Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

4:10 or 4:56 '13 sport

12K views 43 replies 17 participants last post by  cranbiz 
#1 ·
I'm stuck. I've read a ton of threads and can't make up my mind. I have the 6 speed manual and the dreaded 3:21s, I've looked at the charts. I'm running 33s and probably will for some time, eventually 35s maybe?

4:56 is much easier to come by and the thought of the power sounds nice. But I just don't know is that gonna be too much on the interstate?

Help me with my decision...... thanx

Update: I put this in the thread but thought I would update the op as well for anyone searching so you don't have to read through a bunch of posts. :thumbsup:

So finally got my gears installed. Decided to go 4.56. Ill try and make a YouTube video of the results soon and post it here. So far I'm happy I can pull out without throttle in first. I'm turning a little higher rpm than the charts specified but that's ok. I'm running 2700rpm at 70mph. Haven't driven enough to comment on milage yet ill try and post back in a few weeks with that info as well. In hindsight anyone staying with 33s go with 4.10s they will be perfect. With that said, I don't regret my choice as of yet.

As I said here is a youtube vid of my regear on the interstate at 70...

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm stuck. I've read a ton of threads and can't make up my mind. I have the 6 speed manual and the dreaded 3:21s, I've looked at the charts. I'm running 33s and probably will for some time, eventually 35s maybe?

4:56 is much easier to come by and the thought of the power sounds nice. But I just don't know is that gonna be too much on the interstate?

I am in the same boat. looking at the charts 4.10 is plenty gear for the 3.6 and 35's. The problem is you cannot find that ratio anywhere. Its a total drag. Regear for me in my area is $4000 so I will just be trading in the current sahara for a rubicon with factory 4.10's :mad:! Good luck but I bet you will need to end up going 4.56. For both cost and convenience reasons.

#3 ·
You'll be better off with 4.10's that will get you from stock sized tires up to 35's. You will need a new carrier up front since you have 3.21's now. If you were thinking about lockers doing so at the time you re-gear would be wise since it will be torn down anyway.

#5 ·

Alloy USA sells 4.10's for the D30 and D44 that will fit the JK.

Here are the rear ones
Here are the fronts

Don't forget that Extreme Terrain offers a discount for active Jeepforum members as well as free shipping on order of $75 or more. So, shoot me a PM and I can get you the code and answer any questions!

-Zach

#6 ·
So 4:56 is gonna be overkill is what your saying? I'm assuming I will be much happier coming from these dog 3:21's? Has anyone made this switch?

#7 ·
Ok, so my situation may not be of much help so take it for what its worth.

I run 33s on an 08 unl. I had 3.73s automatic and I was advised to not go higher than 4.56 as that would get me right where I "wanted to be." However knowing that someday I may want 35s I said screw it and got 5.13s even after being advised it may or may not be a good jump for me. In the end I am very very pleased with my decision to go higher as the charts posted in here put me at borderline performance range. Even interstate driving is good for me. I can cruise WITH CRUISE CONTROL :rofl: no problems

Therefore going a little high may be the way to go is all im saying.

#9 ·
Big difference between the 2007-2011 and the 2012-2013 as far as gearing demands.
So my model is higher geared than the older models so I should go with the lower 4:56? Is that what your saying here?

#13 ·
You say you will be considering 35's in the future so 4.10 's would be the ideal gear for 80/20 in/off road driving for you. If were going up to a 37 or rock crawling every weekend then yoy may consider 4.57 -and up.Most 35's you would be running on the street will not measure a true 35" . They run a bit smaller 34.2-34.8 besides this is probably your DD and spinning 2400+ rpms isn't going to be a treat.

#14 ·
I can see that. In the end my hope is to be able to stay in 6th on the interstate. Now I'm hitting 5th, 4th, and sometimes 3rd to pass.

#15 ·
I have a 2012 on 35s with stock 4.10s. It really isn't bad but I wouldn't intentionally gear it this way personally, at least for my use. What I mean is, i would want to spend $1500 to re-gear and end up with what I have currently. 4.10s and 33s would be great. But 4.56 gears with 33s would probably be over kill for this engine. So you're going to find yourself in the middle somewhere if you want to gear now and change tires way down the road. Hope I succeeded in making your decision more difficult. Lol

#16 ·
I can hold sixth gear on the freeway fine, but have to downshift to climb hills and pass normally. But it will cruise okay with mild acceleration in sixth on the freeway. In deep snow or towing much weight, I'm having to slip the clutch a little more than I like to get it moving. It isn't THAT bad, and will be an improvement over what you have now (even on 35s) but I'd hate to spend a bunch of money and end up this way, that's all.

#18 ·
So it's thinking about 35s what is throwing me? Should I just "cross that bridge when I get there" and say I'm running 33s indefinitely? If that's the case I should go with 4:10s then?

#21 ·
Always try to build around your eventual tire size especially with gears.

I understand that. That is why I seed I have an 08' so take this for what its worth. All I was trying to get at is that sometimes being on the high side numerically but low side gear wise is ok depending on what you are looking for
True, and also the topography being traversed. Gearing decisions can be a pain especially at the cost.:cheers2:

#20 ·
Tough call huh?

I was on the fence thinking I may switch to 37s later, and was unsure where to re-gear because of that. My opinion on gearing is going to vary from someone else' as well. I tend to gear low on other rigs. The 4.10s work well on the highway, they work okay in town. I just feel like 4x4 high doesn't work as well as I like off road in some situations. 4 low is always there, and that's what most people will say. However with a 4:1 low range on the rubicon, sometimes it's less than desirable to drive around in soft sand or deep snow and have to limit the speed to 20mph or something.

It's just my opinion anyway. A lot of people are very satisfied with 4.10s and 35s. I will tell you that I'm not running out the door to spend money on re-gearing right now. It works well enough that I'm putting a LOT of other priorities ahead of it. You'll be happy with 33s and 4.10s, that's nearly how the rubicon is from the factory. With 35s it's still okay, I get pretty good mileage (16/18 in the summer). I do feel like gearing too low with this engine would kill economy. The engine seems to be pretty happy at lower RPMs, it just depends on your expectations I guess.

#22 ·
I have a 2012 sport with max tow 3.73 gears. Just installed 315/70/17 all terrains basically 35" tire. Although not ideal pleasantly surprised with performance. If I was to regear I would go to 4.56 to make it worth while. Just think that most Rubicons come stock with 4.10 gears and the same factory tire size 255/75/17 tires. If you have drove a rubicon there are no negative comments I can make about the factory drive ability so I don't think it is geared too low. To get similar performance to a stock rubicon with taller and heavier tires I would go with the 4.56.

#25 ·
Such a hard decision. It's too expensive to pull back out if I don't like it. Going to 4:56 does a half turn off the pinion make that much of a difference? On the chart it looks like about 200rpm difference in the two not sure I would even notice that.

#26 ·
Ive been thinking a lot about this recently. Im torn between 33s and 35s. Not only because of the regear, but because of potential costs that 35s might require. Ex- axle upgrades, beefier tire carrier, larger lift... im sure im forgetting plenty.

#28 ·
So I ran most of the weekend in 5th on the interstate to get a feel for turning 2500rpm. I don't mind it at all in fact it feels nice. So according to the chart the 4:56 puts me at that mark. How accurate is this chart? If it's accurate I'm thinking 4:56 is where I want to be. Considering my hilly typography. Final comments? Thinking of telling the shop to order them tomorrow.

#29 ·
I'd go 4.56, it will put you 100 rpms higher than me with my 5.13's and 40" tires. Granted I'm a lower powered 3.8L. You'll be happier in the long run in the hills and mountains.

And keep in mind those charts are at 70 mph... not that often you're going that fast (at least in my case)

#30 ·
The only time I felt like I geared something too low was after I moved to a flat land (Kentucky) where everyone drives 80mph on the freeway. This was an explorer sport trac (5 speed auto) with 4.88s and 33s. In Oregon I LOVED the setup, it was amazing off road, in town, towing, mountains, 60-70mph highway etc. I just didn't need it that way in Kentucky.

I doubt you would regret 4.56 gears as the difference isn't huge. Mileage may suffer a little but not enough people have re-geared the 3.6 yet to get a lot of first hand experiences. If anything you'll just want to swap to 35s sooner.

#31 ·
So finally got my gears installed. Decided to go 4.56. Ill try and make a YouTube video of the results soon and post it here. So far I'm happy i can pull out without throttle in first. I'm turning a little higher rpm than the charts specified but that's ok. I'm running 2700rpm at 70mph. Haven't driven enough to comment on milage yet ill try and post back in a few weeks with that info as well. In hindsight anyone staying with 33s go with 4.10s they will be perfect. With that said, I don't regret my choice as of yet.

#33 ·
I have the same dilemma here: 2013 2-dr Sport 6-Speed manual with 3,21 gears and live @9800 feet.... changed my tires to 285/70 R17s and have a hard time when start moving on any incline with no passangers or trailer. Reverse is even worse.

I live @ 9800 feet.... what would you do 4.56 or 4.10?

Thanks a lot for any help

#35 ·
I plan on staying on 33s... The other day I burnt some clutch getting out of a small hole, kind of embarrasing for the Jeep :eek:...I haven't disabled the HSA yet, but I don't belive this will really cure my problem??

#36 ·
In the end the decision is urs. Those 3.21 gears just suck imo. Watch my youtube video to be sure your ok with the rpms on the interstate on 33s. Should be linked in the op. I love my 4.56 gears and wouldn't trade them for anything. I never gear down on the interstate. Even towing my atv on the interstate i only gear down to 5th on the long steep hills. I'm getting about 16-19 mpg mostly on the interstate. I really don't think u would regret 4.56.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.