Best Setup for Snow - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By fawndog
  • 1 Post By wildbill23c

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-30-2020, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
treillw

Best Setup for Snow

What is the best vehicle setup for snow? I currently have an 04 Grand Cherokee and a 07 Chevy Silverado. The GC works well most of the time, but it's kind of on it's last leg and I'm sure there are better off road vehicles out there.

I live in Montana and do a lot of driving around on forest service roads that can be very rough. There are some roads I've come across that are impassible to me when they are dry, but almost every road is impassible when you start adding a good bit of snow. What is the best way to get through it? Chaining up all four tires gets you the biggest advantage. Then the snow starts getting under the frame and the chains don't matter anymore. I guess getting bigger tires would give you more snow clearance. Any other ideas? A lot of the roads are technical with rocks and washouts; adding snow just makes it worse.

I really like the 4 door wranglers and am considering getting one. I like the rubicons for their locking axles - seems like every time I get stuck I'm sitting there with one tire spinning like crazy. Do locking axles help you in the snow, or is this the total wrong application for them? I would think it would help and probably matters more than for typical use on dry trails, but I'm not certain.

How are the 4 door wranglers with loading kids into car seats?

Any other vehicles worth considering?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-30-2020, 11:35 PM
fawndog

1997 ZJ 

Learning how to drive your truck is the biggest thing (Not trying to offend).
No amount of lift and lockers will erase a bad line selection.
Weight is not your friend, airing down is.

I do like lockers, but the use of the parking brake can induce your rear to spin both wheels for a quick get out (practice it to get a feel for it).
Lockers aren't great in hard snow or ice, for this reason I chose a Truetrac for the rear. in my heavy 4x4.
You need the wheels to differentiate on the slick stuff or you're likely going to end up sideways.
Learn not to stop, or hang up if possible momentum is a good tool.
Another good one is flotation, don't stop and dig in with the skinny pedal, keep progress with momentum.

This all is so much easier with lighter trucks.

PS, This is from my own experience wheeling in the Sierras, take it for what it is.
wildbill23c likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2020, 07:47 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
air down a lot. No one uses chains on rubicon in the winter. locked unless the trails is off camber. then use the traction control. As well be careful I know on Jks chains dont fit well. Not enough back space and not enough space at stuff.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2020, 09:06 AM
FastCarGuy11
2015 JK Wrangler 

I grew up in Montana as well. Used to high center my 4x4 Blazer at the time as well! A lift helped...until I hit an even deeper snow drift! Lockers also help until you high center...then all 4 wheels spin. Best overall solution was to move to Arizona desert
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2020, 09:18 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
AZ has snow too...But we run rubicon almost every year in June its spring snow and last year those snow tank traps were over 5' tall. belly height/break over is important. I grew up in Lake tahoe my self. I live in AZ, we have some of the best wheeling there is out here, thousands of miles of trails. Best of that is right near me too. west side of AZ is a total play ground. for now as its a hard fight to keep them open too.

winter wheeling you need a winch. extra line. again air down in the single digits.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2020, 09:34 AM
ppine

Garage
I used to live in Colorado and Wyoming and drove in the snow all the time. I had a '74 Wagoneer with a 360 and a 4 speed. I put tall narrow tires on it with the little spikes on them. They are legal for about 7 months a year. The truck did really well. I always carried two sets of chains but rarely used them. The roads get closed by the time you need chains and 4wd.

I used to go skiing at places like Aspen when I lived in Laramie. We would come home late Sunday night in the winter. The short cut was about 40 miles across a National Forest. Even in the dead of winter at midnight when the temperatures were well below zero and I used to make that drive with a high level of confidence. I will never forget coming around a corner in the dark and seeing a large herd of elk standing in the road, blinded by my headlights and searchlights, blowing steam 3 feet out of their nostrils in the frozen Colorado air.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-31-2020, 09:37 AM
wildbill23c
1998 ZJ 

A good set of tires, and driving skills will get you through a lot of nasty stuff. Knowing the capability of your vehicle is an absolute must, being able to listen to the vehicle as you are driving it and learning the normal noises and the noises it makes when you are over-working it.

I took my 96 ZJ through some pretty nasty stuff, places I don't think many other similar SUV's would have gone without a large struggle or without getting stuck...I was surprised what that ZJ was capable of completely stock with a good sett of all terrain tires. The quadra-trac 4WD system worked great too, surprising how well that system worked.
ppine likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in