Advice on the JK HPD44 Housing New HD Currie brackets - seals - inner C to inner C - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-12-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Advice on the JK HPD44 Housing New HD Currie brackets - seals - inner C to inner C

Does anyone have experience with the JK HPD44 Housing New HD Currie brackets - seals - inner C to inner C axle

I am thinking of getting it through RHK Haus. I want to run it on my 2013 Sport with 37s, 4.88s, yukon 30-spline lockers, and RCVs.

Thanks for the input

Pics:
http://rwkhaussupply.com/picts/JKD442.jpg
http://rwkhaussupply.com/picts/JKD441.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-21-2013, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

pics

Here are pics of the axles in question:
Ford center, Currie bracketry, 3"X3/8" tubes, Jeep inner C's w/ gussets strengthened...
Attached Thumbnails
JKD441.jpg   JKD442.jpg  
post #3 of 20 Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 AM
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Have considered "sleeving" the axle while you are at it?

http://www.eadoffroad.com/synergy-su...ve-upgrade-kit

Sean

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51

post #4 of 20 Old 01-22-2013, 07:32 AM
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Not sure what exactly you are asking about. Doing a direct bolt in swap? Is this a ford center section with jk inner C's and tubes welded in?. I am not a fan of the bracket placement but I am not sure of your set up or if you have any welding skills.

If you learned something new today, you had a good day.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-22-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Not sure what exactly you are asking about. Doing a direct bolt in swap? Is this a ford center section with jk inner C's and tubes welded in?. I am not a fan of the bracket placement but I am not sure of your set up or if you have any welding skills.
I am having a shop weld it (RWK Haus). It is Currie brackets. Why aren't you a fan of the bracket placement? I have been told that it is very tough with the 3/8"X3" tubes.

It is a bolt-in swap.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-22-2013, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Dana 44 w/ 3"X3/3" tubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPV View Post
Have considered "sleeving" the axle while you are at it?

http://www.eadoffroad.com/synergy-su...ve-upgrade-kit
I have been told that with the 3" x 3/8" tubes, it will be stronger than my Dana 44 with sleeves and gusseted Cs on my other JK. Any advice is appreciated.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-22-2013, 09:14 PM
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

I am still confused on exactly what this axle is. Why would you re-use the weak JK inner C on it? What is the wms of the axle? It just looks narrow to me.
I would optimize the brackets to fit the suspension better and increase the articulation.

post #8 of 20 Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Axle

Quote:
I am still confused on exactly what this axle is. Why would you re-use the weak JK inner C on it? What is the wms of the axle? It just looks narrow to me.
I would optimize the brackets to fit the suspension better and increase the articulation.
It is a Currie-built Dana 44 with a Ford Center. I think it looks narrow because the tubes are very big (3"). It is full width, but I am told it is much stronger than even a JK Dana 44 with C gussets and sleeves.
post #9 of 20 Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 AM
The_Eng
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I think if I were going to the trouble of swapping axles I would step up to 60's. What are you gaining on going to the new 44 besides High Pinion? Is it significantly stronger than the stock housing? I've seen the Pro Rock 60's in action and they are beast

http://www.dynatrac.com/products/jk/ProRock60.html
post #10 of 20 Old 01-24-2013, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Eng View Post
I think if I were going to the trouble of swapping axles I would step up to 60's. What are you gaining on going to the new 44 besides High Pinion? Is it significantly stronger than the stock housing? I've seen the Pro Rock 60's in action and they are beast

http://www.dynatrac.com/products/jk/ProRock60.html
Well.. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I am getting a much stronger housing for my 37s than my current Dana 30. I believe it will be even stronger than my sleeved and inner-C-gusseted Dana 44 on my other Jeep. I can get the housing, gears, locker and RCVs for just under $3500.

I believe a Rock Jock 60 or a Dynatrac with the same setup would be significantly more. I appreciate any input.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-25-2013, 10:15 AM
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

The tubes would be stronger on the axle and the r&p would be if you have a dana 30 now, not sure what you currently have. If they are going to be welding up a completly new axle I would have them use the dynatrac C forging on them, they are much stronger and should not require the extra gussets.

Does this set up allow you to castor correct the axle for your lift?

If you currently have a rubi 44 I would not spend that much on that axle, do a prorock unlimited 44 and swap everything over.

And you are right a pro rock 60 with arb and rcv shafts will run you around $9000

post #12 of 20 Old 01-25-2013, 12:01 PM
The_Eng
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen the ProRock's for $7k complete bolt in for JK. Still a good chunk of change. I thought you had a Rubi with 44's already so it didn't make sense in my head to swap to another 44 even if it was stronger.
post #13 of 20 Old 01-26-2013, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The tubes would be stronger on the axle and the r&p would be if you have a dana 30 now, not sure what you currently have. If they are going to be welding up a completly new axle I would have them use the dynatrac C forging on them, they are much stronger and should not require the extra gussets.

Does this set up allow you to castor correct the axle for your lift?

If you currently have a rubi 44 I would not spend that much on that axle, do a prorock unlimited 44 and swap everything over.

And you are right a pro rock 60 with arb and rcv shafts will run you around $9000
I guess the confusion is my fault. I have a 2008 w/ a gusseted and sleeved 44 and RCVs. I am very happy w/ that. What I am talking about is my 2013 JK Sport w/ a Dana 30 and I want a beefy front axle for my planned 37s.
post #14 of 20 Old 01-26-2013, 02:12 AM
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm just curious as to what makes the Ford center better than the JK-hp44?
The only thing I can think of is that it will accept the larger tubes. Other than that I thought that the JK44 was supposed to be better than the others.
My plan is to strip the brackets from my JK44 and use full outer sleeves and a new bracket set. I'll be removing the C's to install the sleeves with no splits and reinstalling the C's at a better pinion angle.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
surfdogdude
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
I'm just curious as to what makes the Ford center better than the JK-hp44?
The only thing I can think of is that it will accept the larger tubes. Other than that I thought that the JK44 was supposed to be better than the others.
My plan is to strip the brackets from my JK44 and use full outer sleeves and a new bracket set. I'll be removing the C's to install the sleeves with no splits and reinstalling the C's at a better pinion angle.

I think that is just it: That is takes heavier (3/8"x3"), tubes. Robert from RWK Haus tells me that this will be stronger than the 44 on my other Jeep.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in