2015 JK Engine Problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-09-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
tjchris84
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
2015 JK Engine Problems

Hey guys,

Back in December, I bought a used 2015 JK Rubicon with 36k miles on it. I started noticing a tick when pulling through drive-thrus or when a car was beside me with the window down coming from the driver's side. About a month after owning it, I was pulling out of my neighborhood when the engine started missing and shaking, followed by a check engine light. I pulled the code and it was a P0201, Injector Circuit/Open Cylinder 1. I called the dealership and they told me it wasn't covered under the powertrain warranty, but I replaced it myself with an aftermarket part for about $100. Seemed to run strong again, but still had that ticking noise.

Today I was driving home from work, pulling a pretty decently steep ridge when it started missing and shaking again. I got the chime, the check engine light, but then it started flashing and chiming repeatedly. The CIL would stay solid if you stayed off the gas, but would chime and blink if you tried to give it any gas whatsoever. I pulled over and checked the codes and got P0304 cylinder 4 misfire and P2311 ignition coil D secondary circuit. Started it back up and it ran fine, so I drove it home and reset the code.

After I got home, I was going to run to the store to grab some things. I left the house and drove maybe a mile down the road when the light came on again, then the engine started missing again. I eased it home and parked it in the driveway. Hooked it back up to the code reader and got the same codes: P0304 and P2311. I also noticed that a tick has developed on the passenger side near the middle of the head (the driver's side ticking noise comes from the center cylinder as well). When driving it home, my ODB2 reader would beep as it threw more codes (P0304 over and over). I only drove it about a mile back.

The Jeep now has 39k miles on it... am I crazy for thinking it's too soon for all of this to fail? I've heard that P0304 has been related to head problems, and I'm really starting to think that I got some bad heads. I have also started noticing a faint anti-freeze smell when I shut it off in the garage. There are no dripping leaks, and no noticeable coolant loss.

I am using my roadside assistance to have it towed to the dealer tomorrow. Do you guys think this could be the same problem others have experienced with the heads failing, causing other components to fail? Are the cylinders in the middle the ones that shut off for "Eco" mode? Is that related to the head issues these 3.6's have?

Here's hoping that the dealership covers it... any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

1997 TJ, 5.9L Magnum, 46RE, 99 Durango drivetrain donor, 4" lift, 4.56 D35/D30
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-10-2018, 08:34 AM
propped1

2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
You make sure youre full on fluids? 15s had radiator issues. You get a car fax on it? If it had a radiator issue and the engine over heated, it may have affected something. Top end ticking is usually an oiling issue. If you are getting misfires, you pull any plugs to check? Coil pack working normal? I have an 07... granted a different engine, but in 103K have replaced two injectors. Plugs and wires I replaced at 65K. Coil has always been good.

4" lift, PR 44, PR 60, 5.13, 37 Toyo MT, ATX Slabs, Skids, PSC Big Bore, 2Way
post #3 of 6 Old 05-10-2018, 09:58 AM
jtec

2014 JK Wrangler 

you should have had jeep correct the P020x code - may have some reflashing available.

You currently have an issue with #4 coil or plug. the flashing CEL is an attention getter as cat damage is likely...

I think a professional diagnoses is a good idea especially with warranty coverage...

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 6 Old 05-11-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
tjchris84
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
you should have had jeep correct the P020x code - may have some reflashing available.

You currently have an issue with #4 coil or plug. the flashing CEL is an attention getter as cat damage is likely...

I think a professional diagnoses is a good idea especially with warranty coverage...
Thanks for the replies. I had it towed to the dealer and didn't drive it much when the light was flashing. I already got the Jeep back today, and here's what they found:

The ticking noise was noted as failed rocker arm bearings. They replaced all the rocker arms and both valve cover gaskets under power train warranty. Sounds a lot better now!

The #4 coil pack was bad, he moved it to another cylinder and confirmed it followed. They replaced the plug and the coil pack. They charged $169 for this as it wasn't covered under power train warranty.

Along with that, they flashed an "emissions recall." It may be in my head, but it seems a little less peppy... but it could also be that I've been driving the 5.9L TJ while the JK was in the shop 😛 Maybe I'll be able to tell for sure tomorrow.

post #5 of 6 Old 05-11-2018, 07:57 PM
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

What I know on this with the 3.6 is a bit sketchy, but relates to the #4 coil pack not getting enough cool air flow and eventually overheating. The “tick” is fairly common but seemed to have been cured by the ‘14 model year.

Jeeps: Where my 401(k) went to die!

Last edited by SoK66; 05-24-2018 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Remove unwanted characters from iPhone text
post #6 of 6 Old 05-12-2018, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
tjchris84
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
What I know on this with the 3.6 is a bit sketchy, but relates to the #4 coil pack not getting enough cool air flow and eventually overheating. The ¬“tick¬” is fairly common but seemed to have been cured by the ¬‘14 model year.
Thanks, that makes sense.

My tick returned today, and the service advisor wants me to bring it back in next week when the main engine tech will be available.

I've had 3 JKs before this (1 3.8 and 2 3.6) and none of them had as many problems as this Rubicon. Must have just gotten lucky with it, lol.

Tags
engine , head , ignition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in