Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

2017 JK leaks

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  SLADE 
#1 ·
Some may say oh it a Wrangler but really my17 JK running for a few months leaks each rain storm, passenger side door. Took it back to the dealer they had it 4 days and says it was a seal nope still leaks. Comes into the jeep at the bottom of the passenger door.
Ideas

#2 ·
Ran our 2016 JKUS through the car wash first time, and it leaked bottom of the passenger side. Looking very closely, in the door frame, at the bottom, there is a very small notch. Painted real nice like it was damaged then painted over. Thought that until I looked at the drivers side. Same notch painted up real nice. I have no idea what these notches are, but I believe that is exactly where the water came in during the car wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Wow, Not good advice to give for a one /two year old vehicle. I bought a 2012 JKU new, bought a 2016 Willys new. Neither leaked. If you got leaks on a newer vehicle, take it back and give the dealer an ear full. There should be no way these things should leak, and no way we should have to mess with adding seals, weatherstripping, diagnosing leaks, etc. Leaks on a new vehicle are unacceptable. Do you think someone spending $31,000 TO $50,000 should have to mess with anything? A 2017 leaks, take it back, don't try to "rig" it. Just my opinion.

#6 ·
The procedure I posted is the exact procedure a dealership would use in a warranty claim, with the OEM part #s they would use.
While I agree, if it's under warranty, I personally would take it in. But some folks prefer to do their own work for various reasons, even when it's under warranty. For those folks, I wouldn't consider the factory authorized procedure 'rigging it' or 'bad advice'.

#8 ·
Slade, Not exactly true about me, just saying that not everyone one has time to fix/correct things that should not be happening. There's a lot of "market" out there for Wranglers, and customers buy products because they like the look, the style, the name, etc. I've been driving since the 70's and consider myself somewhat mechanical, but lets just say my Mom bought a new Rubi, do you really think they would expect to come out to an 1" of water in the thing? I was just saying, it's not an expected "option" that people are paying for when purchasing a Wrangler. Almost as crazy as my Harley days years ago, I guess I bought them because I expected it to leak oil and break down! That's a real selling point. Later Guys.

#10 ·
What you said was that offering a fix for the leaking issue is "not good advise".

If your somewhat mechanical, you may be able to look at the door jam and seal area and see why they are prone to leaking. Then you may be able to save "Mom" from continually finding 1" of water on her floor boards and save her the headache of multiple failed trips to the dealership.

#12 ·
I had an appointment to take it in for the second time when I reviewed the leak manual sent time here.
The leak came from one piece of gasket curled back rather than forward when the door was shut. I should really get a new gasket but dealers being dealers would probably have to prove it to themselves before they parted with one free even though it's under warranty

#14 ·
Mine leaked a **** ton during hurricane Irma. I am talking 6" of standing water on both foot wells.

Last time I took it to the dealer they scratched the **** out of the windows and paint "drying" it for me after they leak tested it. It looked like they used sandpaper.

I just live with the water now. It's easier than taking it back to the dealer and getting arrested for battery.

#15 ·
Achped said:
Mine leaked a **** ton during hurricane Irma. I am talking 6" of standing water on both foot wells. Last time I took it to the dealer they scratched the **** out of the windows and paint "drying" it for me after they leak tested it. It looked like they used sandpaper. I just live with the water now. It's easier than taking it back to the dealer and getting arrested for battery.
If the dealer did the damage the dealer should repair the damage

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.