Brake Failure - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 10:40 AM Thread Starter
aki8166
2009 JK Wrangler 

Specifically what the dealership said was that the Master cylinder was not holding pressure. My second opinion mechanic told me that that was not the symptoms of the master cylinder not holding pressure. If that was the case then the brake pedal will gradually sink when the brakes are applied. Then there's the condition with air in the lines that can cause a soft or spongy pedal

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 10:41 AM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki8166 View Post
What do you mean by the hand brake not working is not related to the ABS? Does that mean there is a separate issue with the hand brake?
The hand brake has actually nothing to do whatsoever with the brake system of the jeep, short of sharing the rear rotor. The jeep has rear hydraulic disc brakes, but the parking brakes are mechanically operated drum brakes.
post #18 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
aki8166
2009 JK Wrangler 

Great!

post #19 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 02:20 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVK View Post
I have an 09 wrangler X and I was just driving down the road, went to stop, and the pedal went right to the floor. I pumped it several times to no avail. Thankfully, there was no oncoming traffic and I parked it. I went into the store, came out and when we fired it back up they worked fine. No fluid leaking anywhere. I have 90,000 miles and have had the fluid replaced a year ago. Any fast clues would be appreciated.
Hey KVK,

I am sorry to hear about your recent experience with your Wrangler. Have you checked to see if your vehicle has any open recalls? If not you may do so by using this link: http://recalls.mopar.com/.
post #20 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 03:15 PM
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What do you mean by the hand brake not working is not related to the ABS? Does that mean there is a separate issue with the hand brake?

By the way, I was advised to disable the ABS by pulling out the fuse
I wanted to try that this weekend
The hand brake is designed to keep the vehicle in place when parked.
It doesn't have enough braking force to bring the vehicle to a quick stop. It's better than not pulling the lever, though, if that's all you have.

2008 JKU Rubicon
42RLE Auto
post #21 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
aki8166
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KVK View Post
I have an 09 wrangler X and I was just driving down the road, went to stop, and the pedal went right to the floor. I pumped it several times to no avail. Thankfully, there was no oncoming traffic and I parked it. I went into the store, came out and when we fired it back up they worked fine. No fluid leaking anywhere. I have 90,000 miles and have had the fluid replaced a year ago. Any fast clues would be appreciated.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/a...oblem-1061182/
This thread talk about the pedal going all the way down
I searched JK brake failure on here
post #22 of 25 Old 02-03-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
aki8166
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
The hand brake is designed to keep the vehicle in place when parked.
It doesn't have enough braking force to bring the vehicle to a quick stop. It's better than not pulling the lever, though, if that's all you have.
I did not know that, you just taught me something today. I figured "emergency brake" was for emergencies. Anyway, can I ask for your opinion about the fuse? Do you think I should?
Luckily the Jeep is not currently my daily driver, if anything I'll just off road it without the ABS
It did it to me again where the brake does not go down and it did not stop. All lights on my dashboard were off. After a few hits it went normally down and stopped my Jeep. After that the ABS and ESP lights came on and my Jeep worked perfectly fine.
So I am shooting to just disable the ABS until I can come up with a few hundred to take it back to a place called "brake Masters"
They will be my last resort
post #23 of 25 Old 03-29-2016, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
aki8166
2009 JK Wrangler 

Okay update on my jeep, I took out one of the ABS fuses and disabled it. I been using it for about a month now without any ABS. I have taken precautions of course; I brake sooner than I have to and I never stay close to any other vehicle. Just in case I do need to brake sooner I lower my gears to help me. It works 100% looks like the dealership was full of ****. To the best of my knowledge it is the ABS Modulator. I don't plan to use it as my daily driver for ever so I am not gonna fix it. Thanks everyone for your replies
post #24 of 25 Old 03-29-2016, 02:08 PM
arbakken
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I did not know that, you just taught me something today. I figured "emergency brake" was for emergencies.
In my opinion, the brakes going out definitely constitutes an emergency!
post #25 of 25 Old 03-29-2016, 03:38 PM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbakken View Post
In my opinion, the brakes going out definitely constitutes an emergency!
Only if you use brakes to begin with...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
brakes , fail , jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in