2016 Sahara Unlimited - transmission drag - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-02-2021, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Red Wolf

2016 Sahara Unlimited - transmission drag

Not sure if I have a transmission problem or not. Before I take it to a mechanic, I wanted to run it by you folks...

I bought a dealer certified 2016 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited last July. When I take my foot off the gas, the Jeep feels like I'm lightly pressing the brakes - it doesn't coast anywhere near as much as any other vehicle I've ever owned. If I slip it into neutral, it'll coast for a long time - but put it back in gear, and it starts slowing. It never comes to a complete stop, and it'll drift forward from a stop if I take my foot off the brake

Jeep runs well other than that, no slippage of the tranny up or down hills, or from a stop to start as I'm accelerating - it just slows faster than what I'm used to.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-02-2021, 09:03 AM
Pillswoj

2014 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Depending on tire size and the gears in the axles that sounds completely normal. The auto in the 2012+ jeeps has a low gearing, you also likely have the tow package which has 3.73 gearing in the differentials.

Jeff
2014 2 dr Rubicon
post #3 of 7 Old 08-02-2021, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Red Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillswoj View Post
Depending on tire size and the gears in the axles that sounds completely normal. The auto in the 2012+ jeeps has a low gearing, you also likely have the tow package which has 3.73 gearing in the differentials.
I do have the 3.73 gearing and 18" tires.

Thanks, Pillswoj!

post #4 of 7 Old 08-25-2021, 09:32 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Old post

but that is the hill assist it sounds like. Even on a auto. when stopped if not level it holds the brakes so it wont roll. as you apply gas it releases. can be disabled.

Nothing to do with gearing .

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-26-2021, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Red Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
Old post

but that is the hill assist it sounds like. Even on a auto. when stopped if not level it holds the brakes so it wont roll. as you apply gas it releases. can be disabled.

Nothing to do with gearing .
It behaves like Tow/Haul mode on my Ram, without the downshift. There's a definite drag that isn't there if I shift to neutral.

I need to get an appointment for the dealership to check it out.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-26-2021, 09:48 AM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Not sure what year your Dodge is. But the Over drive off button you mean? Thought those were all the older 4 speed autos? I have a older 7.3 ford that is like you said. rolls like its kinda neutral when you lifted off the gas no real motor brake. But when i had that trans built. the Tq stays locked now unless i say go to OD locked out goes to 3rd as top gear. Dont need that much anymore since it pulls now in OD rather well. unless i loose steam on a steep pass towing load. Now steep down i have braking in OD, i like it better might not be as good for MPG. but its more connected too.

W5 on mine does use engine braking when you lift. Slowing down you may even feel it shift down sooner then most. depends on load.

I think you have nothing wrong. No codes? It does shift and does work in Manual mode. But lets see what the dealer says.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #7 of 7 Old 08-28-2021, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Red Wolf

Quote:
Not sure what year your Dodge is. But the Over drive off button you mean? Thought those were all the older 4 speed autos? I have a older 7.3 ford that is like you said. rolls like its kinda neutral when you lifted off the gas no real motor brake. But when i had that trans built. the Tq stays locked now unless i say go to OD locked out goes to 3rd as top gear. Dont need that much anymore since it pulls now in OD rather well. unless i loose steam on a steep pass towing load. Now steep down i have braking in OD, i like it better might not be as good for MPG. but its more connected too.
The newer Ram 2500 diesels (mine was a 2015) had an engine brake in tow/haul mode that would downshift automatically and use the engine gearing for braking. My 2011 Ford based (Triton V10) motorhome has the same feature.

Quote:
I think you have nothing wrong. No codes? It does shift and does work in Manual mode. But lets see what the dealer says.
Correct - no codes. I'm going to make time to call the dealership and get an appointment, since it's got an extended warranty (I bought it was a certified used Jeep, so that gives a 7 year warranty vs the usual 5).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in