1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kev M

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 08-08-2019, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
2017 JKU Sahara battery died

My Wrangler is only 2-2 1/2 years old and the battery died. Is this common? I’m used to batteries that last much longer, but this thing is full of electronics. Anyway, is my OEM battery failing at only 2 1/2 common?

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 08-08-2019, 08:46 AM
BlueBabySound
2018 JK Wrangler 

That's about how long our '14 lasted.
It's on the 3rd battery in just over 5 years.
Picked up a Duracell AGM at Sam's club for a good price, I expect it to do better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 08-08-2019, 08:48 AM
RubiconFreedom
2017 JK Wrangler 

I'd say it's common, but really depends on how much electronics you have in your jeep. We don't have anything and last winter (jeep was only 1 1/2 old) the battery really struggled during some of the coldest weather we've seen here in MD in a long time. I suspect that before the next winter hits, we'll have it replaces with something better.

post #4 of 12 Old 08-08-2019, 09:08 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
mine lasted 18 months.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 12 Old 08-08-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Axhammer

1985 CJ7 

Garage
Thanks everyone, it’s nice to know it is normal, or not out of line with others experience. $172 for a platinum AGM from Advanced auto parts, and it has a three year warranty too. I threw the old one in the back of my CJ-7 Jeep and went to town for the new one. It’s installed, the clock reset, and I’m good to go!
Attached Thumbnails
0D9FDFF3-6E59-4C37-A763-2D5375494E38_1565309766329.jpg  

1985 CJ-7 Red with white hardtop, 258 auto
View my Pontiac in my profile
post #6 of 12 Old 08-09-2019, 08:08 AM
Kev M
2012 WK 

My 16 still has the original battery and we spend hours at a time with the stereo playing on the beach like we did every day this past week. < shrugs >

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #7 of 12 Old 08-09-2019, 09:01 AM
texomakid
2016 JK Wrangler 

There’s a lot of factors involved in battery longevity. Our ‘16 Jk OEM battery bit the dust a few months back. I did as most of you, replaced with AGM from Batteries + Bulbs with 3 yr nation wide warranty. We put a lot of demand on our batteries.

2016 JKUR Gobi/Black - 2" lift - 35x12.5 on 17x9 - SRC G2 bumpers - XRC gate (where does it end?)
post #8 of 12 Old 08-10-2019, 12:03 AM
Prot

2014 JK Wrangler 

In my 2007 JKU, the original battery lasted 18 months. After that, every battery lasted 12 months. It doesn’t get cold where I live except for maybe a few days and then it isn’t a hard freeze. Instead we have intense heat and humidity even at night and that can be harder on a battery than cold.

In my 2014 JKU, I am on my third battery. After the original battery went out, I replaced it with a Duracell AGM which didn’t last long at all. When it died, I thought the starter or something else had went out because there is no way it was the battery already. Well it was the battery and the Duracell was replaced with a Mopar. Batteries Plus refused to make things right for me regarding the Duracell (long story). Suffice to say I will never set foot in there again not only because of the outcome but because of the way I was treated.

AGM batteries are a good choice, and for me, something that is advertised for extreme heat is what I look for as well as quality posts. It seems like a battery post should be universally the same but there are some shoddy ones out there.

Incidentally there are really only three or so battery manufacturers and everything else is rebranded. Excuse is a good company, especially their top tier offerings.

2014 JKU Copperhead Pearl
Too many mods to list. Too awesome to sell.
post #9 of 12 Old 08-10-2019, 08:22 AM
BYuen

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
In my 2007 JKU, the original battery lasted 18 months. After that, every battery lasted 12 months. It doesn’t get cold where I live except for maybe a few days and then it isn’t a hard freeze. Instead we have intense heat and humidity even at night and that can be harder on a battery than cold.

In my 2014 JKU, I am on my third battery. After the original battery went out, I replaced it with a Duracell AGM which didn’t last long at all. When it died, I thought the starter or something else had went out because there is no way it was the battery already. Well it was the battery and the Duracell was replaced with a Mopar. Batteries Plus refused to make things right for me regarding the Duracell (long story). Suffice to say I will never set foot in there again not only because of the outcome but because of the way I was treated.

AGM batteries are a good choice, and for me, something that is advertised for extreme heat is what I look for as well as quality posts. It seems like a battery post should be universally the same but there are some shoddy ones out there.

Incidentally there are really only three or so battery manufacturers and everything else is rebranded. Excuse is a good company, especially their top tier offerings.
I had a similar experience with my Duralast AGM in my JKU. Died right under 2 years. My factory battery lasted around 3 years. I now have an Odyssey Extreme PC1500. I've had good luck with the Odyssey in my TJ which is now going strong for 10 years. We'll see how long this one lasts!

2001 White TJ Sport
2013 Black JKU Rubicon 10A
post #10 of 12 Old 09-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev M View Post
My 16 still has the original battery and we spend hours at a time with the stereo playing on the beach like we did every day this past week. < shrugs >
I guess I should have shut up cause now I gotta eat crow.

Two days ago I thought I noticed she was slow to crank once or maybe twice as I ran some errands.

I was gonna put her on a trickle charger, but forgot about it.

Went to leave this morning to take the youngest to his soccer game and it wouldn't crank.

Long story short needed to drive it to the next state today (inlaws) and over to Quadratec in the morning, so I didn't have time to wait.

Would have wanted an Odyssey, but best I could find WAS a yellow top AGM Optima at a local(ish) AutoZone.

So drove over, bought it, and popped it in.

Hopefully no more trouble for at least 4 more years.... Maybe more.
BlueBabySound likes this.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited
post #11 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 07:41 PM
gogogooch
2009 JK Wrangler 

Got 3 years on the OEM before getting a Sears Die Hard Platinum which I believe is AGM. It turned 7 years old and I seem to have a low battery problem in the mornings so I just bought a new AGM battery and am still having a problem so Im kinda PO'd that it wasnt my battery and I might have gotten 1 or 2 more years out of the Sears (of course I wouldnt get 2 more years of having a Sears but thats another story ).

I live in the mid Atlantic so we have cold winters and hot summers. Not bitter cold but have had some pretty good 90+ and a few 100+ in the Summer if that helps in regard to my getting 7 years out of my battery.

-------------------
2009 JKU Sahara
2014 Ford Explorer
2015 Chevy Cruze
post #12 of 12 Old 09-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Kev M
2012 WK 

I still can't explain why my wife is still on her original battery in the 2012 WK2 when mine went already on the 2016 JKU.

Different battery?

Maybe the different location (under the seat instead of in the engine compartment) is friendlier to the battery.

Current Jeeps:

2016 JKUS
2012 WK2 Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in