It's awesome to have found this forum!
Okay. Here's the deal...my stock stereo system really sucks. It just doesn't do any justice for the rest of an otherwise spectacular ride. I have new Infinity Kappa line speakers, 1600 watt 4- channel amp, 12" 800 watt amplified Subwoofer that I intend to install myself.
I visited a local "nationwide" car toy installer...got an estimate of $619. I almost needed pain medication after hearing that.
Here is what I need help with:
1.How to run 4 gauge dedicated wire from battery, through firewall to a Power Distribution Block.
2.How to run NEW speaker wiring from Head to speakers.
**I need to do those things because of the power requirements and because the speaker wiring is woefully undersized.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
pegleg1960
2014 JK Wrangler 

This is actually my wife's Jeep. It was my turn for a new vehicle but she has always wanted a new Jeep. I can get mine after we pay for this one. The stereo system upgrade is for her and I want to do the very best quality work that I am able to do, for her. Shoot, my sound system in my 12 year old Mazda B3000 is currently better than the system in the new Jeep. I can't have it that way. I want her to have the good stuff.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 07:13 AM
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've run a couple wires through the firewall for my CB radio. Open your passenger side door fully, and look towards the front of the jeep in the hinge area, there is a spot of foam about the size of a quarter that runs through to the engine compartment. I just used a wire coat hanger to poke the wires through. I don't know if this is best option for you though. If you want, I can take a couple pics and show you if this doesn't make sense.

The first thing I did when I bought my jeep was swap out the sound system, but I only replaced the heat unit, woofers and tweeters. It's more than loud enough for me. The sound quality difference is night and day, and I think I paid about 300 because I did it myself. It's really not tough at all.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 07:18 AM
ravenworks

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well there are two things that you will need if you want to do this proper.
1- you'll need a firewall pass thru
2- you will need to fuse it at the battery with a mega fuse

Semper-Fi "81-84"
I.U.O.E. - 18
post #5 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 08:55 AM
jm708
2014 JK Wrangler 

I also went through the foam on the passenger-side. As for the speaker wire, I may be wrong but why bother running new wire for them? Unless your doing a comp set up I think the stock are fine. I can make my ears bled with my set up and all four of the 6.5 kickers are on stock speaker wire. Just get the plug adapters and be done IMHO http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207105...s.html?tp=1025 .
I put in four kicker 6.5's and my old rockford fosgate p3 12" in a sealed box and hifonics brutus amp and a cheap JVC head unit. I can say it rocks.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 09:59 AM
Montaska

2016 KL Cherokee 

It's actually really easy as the Jeep has easy-to-access holes through the firewall located on each side of the dash. Also, I would recommend you hit up YouTube for the wiring as a visual may better help you. Since you're hooking it all to an amp, it's actually far easier than if you weren't, IMHO. Do it yourself! You should run new properly-gauged speaker wire from your amp to your speakers. For your first time I recommend an amp wiring kit as it will come with everything you need, including the fuse. I assume you have the rest of the cables required to hook your head unit to your amp.

2016 Cherokee KL Latitude ADI
- 1.5" MFC Lift
- 245/70R17 Cooper Discoverer A/T3

1997 ZJ: Sold | 2002 WJ: Sold | 2007 JK: Sold | 2016 KL: Current
post #7 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
pegleg1960
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies! I was an HVAC Tech for 27 years and I have very good electrical skills....with alternating current. Direct current is another story and I have never done any wiring on a vehicle other than a trailer. One of my biggest concerns is to not screw the pooch when it comes to dismantling and/or removing interior panels and such.
I have a 4 gauge amp wiring kit and will use some of the stuff in it. I also have a Power Distribution Block for main and branch circuit power needs. I appreciate the lead on the little foam filled hole thing and will check that out. I'll probablt try to fit a grommet in the hole for wire protection. As for the speaker wiring, leaving the existing wires and directing them to the input side of the amp is a great idea(why didn't I think of that?)!
Can anyone tell me if I will be able to run wires on the passenger side, through rocker panels in order to get my subwoofer wires to the cargo compartment area?
BTW, if anyone has any air conditioning questions I might be able to help you out...including refrigeration, boilers, swimming pool heaters, etc.
Thanks a lot folks!
post #8 of 8 Old 04-05-2014, 01:55 PM
jm708
2014 JK Wrangler 

I guess I assumed you were using the amp for a sub. And with a 4 gauge power wire I would still assume this is true. If you are running an amp for the dash and sound bar speakers. I would agree to use proper gauge speaker wire to handle the power from the amp to the speakers in the dash and sound bar (16-18g). But if you are replacing the head unit. I used the stock dash and sound bar wire. Works great. I also ran the power wire along the passenger side under the plastic panels and the remote and RCA down the middle of the jeep. No interference noises or issues. Be careful on some of the install videos on youtube, Some folks tore the entire dash apart, including taking out the passenger side airbag, to replace the dash speakers. I found that it wasn't necessary. Scary? Yes! but I didn't break anything and it was in done in a garage that was about -10 below. Besides my old CJ it was probably one of the easier installs I've done. Good luck.

Tags
audio components , speakers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in