Blisters on hard top - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-22-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

Blisters on hard top

At th beginning of the summer I noticed blisters forming on my hard top. They are on the sides near the roof line, most above the rear door and rear side windows. I can press them and there is nothing underneath ex let air between the blister and the solid surface of the top. I have the regular black textured factory three piece hard top.

Today I noticed one of the blisters popped and peeled off, exposing a finger nail sized white section of the hard top underneath. Itís almost like the top has a thick textured vinyl wrap instead of something like a rough painted fiberglass like what I had on older Jeeps.

Has anyone experienced this? What did you do about it? At first I saw the blisters, and while I was concerned it didnít bother me too much, but now that it is going to start peaking exposing smooth white underneath I am bothered by it a lot.

My top does not leak, does not have any scratches or damage other than these blisters. I think I have taken the freedom panels off three times and the rear section has never been off.

It is a 2014 JKU Sahara with the factory black three piece hard top. No roof rack or anything attached to the top.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-22-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I just parked next to a JKU sport at a restaurant. It had a whole bunch of blisters and a whole bunch of white showing where it pealed off.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-22-2019, 01:21 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Modern automotive paint sucks. It's water based and in general fades, blisters and peels far earlier than it should. Worse the more sun it gets.
Not much you can do but to repaint it or live with it.
Damn, I miss those beautiful lead based enamels we used to be able to get. Those paint jobs lasted forever.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion

post #4 of 5 Old 10-26-2019, 11:47 AM
DVR
2004 TJ Wrangler 

you can use a syringe to inject the adhesive of your choice, find a way to keep pressure on to release air and allow product to cure.
I've seen it done and it worked. The spots were about the size of a half dollar.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Brazos609
2012 JK Wrangler 

One of my three 2012s had them bad. Just like any bad paint job, they will get worse.

2012 4dr RUBICON UNLIMITED
2012 2dr SPORT
2005 2dr UNLIMITED gone
1997 2dr gone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in