1Likes
  • 1 Post By 222Doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-20-2020, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
broke the axle track bar mount

Today was a fun day. Started out with 5 friends today on one of our harder trails called Hard a$$ Az4/4.5. Started out in the noob fliter and de-bead a rear tire. No big deal was simple repair( note 6 psi is to low here worked in sandhollow). made it past the gate keeper, then the second fall. But at that point after going over about a 5' rock on the driver side, very off camber very hard flex. I here a snap. First i thought i broke an axle or worse. got over that and there is some small boulders to get over and could not turn left and it was making a lot of noise up front. get to point its level and start looking with a few friends. i dry steer it. well the track bar mount on the axle sheared off. I have a bolt on one that uses all the factory points Plus the sway bar tab and it has a Ubolt as well. The factor bracket ripped away about 1/8 off the welds. Looks like metal fatigue? well not turning left is great if you are doing right hand turns in circles. tire would go both ways with no input at times. Lucky the u bolt was still holding and that sway tab was bent to heck and about ready to break off as well. So i always have my 2 - 2" heavy duty ratchet straps and did the old opposition strapping to hold the axle centered somewhat. Tighten the snot out of that one U bolt that was stretched out. The rest of the trail was rough with super loose steering that would at times would not turn left. then would but by its self at times. next fall has a hard left at the top. that aint going to work so got up the fall and winched to get left. limped out and on to my trailer. The drive out from that trail is like 10 miles of easy dirt roads. But the steering was like 1/2 turn off and very loose at 15mph the anti skid brake system was going ape *****. No DW lol well not at 15-20 mph.........

This why i tow on a trailer. even going up the trailer the wheels wanted to turn off it. I dont ramp it just crawl on to it.

Its in the our big Rv garage right now to beat to pull the front axle and strip it down. Have parts coming from Artic that are .25 thick stuff not that cheese 1/8 stuff they use and weld on. I use a raised front axle mount for the flip drag. That was made by AEV< its about the last part of that system on this heep. Its bent to heck too and is as well just 1/8 junk. So now the last AEV thing on this heep is the Nth degree springs that are about 4" lift on this heep. The artic stuff on line looks beefy at .25 and is the raised one for my 3" flip. Ill get some pics once i get the axle out and see more of the how and why. 8 years of hard trails might have something to do with it. at least it made it out.

fumbles likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-20-2020, 09:55 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Should have taken the Excursion

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-21-2020, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Should have taken the Excursion
yea the wife would shoot me......

well the steering stabilizer is bent too. looks like when that track mount rotated up and down and up and down it bent that too. Still have the factory on in the shop shop somewhere. its new kinda, never used but from 2012. will use it if i can find it.

post #4 of 6 Old 02-21-2020, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage

post #5 of 6 Old 02-25-2020, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
parts came in today from Artic Industries. makes the stock track bar mounts look like paper. Found the stock steering stabilizer in the bottom of one of the tool boxes. So that will replace the Blistien one that was bent from the track bar mounting going south. Parts from Synergy came in as well just replacement boots for the tie rod and drag link. The new ones are made of rubber instead of that silicon that tears so easy and they are only about 5$ for the rubber. those silicon ones were like $15 each. so its like 3 to 1, its a good thing when parts are less. Bought a new welding helmet mines old. like they new ones with the big window. helps as you get older and dont see as well as you used to.

post #6 of 6 Old 02-28-2020, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage

stock mount and Artic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in