Brake wear issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 01-14-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
wilgeno

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Brake wear issues

So I have managed to wear the OEM brake pads down to 2mm on the rear. Time for new pads. OR is it time to upgrade?

First off the brake pads are worn oddly. Read inside pads are down to 2mm and the rear outside pads are at 8mm. That seems odd to me that the inside pads are nearly gone yet the outside pads are still more than a 1/4" inch. The front pads are at 8mm as well. What's going wrong here?

So that is my first question.

So do I upgrade? I was looking for brake pads online and of course I found full kits with rotors and pads and other kits that included the calipers. I'm not familiar with the Powerstop brand, but I see them everywhere. I've searched the forums a bit but I have not found much if any information on them.

My JKU is 3" lifted with GoodYear Duratrac 315/70/17 tires. I know enough to know bigger tires may need bigger brakes.

TeraFlexed '13 Commando Green JKU Black Hardtop roll'n on 35's!

Bug-Out!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-14-2017, 05:25 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
The rear pads will wear more than the front and the inner pads will wear slightly more than the outers - with ABS, Anti-roll, stability and traction control all taking their "sip at the well" of brake pad consumption. lack of lube on the rails will add to the inner wear. Driven medium to aggressive - rears should last 20K or more and fronts should last 30K or more. No need to upgrade if you aren't under those #s.

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-14-2017, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
wilgeno

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop
The rear pads will wear more than the front and the inner pads will wear slightly more than the outers - with ABS, Anti-roll, stability and traction control all taking their "sip at the well" of brake pad consumption. lack of lube on the rails will add to the inner wear. Driven medium to aggressive - rears should last 20K or more and fronts should last 30K or more. No need to upgrade if you aren't under those #s.
Ok. I forgot to mention mileage. I have 36K miles on the Jeep. 2mm vs 8mm seems like more that "slightly" more worn. So are new pads good enough for now? I just need to do them before the last 2mm wears off. Its f'ing cold here in MN and I don't have heat in my garage. Brrrrrr. Busting knuckles is far more painful in the cold.

Bug-Out!

post #4 of 10 Old 01-14-2017, 09:27 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Turn rotors new pads... Call it done.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-14-2017, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
wilgeno

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Found this video. Very helpful.

Bug-Out!

post #6 of 10 Old 01-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Kevinholleman

With brakes it is always better safe than sorry! Upgrade is my favorite. I am hard on Jeep parts and I feel pretty much anything is better than the OEM junk that comes on these babys. If you are driving aggressive youll need to use a little more expensive pads. You dont need to spend $500 on pads though. I like Amazon reviews. Check out the 2 & 3 star reviews for a better idea of what not to buy
post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2017, 01:46 PM
Digger838
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilgeno
Ok. I forgot to mention mileage. I have 36K miles on the Jeep. 2mm vs 8mm seems like more that "slightly" more worn. So are new pads good enough for now? I just need to do them before the last 2mm wears off. Its f'ing cold here in MN and I don't have heat in my garage. Brrrrrr. Busting knuckles is far more painful in the cold.
So I just picked up a set of EBC yellow stuff rear pads as mine are getting down there I only have like 56k on the oem ones haha so I got the life out of them.

I was wondering what you ended up getting for pads?

At the moment my rotors are still nice and flat and no grooves or warpage so I'm just putting the pads on in anticipation of buying the teraflex big rotor kit this summer and then putting new front pads on to match.

Might want to check out that kit if your looking for better stopping power, the kit includes front and rear rotors and caliper brackets. So you still use the oem calipers
post #8 of 10 Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
wilgeno

2013 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Too cold to work

I ended up with "It's too damn cold to work in my garage!". I have bought the upgrade kit by PowerStop from 4Wheel Parts. They are doing 25% off on PowerStop stuff. For now the parts sit in my garage until such time as it warms up, or it becomes explicitly necessary to find a warm location to do the work. Or last resort have the garage down the street install them for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger838 View Post
So I just picked up a set of EBC yellow stuff rear pads as mine are getting down there I only have like 56k on the oem ones haha so I got the life out of them.

I was wondering what you ended up getting for pads?

At the moment my rotors are still nice and flat and no grooves or warpage so I'm just putting the pads on in anticipation of buying the teraflex big rotor kit this summer and then putting new front pads on to match.

Might want to check out that kit if your looking for better stopping power, the kit includes front and rear rotors and caliper brackets. So you still use the oem calipers

Bug-Out!

post #9 of 10 Old 02-08-2017, 12:19 PM
JakeTaylor7

I used a $200 ish complete Autospecialty brake kit from Amazon in the fall. 4 rotors and pads for a little more than $200.

Wasted my money. Even had 5 star rating on Amazon. Brakes whine so bad and coat my wheels in dust. Terrible.
post #10 of 10 Old 02-08-2017, 01:51 PM
bob6987
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have the dynatrac break kit, ate through the rears in 15k miles. this time i just went with cheapest o'reily breaks with a lifetime warranty (will swap them out for free as long there is some pad left).

1991 YJ, 4.0, 6" lift, 40" tires, full cage, dana44/ford 9, detroit locker, 5.38 gear
2012 JKU

Tags
brake pads , brakes , caliper , power stop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in