Catback Exhaust Suggestions - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By cranbiz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-12-2019, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
mpd2434
2011 JK Wrangler 

Catback Exhaust Suggestions

It's time to replace my muffler but the pipe leading to my cat has seen better days so looking to get a full catback. I really wanted to get a kit that has the muffler where the resonator is on the newer JK's for better clearance in the rear. I can't seem to find a system that's not overly loud. I would like it to sound as close to stock as possible or slightly louder. At my age I'm not into the loud or droning mufflers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 12:59 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I just installed a Pypes Performance high ground clearance catback system.

They have 2 choices, the SJJ21R has a smaller muffler where the resonator is and it's definitely a more aggressive sound. The SJJ21S has a larger muffler but it does require relocating the evap canister.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
mpd2434
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, I may have to go with a standard catback with the muffler in the rear then. I don't want to get into moving anything. Any thoughts on the Banks Monster catback? I had a Banks on my 2004 Rubicon and it wasn't loud at all. Different jeep and different motor though. It's reasonable priced to at $318.00.

post #4 of 8 Old 10-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

An economical solution that replicates stock fit, routing, and sound is Walker which is sold at retail auto parts stores such as O’Reilly’s and Autozone. It’s not a kit, but you buy the pieces you need.

For what you are wanting to achieve, I think you would do well by going to a custom exhaust shop that bends pipes etc.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-16-2019, 04:31 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Have you noticed any drone or resonance? I'm technically an authorized Pypes dealer but I've been hesitant to recommend their JK exhausts because I always am concerned about annoying drone & resonance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
I just installed a Pypes Performance high ground clearance catback system.

They have 2 choices, the SJJ21R has a smaller muffler where the resonator is and it's definitely a more aggressive sound. The SJJ21S has a larger muffler but it does require relocating the evap canister.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-16-2019, 04:32 AM
Kolak
Vendor

Is your JK an Unlimited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd2434 View Post
Thanks, I may have to go with a standard catback with the muffler in the rear then. I don't want to get into moving anything. Any thoughts on the Banks Monster catback? I had a Banks on my 2004 Rubicon and it wasn't loud at all. Different jeep and different motor though. It's reasonable priced to at $318.00.

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #7 of 8 Old 10-16-2019, 08:53 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
Have you noticed any drone or resonance? I'm technically an authorized Pypes dealer but I've been hesitant to recommend their JK exhausts because I always am concerned about annoying drone & resonance.
I'll know better this weekend as I'll be driving to go wheeling. It is definitely a more aggressive sound, but I haven't run it for more than about 5 minutes to this point.

Full disclosure: I won this in a forum giveaway. However, if it has things I don't like, I'll say so. So far, it installed fairly quickly and came with all the required hardware. It appears to be of quality components. The 2 Dr will need to cut the mid pipe to fit, there is ample length to the pipe, even for a 4 Dr. The instructions were decent, the U Tube videos are good to see what you actually need to do.

It does offer a lot more ground clearance. My guess is, if you want a much quieter exhaust, you need to stay stock or relocate the evap canister so you can use the Pypes kit with the larger muffler (SJJ21S).

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #8 of 8 Old 10-21-2019, 03:08 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok, I drove about 600 miles this weekend to go wheeling. There were plenty of longer grade climbs.

This exhaust does a couple of things. It does help the jeep breathe better. I actually got about 1 MPG more on this trip. I also didn't hit it once on anything.

The cons were it's louder than most cat backs out there. When downshifting to go up a mountain incline, the noise level was proportionally louder.

If you have a daily driver, the SJJ21R is probably not the exhaust for you, go with the SJJ21S.
Kolak likes this.

06 KJ
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in