3rd gear slip (6-spd) - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
nufga

2010 JK Wrangler 

3rd gear slip (6-spd)

I don't know if slip is the appropriate word, so bear with me. When shifting into 3rd gear only, there seems to be a 1 second delay before the transmission catches and the acceleration begins/RPMs increase. I've seen a few threads discussing a "delay," but all seem to refer to the auto trans.

My Jeep is a 2010 Sahara, standard, with only about 2,200 miles on it. I'm taking it into the dealer on Monday, but wanted to see if anybody else had similar problems/knows the cause.

I have a 2.5" RC Series II BB, RR XHD stubby bumper, and putting on 15" Cragar Soft 8s (4" BS, so I will have to grind the caliper a little) with 35x12.5R15 MTRs. I don't believe any of these modifications should affect anything related to the problem, but I'm still afraid the dealership my reference them.

Any help would be appreciated, it's so frustrating when you have to take in a brand new car after only a couple months.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 10:06 AM
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

There's another thread here about a JK losing power...the description of the problem is almost identical.

Almost sounds like both of you are having throwout bearing issues that are making the clutch hang a bit before it engages.

Definitely a dealer issue.

Here's the other thread.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/2...ssues-1131606/
post #3 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 10:31 AM
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I highly doubt it's the TO bearing if it's just happening in 3rd gear, especially if you're not complaining about a strange noise coming from the bellhousing. Try really getting on it and revving a bit higher than you normally would. Is the delay still there? 3rd to 4th is the largest jump in ratios in the NSG370 so that's all you're feeling IMO. It has nothing to do with the transmission itself. It's a combination of the e-throttle and being taken out of the powerband. BTW, the dealer won't be able to do a thing for you. Most guys there are plug and oil changers. Anything more is over their head.

OlllllllO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

IndyORV

post #4 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
nufga

2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the info, both of you. I don't know how that other thread slipped by, it does seem similar, I guess I wasn't using the same keywords.

I have tried revving at higher RPMs and it is less noticeable. At the same time, the issue only recently started happening. I don't know if this issue is something that would be more apparent after the clutch has broken-in a little, but that should have happened back before the 500-mile mark.

My issue is easily replicated, I've had a friend drive the Jeep and he agrees, so hopefully I can get some insight from the the dealer that'll help those having similar problems.

Thanks again for all the help.
post #5 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 07:15 PM
2009 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like your problem is typical of many JK owners, particularly those of us with the 6-speed. Jeep programmed a "lag" in the throttle response, which causes this dead spot in the throttle curve. It is more pronounced for me if I shift below 2000 rpm's and it was worse once I put my 35's on due to the extra weight.

There really isn't much you can do about it, but who knows, maybe if Jeep has enough people complain, then they'll flash the ECU and fix it once and for all. Then again, if Jeep listened to its customers, we'd have a diesel by now and a bunch of other things that would make the vehicle work even better.

Some guys use the Flashpaq and get a better response. Others use the Sprint Booster to help this issue. Search around for suggestions/ideas.

Good luck.
post #6 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 07:54 PM
rattlewagon
2010 JK Wrangler 

Yea, the lag sucks. the flashpaq doesn't really help that much in this case. there are a few complaints on their site about it but they reported that that's the way it has been programed by Chrysler and there isn't a whole lot they can do... here: https://www.superchips.com/forum/vie...hp?f=18&t=8799

I gave up and uninstalled my flashpaq about 3 months ago. probably not going to program the jeep again.

I don't even think about it any more, I just drive it...
post #7 of 11 Old 11-30-2010, 08:14 PM
motor_car
2010 JK Wrangler 

I could feel this kind of lag, or flat spot in acceleration, in my old 2007 JK with manual and 3.21 gears, exactly as described. Also, ihe throttle delay was so great that blipping the gas pedal would do nothing. Yes, i'm a blipper, especially while reversing.
When i switched to my current 2010 JK with manual and 4.10 gears and tow option, i noticed that now blipping works like it should, and i'm a happy blipper once again, and the lag in 3rd take-up is gone.
Maybe it's worth asking the dealer if there is a flash to take care of that? Or maybe a setting for tow option that may fix the lag?
post #8 of 11 Old 12-01-2010, 03:11 AM
Green08

I had what I would say was a delay as well when shifting between gears. It almost felt like turbo lag in the old days, like it was bogging down before hitting the power sweet spot. In my case the Superchips Flashpaq resolved this and I'm pretty happy.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-01-2010, 05:56 AM
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

2010 Wrangler Unlimited 3.73's/6 spd, never noticed anything like what you're describing. It's no speed demon, but my shifting is very positive and consistent.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

havent noticed anything like that on mine...good luck
post #11 of 11 Old 12-01-2010, 07:21 PM
Pan51
2012 JK Wrangler 

mine would stumble for about a second of two ...but it went away i figured maybe some not so great gas...

Tags
3rd gear , accelerate , rpm , slip , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in