Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Brake/Caliper work covered under warranty??

23K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  nismosis 
#1 ·
'08 Sahara, 30, 000 kilo's. Lifted 4inches about two years ago.

I came home the other day and noticed a very strong burning smell. I believe the driver side rear caliper has siezed or is siezing. The wheel itself was too hot to touch!! Upon further, wheel on, inspection I am noticing that the pads, and rotor look horrible as well as the caliper. I assume this is because the caliper failed which lead to the others failing. The front brake set-ups look brand new. I dont get it. The other side rear looks bad as well but no problems so far.

Will warranty cover these faulty calipers? And replace my pads and rotors because it screwed them up?
Anybody else have this issue? Thanks, any help would be great. My warranty is up at the end of the month, yikes.:cheers2:

#5 ·
well, my 08's 3/36 is up, but we have lifetime powertrain! unless u got it used.. anyway, reg 3/36 should cover it, and after that, ven the powertrain should cover it, but... you say it is lifted, so i assume there are larger tires under there... they could make the argument that the heavier weight of he suspension/tires/rotationsl mass of tires/wheels did the damage, and not covr any of it...

do some resarch, and prepare for the worst, but hope for he best. Any or all of the above options also depend n the dealer. there are "wheeler-friendly" who inerpret the warranty info pretty liberally and there are anal sob's who won't touch a modded vehicle, eveen if it is just a bobble-head on the dash

Do your homework first

#6 ·
well, my 08's 3/36 is up, but we have lifetime powertrain! unless u got it used.. anyway, reg 3/36 should cover it, and after that, ven the powertrain should cover it, but... you say it is lifted, so i assume there are larger tires under there... they could make the argument that the heavier weight of he suspension/tires/rotationsl mass of tires/wheels did the damage, and not covr any of it...

do some resarch, and prepare for the worst, but hope for he best. Any or all of the above options also depend n the dealer. there are "wheeler-friendly" who inerpret the warranty info pretty liberally and there are anal sob's who won't touch a modded vehicle, eveen if it is just a bobble-head on the dash

Do your homework first
Can you copy/paste something from the warranty book that says brake calipers are covered by the lifetime powertrain warranty?
I believe brake components are the opposite of powertrain components.

#11 ·
It may not be "just the caliper" - you may have an issue with abs, tc, esp etc keeping that corner dragging. I have had some dealers warranty rotors - but never pads.

#13 ·
I will have to look through the lifetime warranty's book. It is my understanding that powertrain includes engine, tranny, axles, and everything on those components that makes it efficient or safe, excepting wear items (prolly the pads) and modifications to the above listed components. I read somewhere that even tho dealers try to not disclose this, these warranties can appy to things like sparkplugs, egr valves, and some other stuff, also have to do some research, but there are federally mandated warranties of emissions equip for like 8 or 10 years, which does include some oddball stuff, and dealers HATE that stuff,but most ppl dont know about it

you'd be surprised with a little research how much is/could be covered under powertain or emissions

#14 ·
you'd be surprised with a little research how much is/could be covered under powertain or emissions
I agree 100%. I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject. That's why I asked if you could post some documentation about the calipers being covered by the lifetime warranty, in case I missed something.

The EGR valve isn't covered all that well, either.

#21 ·
nismosis said:
I think something is going on with the e-brake...I cannot get the rotor off no matter what i do.. it moves, and wiggles, but something with the ebrake seems to holding it on... any ideas how to get it off?
There are tension adjusters inside the rotors. They have to be loosened before it will come off. There is a little slot on the dust shield that provides access to them. I'm sure there is a tool for this job but I did not have one; so I had to bend the dust shields to make the adjuster visible and tap it with a hammer and screw driver.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.