2nd key - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sam2698

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-14-2020, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Sam2698

2nd key

Just got my 2018 JK 2 door a week ago, the dealership (not Jeep) didn't have the 2nd key. Just went to Jeep dealer near me, they quoted $250 for new key with program ......anybody have any luck with another way to get a 2nd key? Otherwise I'll be sticking with one key!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-14-2020, 08:50 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Tell the dealer you bought it from you want a second key and that they need to provide it.

A locksmith is going to charge close to that and there is no guarantee that it's going to be a full working copy. That dealer cost is pretty close to what I paid when I lost me second key.

You need 2 keys to program spares yourself. Once you have 2, buy quality blanks (I used Ilco's) and program a bunch of spares. You can program 8 total keys into a JK.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 14 Old 09-15-2020, 01:12 PM
JoonHoss

2011 JK Wrangler 

I've used this place with good results, I'd get (the 2 pack) and get them cut myself and then ask the dealer to program (at their cost) that way they are only out time, and you have minimal expense

https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...yABEgI3IfD_BwE
Hoss

I used to be a people person, until people ruined it...

post #4 of 14 Old 09-15-2020, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Sam2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Tell the dealer you bought it from you want a second key and that they need to provide it.

A locksmith is going to charge close to that and there is no guarantee that it's going to be a full working copy. That dealer cost is pretty close to what I paid when I lost me second key.

You need 2 keys to program spares yourself. Once you have 2, buy quality blanks (I used Ilco's) and program a bunch of spares. You can program 8 total keys into a JK.
I'd be good if I had 2 keys, but $250 for a spare key.....nah.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-15-2020, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Sam2698

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
I've used this place with good results, I'd get (the 2 pack) and get them cut myself and then ask the dealer to program (at their cost) that way they are only out time, and you have minimal expense

https://www.remotesremotes.com/produ...yABEgI3IfD_BwE
Hoss
Awesome, yea $50 to program I can handle, $250 for a spare key???? Thanks!
JoonHoss likes this.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-21-2020, 11:19 AM
Priusron

Ace hardware. I believe $260 and free programming.
post #7 of 14 Old 09-21-2020, 01:34 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priusron View Post
Ace hardware. I believe $260 and free programming.
Ace can't/won't guarantee that key working 100%. I tried that route when I lost my 2nd key. In fact, my local Ace wouldn't touch it. The locksmith that was around the corner said he could clone it but it wouldn't work as a second key and even his might not be 100% compatible. He would cut all my blanks for a very nominal fee once I had 2 working keys.

His dealer quoted $250 for the key AND programming. The dealers key will work 100%. Therefore, if he was willing to pay for a 2nd key, your Ace solution costs more and has no guarantee.

You do know that the JK's Wireless module that is programmed to accept the chip in the key, not the key programmed for the Jeep. The wireless module will accept a total of 8 keys.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #8 of 14 Old 09-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Priusron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
Ace can't/won't guarantee that key working 100%. I tried that route when I lost my 2nd key. In fact, my local Ace wouldn't touch it. The locksmith that was around the corner said he could clone it but it wouldn't work as a second key and even his might not be 100% compatible. He would cut all my blanks for a very nominal fee once I had 2 working keys.

His dealer quoted $250 for the key AND programming. The dealers key will work 100%. Therefore, if he was willing to pay for a 2nd key, your Ace solution costs more and has no guarantee.

You do know that the JK's Wireless module that is programmed to accept the chip in the key, not the key programmed for the Jeep. The wireless module will accept a total of 8 keys.
Mine works great. He cut it and programmed it in the parking lot. I knew it worked before I left. I was surprised they had the equipment to plug into the OBD port and program it. I also had my two keys with me. I just wanted a spare.
post #9 of 14 Old 09-22-2020, 08:56 PM
droz
2014 JK Wrangler 

I am not sure on the 2018 but I have seen keys for the JK's online for around $100, I would just ask a tech if he wants to make a quick $20 on his lunch break to program the 2nd key, takes about 5 minutes with the programmer, they will scan your vin, download they code for programming and plug into the OBD port and upload the info and good to go
post #10 of 14 Old 09-23-2020, 08:16 AM
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

I thought if you have 2 keys you can program a spare key yourself? When I got my '09 I programmed 3 extra keys myself. When I use them to unlock the door the horn sounds but a turn of the ignition and everything is good.

-------------------
2009 JKU Sahara
2018 Chevy Cruze Premier
2020 JLU Rubicon
post #11 of 14 Old 09-23-2020, 02:44 PM
Priusron

Mine works just like the original.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-24-2020, 07:33 AM
AlaskaDiver

You can make a basic key for a few dollars. It will let you in if you locked yourself out, but not let you drive away.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-24-2020, 08:25 AM
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priusron View Post
Mine works just like the original.
My original keyfob key does the same thing - if I unlock the door with the key the alarm will go off until I key the ignition and turn it on.

I got 3 spare working keys for under $100 cut and programmed way back. You need to have 2 keyfob keys in order to do this without a programmer.

-------------------
2009 JKU Sahara
2018 Chevy Cruze Premier
2020 JLU Rubicon
post #14 of 14 Old 09-24-2020, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Sam2698

Thanks for all the ideas. 1. I only have one key, need 2 to program additional. 2. Ace says they won't guarantee key will work and if I'm needing the 2nd key, I'm going to need it to work! 3. I see on ebay I can buy a used key so that may be my option and see if the Jeep dealer will program it, at least it will only be the price of key and $50 for programming ( i wish i could get to the mechanics but you got to get through the service advisors first.

Tags
key , key fob , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in