BEST CB location! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

BEST CB location!

Hello all! Just though I'd share my idea. I mounted and wired my Uniden PRO520XL CB radio in the center console! Pretty easy to do and the install came out clean.

Yes....it is in there

Peak-a-boo

As you can see I removed the lock mechanism...mine was broken anyway. (Aren't they all?)

Wires go into the side of the center console and down toward the passengar side firewall and out a rubber gromet onto the battery. The coax goes down and out the back gate gromet.

Don't buy a $30 dollar mount...go buy a stud mount ($8.99) and a L bracket ( $2.79) and make your own like I did. I drilled the L bracket holes bigger for the tire carrier bolt and the stud mount.

How the antenna stands..

All in all this was a fairly easy install and I am very happy how it came out. You can still hear the CB radio fairly well even with the center console closed. I will be mounting an external speaker just above the drivers side seat to make it even easier to hear. Any questions let me know.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
foolsonparade

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice Although, it seems like it would be hard to change channels. Other than that, looks good.
post #3 of 31 Old 03-21-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRolling View Post
Nice Although, it seems like it would be hard to change channels. Other than that, looks good.
Nope, just reach under from the top and I have the knobs memorized so I don't even have to open the box

post #4 of 31 Old 03-21-2012, 02:38 PM
4LCKDRUBIUNLTD
2010 JK Wrangler 

Nice job. I have the exact same cb & was trying to come up with an idea like that. I ended up just mounting it on the dash.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM
blobo
2010 JK Wrangler 

Did you just get rid of the plastic notch on the armrest (right behind where the lock was) to make sure the cb would lie flush in there?

95 ZJ on 33's and 3.5" of lift- Sold
10 JK Wrangler- 2.5" RK Max Travel, 35" NTG's, 17" KMC Enduros, PSC Brawler Lite, PSC BFH Rear, Genright Tire Carrier, JCR Stage II Sliders, RockHard Skids, PSC Tramp Stamp, Line-xd Tub, Cobra CB
post #6 of 31 Old 03-21-2012, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobo View Post
Did you just get rid of the plastic notch on the armrest (right behind where the lock was) to make sure the cb would lie flush in there?
Yes exactly and if worse came to worse I could take the cb out and put the locking mechanism back in and it still appears to be stock.

post #7 of 31 Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 PM
blobo
2010 JK Wrangler 

Very cool! Also sort of dumb but how did you attach the cb to the top of the armrest??

10 JK Wrangler- 2.5" RK Max Travel, 35" NTG's, 17" KMC Enduros, PSC Brawler Lite, PSC BFH Rear, Genright Tire Carrier, JCR Stage II Sliders, RockHard Skids, PSC Tramp Stamp, Line-xd Tub, Cobra CB
post #8 of 31 Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM
SirWinston

2007 JK Wrangler 

That looks awesome! but I feel like it might be kind of hard to hear it since the speaker is facing down into the center console, or is it still pretty loud?

Colorado Jeep Club Member #265
post #9 of 31 Old 03-21-2012, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blobo View Post
Very cool! Also sort of dumb but how did you attach the cb to the top of the armrest??
Haha no its a really good question since it just looks like its floating in there. The sides of the center console lid comes off and then I actually drilled screws into that part of the plastic and then put the side caps back on. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirWinston View Post
That looks awesome! but I feel like it might be kind of hard to hear it since the speaker is facing down into the center console, or is it still pretty loud?
It is actually pretty loud and if worse comes to worse you could flip the lid open. But that little Uniden BOOMS out noise. I also bought an external speaker just incase and I still havent installed it.

post #10 of 31 Old 03-22-2012, 01:05 PM
blobo
2010 JK Wrangler 

Haha no its a really good question since it just looks like its floating in there. The sides of the center console lid comes off and then I actually drilled screws into that part of the plastic and then put the side caps back on. Does that make sense?

I get the part where the console lid comes apart, but how did you get the screws to attach the cb, I think I am just not grasping what teh screws attach to on the cb itself??

post #11 of 31 Old 03-22-2012, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

I get the part where the console lid comes apart, but how did you get the screws to attach the cb, I think I am just not grasping what teh screws attach to on the cb itself??[/QUOTE]

The side of the cb radio has holes for screws for the actual mounting bracket so I drilled the screws and lined them up with those holes in the side of the CB.

post #12 of 31 Old 03-22-2012, 03:18 PM
goldenglory18

****ing brilliant.

Too bad this wont work with a 2011+. I really like sneaky installs....

Gone and I dont miss it at all - 2011 JKU
post #13 of 31 Old 03-22-2012, 03:21 PM
GunDude
2011 JK Wrangler 

I like above the rear view mirror!
Attached Thumbnails
001.JPG   002.JPG   003.JPG   004.JPG   005.JPG  

post #14 of 31 Old 03-22-2012, 03:26 PM
smcutter

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunDude View Post
I like above the rear view mirror!
That is what I am planning to do this weekend. GunDude, how did you run the wires behind the CB unit down to the floor?

For the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-22-2012, 03:27 PM
blobo
2010 JK Wrangler 

The side of the cb radio has holes for screws for the actual mounting bracket so I drilled the screws and lined them up with those holes in the side of the CB.[/QUOTE

Ah of course! Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in