Cargo carrier options - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-05-2021, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
cpajeeper

Cargo carrier options

Hey guys - great to be back - i had/(still have but don't drive it and it needs work) a TJ, but now I bought a 2017 JKU.

It came with the oversized tire carrier and reinforced hinges straight from the factory.

I bought the Bestop over the tire cargo rack in April. Finally had time to put it on and the heavy duty hinge is interfering with where I would need to put the bracket.

So questions:
1) Has anyone successfully worked around this issue?
2) If I put a 'spacer' there that is an inch thick - how much less weight can I put on the rack without risking tailgate integrity? (it's been 25 years since physics, but know that further from tailgate has consequences)
3) Failing the answers to 1&2, what have others done? I saw quadratec had a few other options but I can't see the Warrior Adventure being mounted on anyone's rig - it's just pictures of the rack. There's another one that is just crazy bulky - and I want to be able to pull most of it off when not in use. I don't want it on for daily travel.

Going to OBX in September so I've got some time to figure out - I already have a hitch rack, so the over the tire rack was going to come in handy. I'd get a roof rack, but i'm pulling hard top for summer. Further - we don't do too many excursions yet - so getting the full on cages over top of the soft top doesn't make sense from a cost/benefit perspective. (However, we could be swayed)

Thoughts from someone that may have gone through this before would be great!

Thanks guys!

-Derek

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-06-2021, 01:25 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Post pictures of your tire carrier and hinges. I don’t recall a heavy duty option available from the factory, which leads me to believe what you have is aftermarket.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-06-2021, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
cpajeeper

Here's the pic -

I've also attached the "Window Sticker" from the dealer where I bought it. I didn't buy it new, but it has the hinge, etc. listed as an option (the last two before the delivery charge). I suppose it could be inaccurate.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
My JKU Tailgate.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jeep Window sticker.pdf (38.8 KB, 6 views)

post #4 of 7 Old 06-07-2021, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
cpajeeper

So it appears - in doing further research last evening - that the factory reinforced swing gate hinge is a Teraflex hinge. I had no idea.

Might have to grab the teraflex alta rack. But that's way beefier than what I'm looking for. Hmmm.

Anyone have any experience with that?
post #5 of 7 Old 06-08-2021, 04:54 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Considering its not factory and its Tera flex designed. I would suspect any add on would be tera built if you want "bolt" on. Could get a "other brand of exogate. Though anything less cost will be China and far from what you get from Tera i am sure. Might be wort to just pony up for the beef that fits.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-09-2021, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
cpajeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Considering its not factory and its Tera flex designed. I would suspect any add on would be tera built if you want "bolt" on. Could get a "other brand of exogate. Though anything less cost will be China and far from what you get from Tera i am sure. Might be wort to just pony up for the beef that fits.
I hear you, 100%. I am just thinking I'll be using this thing only a couple times per year, max. Which makes >$900 a tougher pill than $250. And for all the beefiness - it's not like the Teraflex can hold 150 lbs. It's still only rated at 75. Perhaps they are more conservative in their estimate. If it was >$900 and you could load it up with 200 lbs, then the additional beef and such seems warranted.

And for the price, then maybe I should start looking at rooftop racks - I don't like Rugged Ridge, but their Sherpa looks nice where you can lift it up to put a soft top down.

There's just no easy way. Stinks.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-10-2021, 09:27 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
when i did my JKR many years ago went with a JCR bumper /swing. think it was around 1400 Over 9 years of use and some changes i made to have a 70q icechest and larger Roto pax that is some what inboard when the swing is closed and set for say 6+ days on a trail. we run hard trails that you have to pack a lot of stuff. Like Dusy Ershem and others. My swing loaded for those trails is right near 250+pounds. the arm is 90 pounds alone. toss on 35/37 two cans of fuel Ice chest, huge haul bag for trash. when its that heavy care opening it can pull you right off your feet. so it has a lanyard as well.

Most time i dont even have a swing. they get in the way. change a jeeps balance a lot. Swing comes off with one spindle nut and bearings, simple and its gone. Until next trail where its a need.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in