Broken Axle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-27-2011, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
richnev

2014 JK Wrangler 

Broken Axle

Soo a week before I left for Afghanistan I broke the axle of my Jeep, I am thinking of just swapping the whole front end out for a 44 any ideas, suggestions or comments on what brand to buy and or to stay away from

05 Jeep Wrangler X .... RIP
07 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X ...... let the build begin

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge2 View Post
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by her94yj View Post
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Ben_88Jeep
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you are going to invest in a new front end, go with a ProRock 44 and don't look back.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-27-2011, 06:55 AM
SADISTIC

2011 JK Wrangler 

what kind of wheeling do you do and do you plan on going bigger than the 35's in your profile? answering those two questions could possibly lead you down the 60 road. where as a 60 might be a little more up front imagine the difference if you buy a 44 now and decide to buy a 60 later. If you decide to go the 44 route there are sometimes great deals to be found on the JK 44's and I have seen a few articles in the magazines on making them the "ultimate" JK 44.
Just some ideas.
Thank you for your service!

post #4 of 19 Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 AM
McKBrew

JK Wrangler 

Did you break the axle shaft or the housing (like I did).

In my opinion getting an aftermarket axle is the way to go and I wish I would have just went that route. If you end up getting a stock axle again (even an OEM Dana 44) consider sleeves and gussets to beef it up.
post #5 of 19 Old 07-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Charles
2017 WK 

Pro Rock 44 with RCV.

http://dynatrac.com/products/jk/pro-rock44.html

After that deployment you should have plenty of dough.

2017 TrailHawk Hemi, Everything but the TV's.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
richnev

2014 JK Wrangler 

Basically I broke the u joint at the end of the axle that connects to the wheel, and by broke I mean sheared in half. I want to replace the whole front housing, basically I just want to buy a complete system if that is possible... now on the flip side I have a wife and kid and so I dont want to spend all my extra money lmao or should I say my wife's money

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
I just make a BOOP BEEP sound with my mouth (really loud) as I walk away from the jeep, and point the key at it.
Quote:
lets put it a way a kids will relate......its like a hooker.......... SURE a 15 dollar handy from a detroit toothless 60 year old can get it done....... but NO where is it as nice as the $5000 an hour goddess from vegas or hollywood

....... dont be that fat guy on the beach in the speedo you dont want to be "that guy"
post #7 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
richnev

2014 JK Wrangler 

I don't plan on going bigger than 35s, I might and it is a very small might go to 37s if I can sneak them past the wife hahah

ARMY TEAM MEMBER #4

Quote:
Quote:

post #8 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Charles
2017 WK 

The housing is the same on the 44 and the 30 all the way to the knuckles. The difference is the axle shafts and the splines inside the differential. Your best bet is to get 44 differential guts, RCV the shafts, and then gusset and maybe sleeve the shafts. It sounds like a lot but it will be much cheaper than buying a ProRock 44. IIRC, they are close to $6,000. What I just mentioned shouldn't cost more than $2,500.

The axle shaft breaking is very common especially with the U-Joints. Most of the time the bearing caps fall out and get bound up causing the ears to snap. It's happened to me twice. I have RCV shafts now and not only are they twice as strong, it drives smoother because they are constant velocity. RCV stands for Rzeppa Constant Velocity. You can see how they work with this picture and read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CV_joint. The RCV at 40 degrees broke at something like 6,430 ft pounds and it didn't break at the CV, the axle shaft twisted, the stock axle snapped at the u at like 3,500 ft pounds. Plus, there is a no questions asked warranty.

post #9 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 07:36 PM
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

What about a good set of chromoly shafts? You can get a package, including u-joints, for about $600.

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #10 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Charles
2017 WK 

If he's going to go that route then he may as well stay stock. The U-Joint is the problem, not the shaft.

post #11 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 07:46 PM
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

What about welding the u-joint caps? That's a pretty weak spot, right?

'13 JKU 10th Anniversary
post #12 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Charles
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by allibaster View Post
What about welding the u-joint caps? That's a pretty weak spot, right?
Absolutely. The guy sounded like was about to drop some coin on an entire new assembly. This suggestion was as good if not better. Plus, he'll be RCV'd.

post #13 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Cheapest would be to just buy some stock used shafts...tack welding the U joint ends on.. Next cheapest would be upgrading to chromo and use some full C clips to hold the U joints in place, or tack weld. Next best way would be to go with RCVs (love mine) and sleeve/truss the housing. After that is gets really expensive.
If you EVER want to go larger then 35s and have a locker up front then I would save up for a d44 or d60.
I dont think I would spend $1200 on RCVs for a open diff D30......
The half moon C clips they use on the stock u joints are just horrible. I bet that one just fell out and it bound up, its hard to actually break an axle with a open diff unless you really pound on it. I would try and find a used set. Had to drive around with a rag in the tube for atleast a few months before I decided what I would do, so its not something you need to rush to replace.

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 09:03 PM
McKBrew

JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
its hard to actually break an axle with a open diff unless you really pound on it.
Not always the case.
post #15 of 19 Old 07-28-2011, 09:08 PM
Charles
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
If you EVER want to go larger then 35s and have a locker up front then I would save up for a d44 or d60.
The housing is the same on the 30 and the 44 including the knuckles. The shafts and diff guts are what's different. That's why he should just get 44 RCV shafts and diff guts (ring and pinion, carrier, and locker) and keep on rolling. If he sleeves and gussets the housing he has now it will be almost as good as a 60 and he can do it all pretty cheap.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in