Any good reason to NOT run a 15" wheel? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
chad_rhodes

Any good reason to NOT run a 15" wheel?

I'm not a huge fan of the big wheels, but on a JKU that see 90% street time and 10% trails is there any reason not to run 15's? do they drive ok?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-11-2019, 10:40 AM
seansheds
2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Im 99.9% sure a 15 wont fit because of the brakes. I think a 17 is minimum.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-11-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
chad_rhodes

There's a thread full of guys running 15's

post #4 of 7 Old 03-11-2019, 11:30 AM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

Some specific wheels will fit/ clear the brakes on a JKU, some, but not all. Most are steel.

The reason not to is that they usually/typically have the 'wrongs' offset, and stick way outside the flare. It's also possible balancing would be an issue because inside weights could further cause clearance issues.This looks bad and adds extra stress to your components. For that reason alone I would choose NOT to run a 15.

There is also a change occurring in tires and availability. Not saying you can't find tires for a 15" wheel, but they (manufacturer's) are generally moving away from smaller diameter wheels.

For this same reason, that is why many recommend 17's. They are the new 15's of the auto world.

A 17" wheel is not considered big, and the proportions are still good on a 17", especially with an off-road tire.

Hoss

I'd rather be a few peoples shot of whiskey than everyones cup of tea...
post #5 of 7 Old 03-11-2019, 12:14 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Out of over 700 types of rims listed on tirerack for the JK, only 12 styles of 15" will fit over the brakes.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 7 Old 03-11-2019, 02:00 PM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
A good reason not to? Depends on what you are going for. As long as the 15 is less than 3.75" backspace itll work.

The whole point of running a smaller wheel is to get more side wall. TJs/YJs run 15s and 33s because it takes a lot of suspension changes to run a 35+. On a JK you can run a 37 with a 2.5" lift. JKs are heavier, so in building them for both street and trail, as much brake as you can fit is the best idea. That said, a 2.5" lift JK can get 35s no problem. ON a TJ/YJ youre talking 6" and maybe a body lift.

The technology for aluminum offroad wheels has gotten pretty good. Almost all race beadlocks these days are aluminum. Sure you can still build your own for trail dedicated, but if you are going to street/trail, you want a combination of factors. They make brake kits for JKs 14-15". Id rather get a larger brake package and run the smallest wheel I could with those brakes to get the most bang from the sidewall I can fit with suspension.

If all you are going for is aesthetics? Seems a lot of people build Jeeps strictly for the looks with no regard for the performance of them. If this is what you want, go for it.

If you are running a 3.5" backspace 15x8/9/10 for a 33, just keep this in mind... the scrub on the tire is pushed out from stock near 4". Youd need a 40" tire before you got back to good handling situation. In that case, a 17 is plenty good. I run a 37 with 3.5" backspace 17x9s. Under hard braking, I get a little "squirm" . It would be way worse with more positive scrub. Why is this important? Blow a tire on the highway, its difference between 3 rollovers and coming to a controlled stop. Try not to do things from a purely aesthetic standpoint....

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #7 of 7 Old 03-11-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
chad_rhodes

I didn’t think about the scrub radius.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in