2013 jku spark plug replacement - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By MildlyWild
  • 1 Post By 222Doc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-25-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Mj303

2013 jku spark plug replacement

I replaced my spark plugs here a little while back, I ended up putting in Iridium Fine Wire plugs and found that one of them was bad cause it would misfire and Iíd get a CEL P0302. Found our that, that plug was bad I put in an old one and the Jeep ran just fine. Now it started to misfire again with no CEL so I thought Iíd replace that old one and put the new one in. Took me awhile to do that as I just didnít have time to get it done. So I got that done and now I have that misfire again, still no CEL seems to get worse when I put a load on it like turning on the a/c. Iíve been reading and seeing videos and other posts that say to use the Mopar plugs, my question is, is do I have to just use the Mopar plugs from the dealer ship or Quadratec? Or can I also use the ones from advanced auto that are Champion Iridium Boxed RER8ZWYCB4?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-25-2019, 04:22 PM
MildlyWild

How about the coil packs? Sounds like you had an ok connection, then it started deteriorating, causing you to re-pop your P0302.

Another issue could be you've got the pentastar tick. Left cylinder head. Usually attributed to poor exhaust valve seats, resulting in low compression misfires. Pops P0302, P0304, or P0306. Warranty covered for 10year/100k miles.
Mj303 likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 03:25 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
unless it ticks i would not think its the dead head issue. the only way to test that is a leak down test. Mine had that back in 13.6. had 2 and 6 leaking exhaust valves. from new it ticked as well. ran well enough to about 20k. then it coded out and tapped out. they replaced the head. Why back in 2011 they were coined Pentatick.......

You never had an issue before you replaced the stock plugs or did it code then?

It coded after you put in the plugs. sure it has no code/s pending if a miss is felt, one would think. replacing the even side bank means pulling the intake. to do anything. even the leak down, plug or spark pack. not a great design for maintenance. sure the intake sealed up correctly.
Mj303 likes this.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Mj303

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyWild View Post
How about the coil packs? Sounds like you had an ok connection, then it started deteriorating, causing you to re-pop your P0302.

Another issue could be you've got the pentastar tick. Left cylinder head. Usually attributed to poor exhaust valve seats, resulting in low compression misfires. Pops P0302, P0304, or P0306. Warranty covered for 10year/100k miles.

Not really sure about the coil packs and Iím not sure if I have any other codes. I ordered the Mopar spark plugs from the dealership today so Iíll change them this next week and find out if thatís the problem. Everyone that I have spoken to says itís the spark plugs as well as everything Iíve seen on line and in the forums

post #5 of 7 Old 05-26-2019, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Mj303

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
unless it ticks i would not think its the dead head issue. the only way to test that is a leak down test. Mine had that back in 13.6. had 2 and 6 leaking exhaust valves. from new it ticked as well. ran well enough to about 20k. then it coded out and tapped out. they replaced the head. Why back in 2011 they were coined Pentatick.......

You never had an issue before you replaced the stock plugs or did it code then?

It coded after you put in the plugs. sure it has no code/s pending if a miss is felt, one would think. replacing the even side bank means pulling the intake. to do anything. even the leak down, plug or spark pack. not a great design for maintenance. sure the intake sealed up correctly.

No I never had an issue before this and the only other thing that I have replaced was the thermostat. This started when I replaced the spark plugs and he whole reason for even being in there was to replace a fuel line. I guess maybe I need to check the torque on the manifold again. Idk. Yes it coded after I replaced the plugs and thatís the only time it did it was when I had the new plugs in and now it did it when I replaced the old plug. As of now no codes but still have the misfire.

post #6 of 7 Old 06-05-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Mj303

Update:
So I changed my spark plugs. Went to the dealer and got the champion mopar plugs and installed them. Upon install I found that one of my coil pack boots had a pinhole in it with a white ring around the hole and also noticed the spring had a small burn mark on it. I tested each coil pack with my ohm meter and all of them tested 1.0. I moved that coil pack to the number one position just in case. Well yesterday my wife said that the check engine light came on so I ran the key to the on position 3 times and got a P0301 code so my suspicions were right. Now my question is can I just replace the boot or do I have to replace the whole coil pack? And if so what brand or part number do I have or need for the boot or the coil pack? I do appreciate the responses that I have received. Thank you in advance.

post #7 of 7 Old 06-05-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Mj303

Help!!! For some reason I cannot see the last reply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in