2018 JK Low tire pressure warning keeps coming on - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-13-2020, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
IowaJack
2018 JK Wrangler 

2018 JK Low tire pressure warning keeps coming on

On my wifes 2018 the front right tire pressure warning keeps coming on. It is usually a result of it getting cooler outside thus causing the pressure to drop, but it seems overly sensitive. When I put air in it then it only takes 1-2 lbs at most to fix the issue. If it is a leak then it is a really slooooow one as it will be OK for several weeks. The issue seems to be the weather causing it.

Is this a know problem and maybe a bad tire sensor? Is there a range on these sensors or a way to adjust the sensitivity in the programming. This is still under warranty and I plan to have it looked at Saturday but would like to know if there is anything I need to ask them to do.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-13-2020, 10:16 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

What pressure are you setting it to?

How much do you trust your gauge?

Do you have the EVIC system/tire pressure display and, if so, what does it say compared to the gauge?

Our OEM tire pressure sensors and displays have been flawless in our two current Jeeps (12' WK2 and 16 JKU).

As a matter of fact, the systems are within about 1psi of the gauge.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #3 of 7 Old 02-14-2020, 06:59 AM Thread Starter
IowaJack
2018 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
What pressure are you setting it to?

How much do you trust your gauge?

Do you have the EVIC system/tire pressure display and, if so, what does it say compared to the gauge?

Our OEM tire pressure sensors and displays have been flawless in our two current Jeeps (12' WK2 and 16 JKU).

As a matter of fact, the systems are within about 1psi of the gauge.
I have two gauges, a digital and analog stick gauge and both read the same

I do not have the EVIC system, it only show a tire warning light and message with which tire.

I have an appointment this Saturday to have it looked at.

post #4 of 7 Old 02-14-2020, 10:39 AM
DiscountTire
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaJack View Post
On my wifes 2018 the front right tire pressure warning keeps coming on. It is usually a result of it getting cooler outside thus causing the pressure to drop, but it seems overly sensitive. When I put air in it then it only takes 1-2 lbs at most to fix the issue. If it is a leak then it is a really slooooow one as it will be OK for several weeks. The issue seems to be the weather causing it.

Is this a know problem and maybe a bad tire sensor? Is there a range on these sensors or a way to adjust the sensitivity in the programming. This is still under warranty and I plan to have it looked at Saturday but would like to know if there is anything I need to ask them to do.
Iowajack-

As convenient as TPMS sensors are when they are working, they can sure be frustrating when they don't. Wanted to give you a bit of info in an effort to help with the situation. Sensors are a very simple sending unit, so they either work or don't. If the light comes on when the tires lose air, then the light goes off when you fill it, it indicates a functioning system.

You mentioned outside temps which is a very valid thought. One thing you could try is wait until the tire is cold to inflate it, since hot air expands, if you are filling it to 36PSI when the tire is hot, when the tire cools it could be dropping below the threshold and setting the light back off.

Other thing is our stores offer free tire inspections, we would be happy to remove the tire and dunk it to ensure the valve stem or tire itself isnt loosing air.

Discount Tire store locator

Feel free to reach out should you need any further assistance, we are always happy to help.

Hope you have a great weekend and are able to get it figured out!

Low Prices! More Choices! Trusted Experts!
At The Store:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To Your Door:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Useful Links:

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old 02-14-2020, 12:38 PM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaJack View Post

Hi IowaJack,
Thanks for sharing your concerns on here, we look forward to reading the follow up of your dealer diagnosis. Please know that our team is happy to offer our additional support during your service visit over private message.

Kathryn
JeepCares
post #6 of 7 Old 02-14-2020, 12:57 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Why don't we start by confirming there IS an actual issue?

Op hasn't answered the initial questions.

What psi is he setting it too?

And how (cold or hot)?

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #7 of 7 Old 02-15-2020, 11:56 AM
bschurr

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I suspect it’s a slow leak

2106 Wrangler JKU Rubicon
2005 Wrangler TJ New to me Jan 2013
1997 Wrangler TJ - RIP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in