Audio upgrade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-25-2018, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
pnfredrickson
2018 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Audio upgrade

So I am starting to look into upgrading my sound. Here are my thoughts: Can I keep my POS head unit (130) and add in a small/micro amp and upgrade the speakers? Not looking for a killer system, just something better than stock.I don't need a lot of features.
Peter

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-25-2018, 11:51 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

No.

As much as it sounds like a viable option, you will be waaaaaaaay better off to replace the head unit with a good, well powered unit.

I changed my stock HU for a decent kenwood HU and added an amp/ sub. I planned to change my stock speakers out, but after that, they sounded fine/ great, and I am extremely happy with the set-up.

The stock HU is beyond complete suck.

Hoss

I used to be a people person, until people ruined it...
post #3 of 6 Old 03-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Bill123

2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnfredrickson View Post
So I am starting to look into upgrading my sound. Here are my thoughts: Can I keep my POS head unit (130) and add in a small/micro amp and upgrade the speakers? Not looking for a killer system, just something better than stock.I don't need a lot of features.
Peter
I installed am amp in my base unit and it's much better. I also installed Kicker replacement speakers, so it's alot better than it was originally. I wanted to keep the factory look, so I chose this route instead of an entirely new head unit.

2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Lift
305/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT2
Fuel Lethal Wheels

post #4 of 6 Old 03-26-2018, 08:44 AM
defleppardsg
2017 JK Wrangler 

I have a different head unit, the 430, and I wanted to keep it. I don't really think it's all that great of a head unit, to be honest, but I wanted to keep the vehicle looking stock. Anyway, the sound quality sucked and there was no low end at all, so over this past Christmas I ordered from Crutchfield a Sound Ordnance compact sub and 4 Polk replacement speakers. I put the sub under the front passenger seat and used a line-output-converter to tap into the speaker wire behind the head unit. These additions definitely improved the sound quality of the stereo system, so it was worthwhile. I don't think that the sub I got is the best unit in the world, but for the price it is a big improvement over the stock setup. I don't see any reason why you couldn't add an amp to your 130; you'd have to get a line-output-converter as well which isn't a big deal to install. If you're fine with the features of the 130 and you just want to improve the sound quality, that should work for you.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-30-2018, 05:11 PM
rla1999
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnfredrickson View Post
Peter
I recommend you change the head unit as well. There are plenty of options out there at relative good prices. I changed the 430 unit, speakers and tweeters with a Kenwood double din unit, and pioneer component speakers for the front and for the top. The sound compared to the stock system is night and day. Keeping the 130 unit and adding an amp will not make the sound crisper.

If I could do it over, I would have made the change sooner and not two years after I purchased my 2013 JK Might as well do it now and enjoy your 2018 with a great sound system.

Enjoy
post #6 of 6 Old 03-31-2018, 07:24 AM
Yesfan70

2018 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking into Pioneer for a possible replacement. I'm happy with the 130, but I've noticed a couple of times, it will change to another input on its own. That and the fact it reverts back to either Sirius/XM or AM/FM instead of staying on the last input used (USB) has me moving this mod up my list.

There's an Alpine unit on Q-tec I'd like to have but it's $$$! It would give me everything I'd like, so I've not totally ruled it out.

2018 JKUR
Only in a Jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in