A/C help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-22-2021, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
LaBarr

A/C Help please!

Hello,

I have a 2012 Jeep Wrangler with major A/C issues.

I replaced the Condenser and the entire HVAC line less than 2years ago because the tiny, plastic bracket at the very front (driver's side) broke, so the line fell and rubbed against the condenser creating holes in both.
That was very very pricy.

In late Dec 2020, I had to replace the compressor. According to my mechanic (whom I trust), there was no Jeep brand compressors available, so he put in a Murray (?sp) which is supposed to be compatible.
This was also very costly.

About 2 weeks ago, the A/C stopped working again. My mechanic said that the compressor was bad again, and replaced it. Since it was still under warranty, it was replaced with another Murray and I was only charged for labor.

Welp, A/C is out again. About a day before it went out completely, I noticed that the driver's side vents were blowing hot air, while the two passenger vents were blowing cold. It was so weird because in the center console the vents are so close together, but one was blowing hot and the other cold.
Anyway, my mechanic said that the compressor went out again. In his words "it completely tore apart."
He again called Jeep looking for a compressor and was told that they don't have any available...anywhere..... so, another one is being put in today.
Also, the "sealers" for Jeep are on infinite back order, so he had to order a $150 part I don't even need just to get the right sealers!

Three compressors in seven months!
Does this sound right?
Could it possibly be something else that is causing this to happen?
I don't know if my mechanic is going to put in another Murray, so I may be looking at paying full price for a new (non Jeep) compressor again.
I really really don't want to have to pay for a fifth!

Any advice?
I'm in Texas and It's HOT HOT HOT!
Having a non-working AC isn't really an option for us, but it's seriously starting to strain our finances.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-22-2021, 03:17 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to question your trust in your mechanic. He should not charge you labor on a warranty job, no reputable shop would. That's the whole point of being under warranty. The parts supplier HE chose would (should) be paying him through their warranty system. Problem is, parts suppliers don't pay full retail price, so he's coming after you to make it up. Probably double dipping and getting paid by both of you. Pretty crappy way to treat a customer in my book.

If the A/C is blowing cold on one side and not the other, it's not the compressor. Otherwise, it would be hot on both sides. If cold air is coming out anywhere, the compressor is working. And if the compressor "completely tore apart", you would absolutely hear horrible noises coming from the engine compartment.

The problem with different temps coming out different vents would be with one of the blend door actuators in the ductwork under the dash. This is a common issue, especially on models with the fancy auto climate control systems. Nothing anywhere near the compressor.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 4 Old 07-16-2021, 11:25 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

So what did this ace mechanic ever figure out...I mean besides how to screw his customers?

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 4 Old 07-17-2021, 07:22 AM
V8GCZJ

The OP hasn't been here since: Last Activity: 06-22-2021 Another one that posts questions/concerns and you never see them again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in