2017 JKUL Rubicon Spongy Brake Pedal - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-18-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
mattd860

2017 JKUL Rubicon Spongy Brake Pedal

Hi Everyone - I am looking at purchase my first Jeep which is an unmodified 2017 Rubicon 4 door with 20,000 miles. I took it for a test drive yesterday and loved everything except for one thing. The brakes feel very spongy. When the engine is on and transmission in park, I can push the pedal all the way to the floor with minimal resistance. While driving it seems to stop ok but I had an uneasy feeling about it the whole time. Unfortunately it's at a Chevy dealership and the salesman claimed to understand my uneasy feeling, however, he tried to assure me it was a 'Jeep Thing'. I trust the mechanics will look it over before I buy it, however, I am willing to bet they will say it's normal - especially since they're not Jeep mechanics. Before I get too far down the rabbit hole I wanted to check here to see if that is a normal thing. I've never owned a vehicle with a brake pedal that was able to be pushed all the way to the floor like that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-18-2019, 12:20 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

No, that's not normal. Sounds like the brakes were improperly bled without the proper ABS tools.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #3 of 6 Old 10-18-2019, 12:28 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
I would never step in that dealer again my self( my self am DONE with dealers. Jeep, Dodge, Chevy ALL basically have the same brakes. There are things that specifically a Jeep issue Brakes is not one. Now wobbles is since a Jeep is one of the last solid axle front ends short of say a 1 ton truck with 4x4.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-18-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
mattd860

I guess I can give them an opportunity to make it right. I haven't bought it or even put a deposit on it yet so I have nothing to lose. It is one of the nicer Jeeps available in my price range and has some extras such as a light bar, upgraded headlights, and a steel bumper with winch. The interior is spotless as well and the undercarriage is fairly clean with minimal rust (new England salt). If the dealer is willing to fix the brake issue then I would be sold but my guess is they won't. Now that I know it's not a 'Jeep Issue' I will be able to comfortably walk away if they won't fix it or give me more lame excuses.

Another worry I have is why did the previous owner trade it in for a Chevy??? No offense to Chevy guys but they don't make anything that can come close to a Jeep, let alone this Rubicon.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Brakes are a MAJOR safety issue and a huge liability to them if they don't fix them. If you want to give them a chance to fix it, go to the sales manager and let him know about the issue that needs to be fixed and tell him that you don't want to deal that sales person any more for lack of confidence in his/her honesty.

As far as why it was traded in, who knows. There's plenty of reasons to get rid of a Wrangler in favor of a different vehicle. Maybe they never went off-road and didn't need a Rubi. Maybe they wanted to tow something more than a 5' utility trailer. Maybe they wanted something that didn't ride, handle and get the gas mileage of a brick on wheels. Lots of valid reasons.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #6 of 6 Old 10-18-2019, 03:32 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Many people buy these for DD and then find its just not what they "need". Might have been what they "wanted". They are NOT AWD, it is part time 4x4. Not to many part time 4x4 on the market today, Jks might have been the last? since the NEW JL can come with AWD.

I would not pay MORE for things added to it unless they were TOP end parts, you want. a winch can be a china made low end of $ 300 to $1200+ for a top end USA made like a Warren. Bumpers fenders same thing and lifts as well. Lifts MORE so people tend to go very cheap. Most winches are nothing but decoration of a bumper and the owner would not know how to use one safely, then can kill people.

if its an auto Rubicon and you have plans to go bigger tires. It was an option on these years for 4.1 gears with a auto. the new auto changed what gears are need for tires on a jeep. 4.1 can roll 35s ok stock with enough lift. the 2011 and older jeeps with auto that same tire would need at least 5.13 gears. HUGE change in effective gear splits and a bit more power is why.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in