"Best" JK Radio Replacement? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 10-04-2019, 06:17 AM Thread Starter
Tgrichards

"Best" JK Radio Replacement?

OK, so my new to me 2015 came with an installed Alpine that I find very frustrating to use. And, it has neither Sirius/XM nor Apple Car Play not the ability to add rear or front cameras. I don't need/want NAV, as I use my iPhone for Waze/GoogleMaps/Maps, etc.

So I'm looking for a replacement and would enjoy everyone's input, suggestions, ideas and experience.

What do you have in your JK that you're really happy with?

Thanks!
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-04-2019, 10:26 AM
MrNasty69

I have a Kenwood 9903s and I like it. Had the touchscreen stock radio before and this Kenwood is much cleaner sounding and louder. Has a built in crossover and HDMI, plus it can hook to obd and read cel's and has ability to display gauges. I did end up hooking up an amp also as I changed all speakers to the Kickers.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-05-2019, 12:42 PM
jfondren3

2015 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I installed the Alpine ILX-W650 and I love it. It's not expensive at all but has the features that you want.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Air Force Jeep Club #131

post #4 of 10 Old 10-07-2019, 04:46 AM
rja1766

I replaced my 2015 factory unit with a higher end Kenwood car play/android unit. Did. It replace the Alpine speakers.
I used the Maestro RR module to retain steering wheel controls, add OBDII connection, factory amp and subwoofer.
Iím pleased with the sound quality, especially at higher volumes. Also used an adaptor to retain the factory satellite antennae.
Only non retained factory component was the unconnected mic. His the mic behind the dash panel lower right of steering column. Been installed for nearly 2 years. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 Old 10-07-2019, 06:23 AM
mpd2434
2011 JK Wrangler 

Pioneer 4500nex or 8500nex. Both have wireless Carplay and Android Auto so no plugging in to use them. If you need built in navigation the 8500nex is the one to get. If you use Google Nav. through Carplay save the money and get the 4500nex
post #6 of 10 Old 10-09-2019, 07:41 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I had a Pioneer NEX and liked it but found the ribbon cable in the faceplace would get intermittent if you see a lot of dust. I swapped it out for a Chinese 10.1 android HU and have been very happy. I went with the Seicane but the Desalita is another good choice if you like the versatility of an Android HU. The Chinese units come with the CANBUS interface so you can integrate it into the vehicle.

In my setup, I have 3 front facing cameras and a backup camera, have several trail mapping apps, waze, google maps, a media player, radio plus email, SMS, etc. It won't do Sirius without the separate tuner or a wifi connection but wifi can be done thru an aircard type dongle or using a hotspot.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 10 Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 PM
mpd2434
2011 JK Wrangler 

I've had the 8000nex, 8200nex and now the 4400nex and all in Wranglers. All of them have been very reliable for me. That sucks about the ribbon cable in yours.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 04:46 AM
Adams77
1956 CJ5 

I have a '09 X stock. My radio does not have Bluetooth. Is there a factory plug and play swap to gain Bluetooth?
post #9 of 10 Old 10-11-2019, 08:25 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

The UConnect module, which supplies the Bluetooth function, is located behind the dash under the HVAC controls. It is available separately. However, you would be better off picking up a BT enabled aftermarket radio. IMHO, the factory UConnect system sucks.

I never had it in my JK but have it in my WK2 and it's a PITA to use, even worse when it attempts to update the software. It has too many restrictions and it can't even understand simple english.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #10 of 10 Old 10-14-2019, 11:54 PM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

I have a Kenwood DNX893S along with an interface module that retains the steering wheel controls.

It is connected to a five channel amp Alpine PDX-V9
In my dash are Infinity Primus PR6500CS component speakers. The tweeters fit in the stock tweeter pods.
In the soundbar, I have the same component speakers. A hole was drilled in the soundbar using a hole saw in order to mount the tweeters. It made for a clean installation.
Behind my back seat is a rear facing sealed cube stuffed with polyfill. The backside which is against the backseat had an angle that matches the rear seat back. It is Velcro mounted so it can be removed for more cargo room if needed. The cube has a JBL P1024 subwoofer.

While my setup is not competition grade, it does sound pretty incredible, especially after getting everything adjusted. No matter the genre of music, it will still sound amazing.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.

Tags
radio swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in