2018 Sahara JK Unlimited Vs. 2018 Rubicon Unlimited - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-10-2020, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
efurlong

2018 Sahara JK Unlimited Vs. 2018 Rubicon Unlimited

Hello All, I have a 2014 2 door JK...I ordered it with 373's and LSD. I'm in the process of looking for another JK. Looking at a 17 Sahara Unlimited with 373's (no LSD) and a 2018 Rubicon unlimited with 410's and "tru lok" differentials.

This vehicle will be used on road. My question is this: Is the Rubicon well suited for a daily driver? My existing Sahara is a very easy driver. Any drawbacks to using a Rubicon as a daily driver? What is a Tru Lok differential?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by efurlong; 08-10-2020 at 11:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-10-2020, 05:08 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by efurlong View Post
Any drawbacks to using a Rubicon as a daily driver? What is a Tru Lok differential?

Thanks in advance.
the Locking Dif make it so both wheels will spin at the same speed no matter what. it fiscally locks the axes. You can not use them on street unless the road is ice or hard pack snow. But unless you have ever drove a locked axle on ice and snow i would avoid that it as you will most likely end up in a ditch.

It will drive about the same as any other jeep on road. in 2x4. since most all jeeps cj-jks are part time 4x4.

The latest JL Sahara has an option for AWD. for most people this will more like a modern Suv and will be a better choice for a winter DD.

LSD does slip so tires dont bark in turns like a locker will if its in use.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-11-2020, 06:46 AM
TravisHeim
2017 JK Wrangler 

I just purchased a 2017 Rubicon for a daily driver and unless it's in 4wd low I can't engage the lockers (tru lock differential) but I don't know if the 2018 JL is the same way. As far as I can tell the JK Rubicon locker is an open differential when unlocked unlike the TJ Rubicon rear which is a LSD when unlocked, I don't know if the JL Rubicon locker is the same as JK or if it's like TJ. I don't think you would notice the difference between 3.73 and 4.10 axle gear ratios on the two. If you don't ever plan to offroad it the sahara might be better if its less money or has other better trim features if they are the same cost.

post #4 of 4 Old 08-12-2020, 09:28 AM
Pillswoj

2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
The Rubicon you are paying for features that you will never use if you do not offroad. The lockers and the Electronic Swaybar disconnect are only for offroad and can only be engaged in 4 LO.
Of the 2 vehicles you are looking at unless the Rubicon is the same price (not likely) or greatly lower mileage it doesn't make sense to buy it. That being said, if you are going to sell it in a couple of years the Rubicon will be worth more and sell quicker the the Sahara.

Jeff
2014 2 dr Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in