Bestop Flexatrunk Vs Tuffy Security Deck - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
SpikesterUK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Bestop Flexatrunk Vs Tuffy Security Deck

So I've been looking at both security trunk products & can't decide which one I should get.
I work out of my Jeep during the day & have to carry two crates of Government files, portable printer, PDA etc around with me.
And with the weather getting nice & hot here in north Florida, I've taken the hardtop off & put the soft top on, so want to be able to have some protection for my work files.

I wanted to hear from anybody who has either of the security trunks, & what they like & dislike about it.

I like the look of the Tuffy one, as the whole thing hinges up, (does it stay up like in the pictures? or do you have to hold it up ?) it already has the cutout for the factory sub woofer, & it has the two small side storage nooks on either side. And the top can be easily be pulled out, if you don't want to use it.

173-01 - Tuffy Security Products JK Security Deck Enclosure for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

I really like the look of the Bestop one, as the top slides back & can be pushed back, to expose the whole rear area. It looks like it colapses down pretty easily, when you don't need to use it, but the panels are all right there when you do. I don't like the idea of having to cut out the metal where the subwoofer part is though (Anybody cut theirs? do you need a jigsaw like suggested in the intructions?)

Bestop 42635-01 - Bestop® Flexatrunk™ for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec

Any suggestions as to which one I should get?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 05:12 PM
duker51

I asked about both of these a while back. I haven't made my purchase yet either.

The response(s) I got were if you really want to secure your gear then the tuffy is the only option. From what I'm told, the Bestop is not that hard to bend and would not really hold up if a thief really wanted to get in. Also, I don't believe the Bestop is lockable, or the lock it has is not that tough.

I really need a secure deck for my stuff, so I'm probably going to go with the Tuffy.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Duker
post #3 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 06:16 PM
CDNJKRubicon
2012 JK Wrangler 

Both these systems "lock" the same way, by having the rear tailgate locked. Without locking the tailgate your stuff is only out of sight, so if you're one of those guys who doesn't like to lock their Jeep in the summer with the top down then neither option will help. That being said, the previous comment about the Bestop system is bang on (I have the Bestop system), it's a good way of keeping prying eyes/hands out of your stuff but if you really need to secure things away back there then Tuffy is the way to go.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 06:26 PM
1726jk
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the tuffy, no hinges. With the tailgate open, the lid slides out then up which is cumbersome. The tuffy is a solid product, I put eye hooks on each corner for tie downs. You could also use the eye hook and bungee to hold the lid up if needed.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Rob_P

2011 JK Wrangler 

I have had the Bestop for 3 years with no problems. Installation was easy, the biggest issue for me was having to drill into the tub to secure it on one side (as per the instructions) but it wasn't a big deal.

As per the comments above this wouldn't keep a determined thief out, ie if someone used a bar/pole they could pry their way in, but the casual/opportunistic sticky fingered individual should move right on by.
post #6 of 15 Old 04-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Liquor
BOUNTY HUNTER

2008 XK Commander 

got the tuffy and have been behind it since. its sweet. everything is secure, wont bounce around the cabin. easy to remove if needed (cant think of a reason to remove it). i have no issues keeping the tailgate locked (dont understand why people are unable to lock it). strong, i have put a lot of weight on it. while dynamatting it i was sitting on it and using a roller to flatten the mat out. access panel behind the rear seat is easy to remove, i have my sub's amp and caps there, made for quick adjustments.

2007 Unlimited Sahara Steel Blue - I call it "CAIN"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 TJ Sport - Sold

"CAIN" • '07 Jeep JK • 426 HEMI 685 HP & 650 ft lbs

• Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:

Magazine Feature:

post #7 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 AM
phantomandy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry to resurrect this thread - but I was wondering about removal of the Tuffy (or Bestop). Can these products be removed quickly and easily and the rear seat added back in (on a 2 Door)?
post #8 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 08:08 AM
BestopTeam

2010 JK Wrangler 

The Flexatrunk uses these little threaded inserts that go into four places on your tub. The inserts are "permanent." Then, a bolt goes thru the trunk into the inserts. It's just a few minutes to remove those bolts. But it's large and a bit awkward, so I personally would think it's something you'd only want to remove occasionally, not super frequently.

Do not know the details on Tuffy's, but they make smart products.
post #9 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 10:21 AM
yellow08jk
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've been looking at the Tuffy. But I use the rear cargo area and drop the back seat every so ofter. How easy/hard is it to take out on the fly?? Can the lid and the back portion (the once against the rear seats) be taken out easily while leaving the sides in?

08 Det Yellow 4 Door some mods, more on the way.... sponsor welcome, I'm broke from my last mods !!!
I'll be at the 2nd Annual Texas Size Jeep Meet on March 28 & 29th, 2009

post #10 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 10:49 AM
jsebastian
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'm also interested in the Tuffy. Does anyone know if it will fit with the Bestop Trektop? The Trektop has a bar for the rear window that runs right over the swing gate. It looks like that bar and the edge of the Tuffy lid want to be in the same place...

John

http://www.fuelly.com/driver/jsebastian/wrangler
post #11 of 15 Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 PM
04 RUBI
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had a bestop in my 2dr and thought it was garbage and brought it back. Now have tuffy in 4dr and love it. It will fit with my trektop but is a little tight. Nothing is perfect but my observations are limited to one in a 2dr and one in a 4dr.

Bestop-a flat head screwdriver will knock it out like a crowbar. Even if you have rear seat in, you have rails blocking your already limited arm space. Never had it in a 4dr but thought the modularity in it would be great. The reason I didn't get for 4dr is for lack of strength.

Tuffy- Solid as hell but seals suck. Is not advertised as and is not weather proof. It would have problems with people without sub due to gaping hole. Also 2dr owners would have a decent amount of time spent to remove it to reinstall rear seat.

No the tuffy does not stay open as the removable lid design will not allow this.
In my opinion, if you have a 4dr or a 2dr that doesn't often need a rear seat, Tuffy is the right choice.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-30-2010, 04:32 PM
Hokie06
2008 JK Wrangler 

I know that you were asking about the deck enclosure, but I thought I would throw my two cents about the Tuffy locking drawer as another option. It costs more, but for me, the security is worth it. It is like having a gun safe in the back of your Jeep. I live in a downtown area and have my soft-top in a parking garage. I leave it unlocked and throw anything of value in the locking drawer...even though people have been in my jeep, they never got into the drawer.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-30-2010, 08:15 PM
bucknoff

1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have the exact same tuffy box for the "trunk" and a tuffy glove box. Love them!
The trunk box may be my favorite mod. I love being able to leave the doors unlocked and secure my goods in the rear.

[]llllll[] "THE ROCK HOPPER" * 95YJ * Going Green!!!

Newest addition: 09 JK UNLIMITED OIIIIIIO
Proud member of JEEPAHOLICS ANONYMOUS
post #14 of 15 Old 08-03-2011, 06:57 PM
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie06 View Post
I know that you were asking about the deck enclosure, but I thought I would throw my two cents about the Tuffy locking drawer as another option. It costs more, but for me, the security is worth it. It is like having a gun safe in the back of your Jeep.
pics?
post #15 of 15 Old 08-03-2011, 07:22 PM
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt4me View Post
pics?
The Tuffy website has pics of all their products.

Tags
bestop flexatrunk , deck closures , JK Wrangler , review , tuffy security deck , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in